If you're thinking of buying a MacBook Pro or upgrading to Lion, think again

As of next week I will be MAC FREE!!! I'm so excited, no more overpriced, inferior hardware. We've now moved all of our Pro Tools rigs to Windows machines and they are faster, cheaper and more stable. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

So far I've replaced two Mac Pros (08 and 10 model) and an 2010 iMac. I'll be replacing my piece-of-crap MacBook Pro next week (although I'll hang on to it for a bit while I adjust to Cubase).

My records indicate I've spent just over $36000 on Mac machines over the past ten years. My first three Macs (A G4 and two G5s) were just brilliant machines and I was a definite fan boi back then. But since the Mac Pro I've had three HD failures, two motherboard failures, inexplicable crashes due to faulty RAM, and then just countless other crashes I can't explain. Macs just aren't quality anymore. Apple wants a profit, and replacing quality components with shite ones is an easy strategy.

So I'm done with this piece of shit company. No more paying $5K for a $2K machine. I liked Logic, but it's just not worth dealing with Apple's crap anymore. Hello Cubase.

Reactions: gpz
I've not had this issue at all and I've recently replaced my old mac after an incident to a 2011October MBP. Lion seems to be fine so far and I've not had any issues with wifi.

As of next week I will be MAC FREE!!! I'm so excited, no more overpriced, inferior hardware. We've now moved all of our Pro Tools rigs to Windows machines and they are faster, cheaper and more stable. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.
This is also a growing trend with Photography and I’m talking pros. A shift from Mac to Windows the part that surprises me even a few people that have used nothing but Mac.

I use both but my personal stuff is all Windows, not bragging mind you Microsoft has had there clunkers, that’s for sure! (Vista, before service pack 2, Millennium) 98 was kind of sucked too, come to think of it. Point being everybody gets a turn at the wheel, even when it comes to screwing up at times.

That's most likely a different issue. The OS in the iDevices turns off the wifi radio to save battery each and every time the device is locked. This causes problems for a lot of routers as they see the repeated connection attempts (when the phone is unlocked) as an attack and will limit or cut off the access to that mac address. Also, on some routers, the DHCP pool gets corrupted by all the connections/disconnects on the wifi in that period of time. Resetting the router will help, but isn't a solution. Apple knows about this problem too and hasn't corrected it.
I’m kind of surprised about DHCP problems, with I-devices. Even with the on/off thing, when the device is powered and request an address the DHCP server should look at the mac address and hand back the same address as long it is within the lease time. I could see a problem if it was an open network. And every person walking by and driving by with a I-device is grabbing an address automatically. And with a 24 hour lease on addresses (for my work network) and in my case hundreds of cars passing daily and a fair amount with devices looking for networks, yeah you can burn up the pool real quick. But that would not be the fault of the I-devices.

It is pretty amazing: a couple of weeks ago I had a Kindle with me and wanted to put it on the work network instead of typing the key which is very lengthy so just mailed the key to myself and opened up the security on one of our access points for no more than 4-5 mins so the Kindle could get the email and do a cut and paste of the key. Within that short time, my Kindle took an address and so did 22 other devices.

I’m kind of surprised about DHCP problems, with I-devices. Even with the on/off thing, when the device is powered and request an address the DHCP server should look at the mac address and hand back the same address as long it is within the lease time. I could see a problem if it was an open network. And every person walking by and driving by with a I-device is grabbing an address automatically. And with a 24 hour lease on addresses (for my work network) and in my case hundreds of cars passing daily and a fair amount with devices looking for networks, yeah you can burn up the pool real quick. But that would not be the fault of the I-devices.

It is pretty amazing: a couple of weeks ago I had a Kindle with me and wanted to put it on the work network instead of typing the key which is very lengthy so just mailed the key to myself and opened up the security on one of our access points for no more than 4-5 mins so the Kindle could get the email and do a cut and paste of the key. Within that short time, my Kindle took an address and so did 22 other devices.

We were surprised too when we found it in the lab. This is on a secured network-WPA minimum security, not open with at minimum 128 addresses in the pool. 3 different branded routers would intermittently experience DHCP server corruption when iDevices were integrated into the LAN and locked/unlocked more than one time. In most cases, the DHCP server tries to assign a new ip address instead of handing back the original ip and the new address is a "generic" address outside the workable range in the router pool so no connectivity. Strange for sure. But, remove the IOS devices from the wifi network--no problems. We conferred with Apple and got the typical answer--known issue, no fix at this time. One could say it's the routers fault, but the problem is seen on different wifi chipsets on different brands of routers. The common denominator is the IOS devices. The constant disconnect/reconnect attempts are the root cause.

We were surprised too when we found it in the lab. This is on a secured network-WPA minimum security, not open with at minimum 128 addresses in the pool. 3 different branded routers would intermittently experience DHCP server corruption when iDevices were integrated into the LAN and locked/unlocked more than one time. In most cases, the DHCP server tries to assign a new ip address instead of handing back the original ip and the new address is a "generic" address outside the workable range in the router pool so no connectivity. Strange for sure. But, remove the IOS devices from the wifi network--no problems. We conferred with Apple and got the typical answer--known issue, no fix at this time. One could say it's the routers fault, but the problem is seen on different wifi chipsets on different brands of routers. The common denominator is the IOS devices. The constant disconnect/reconnect attempts are the root cause.

Suggestion if your gear can do it: Something that might help

For my network I have a Linksys/Cisco (RV042) and two wireless access points to handle phones laptops and so on, nothing big 30 clients at the most, if everyone brings in all their stuff. The DHCP pool is set at default which is 100-149. However this router can assign static addresses outside the DHCP pool I guess you would call it Dynamic/Static (see screen shot) and notice the addresses are outside the pool each device will always get the same IP address. However if I give one of the devices an address within the pool it will (I guess take it out of the pool) for that device will always end up with the same IP address.
BTW I only do this for easier administration by mac address, device, and user. Also if somebody brings in a device and plugs in the key it will grab an address from the DHCP pool and I’ll know and hunt down who it is and enter it accordingly.

Point being we have two Iphone 4’s and a Ipad, all three are entered in my dynamic/static table and they never try to grab addresses in the pool.

It’s just a though as you already know every network is different, might help might not but I figured I would throw it out there.

John

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 5
The company I work for just recently purchased a MacBook Pro... Coming from a Windows environment I have to say... It's been the most frustrating time I've ever had just maneuvering around the OS... I personally hate it. I tried to create a DVD movie from a couple of mpg and mov files and it had to convert the file for iMovie to recognize the mov file... Then it didn't even accept the mpg files... So I decided to just author the DVD with just the mov files but the "finalize" option was grayed out and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to enable that option... After several hours of frustration I tried to do the same thing in Windows 7 with zero issues... Easy, my ass! Wait, I'm not saying my ass is easy... I'm just saying that... Never mind!

The company I work for just recently purchased a MacBook Pro... Coming from a Windows environment I have to say... It's been the most frustrating time I've ever had just maneuvering around the OS... I personally hate it. I tried to create a DVD movie from a couple of mpg and mov files and it had to convert the file for iMovie to recognize the mov file... Then it didn't even accept the mpg files... So I decided to just author the DVD with just the mov files but the "finalize" option was grayed out and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to enable that option... After several hours of frustration I tried to do the same thing in Windows 7 with zero issues... Easy, my ass! Wait, I'm not saying my ass is easy... I'm just saying that... Never mind!

Your judging an OS when you most likely are a veteran windows user. Of course things aren't the same; If they were the same then why would there be different OS's. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it is the most difficult thing for everyone. Not to cut you down, but this obviously is just a bash Mac thread at this point. To the OP topic, I've experienced the problem when my MBP wakes up a few times but not as many as you have. Sometimes a trip to the Apple store and getting a little angry can fix everything. Or maybe consider a new router if possible.

To the OP topic, I've experienced the problem when my MBP wakes up a few times but not as many as you have. Sometimes a trip to the Apple store and getting a little angry can fix everything. Or maybe consider a new router if possible.

This has all been covered in the thread earlier ...

- It's not the "wake from sleep" issue.
- Apple has acknowledged it and there's no fix at this moment.
- It's not the router (Apple Time Capsule); other devices work okay.

Don’t get discouraged! Yeah it’s a bit of a learning curve (mostly just accessing stuff and some network configurations). Embrace it work with it, poke around allot, you will have it before you know it. It will only make you more versatile and valuable in the work place.

Most importantly, try to unlearn the old ways of doing things and learn the new ways. It's not Windows, it requires a different set of habits. Some folks never understand that.
After 6 months, Windows will look ugly and awkward.

Most importantly, try to unlearn the old ways of doing things and learn the new ways. It's not Windows, it requires a different set of habits. Some folks never understand that.
After 6 months, Windows will look ugly and awkward.

Nope, gotta disagree. After using the Mac OS for ten years, I find that the Mac OS is just plain clunky and awkward. You can't delete a file just by pressing delete. You can't switch applications just with the mouse. You never know what applications you have open (unless you hit the keyboard). You have to learn all sorts of tricks and workarounds for things which Windows just plain tells you. There is no "rename" option in the right click menu in Finder.

There is no doubt that the Mac OS was infinitely better than Windows 98. However Windows has improved greatly and I think Apple is clinging to past glory.

Well, I work at a pretty large company with thousands of macs (all types). I'm not aware of this particular issue with Lion. My team has around 50 or so macs. I'd like to genuinely help if possible, however, there isn't much in this thread to go on. I don't know if I would trust AppleCare with their response to this particular issue. So my recommendation is to not give up hope just yet!

From what I gather, it sounds as if the problem with your macbook pro has to do with the lack of wireless "Range" from your TimeCapsule. Is this true? Is it possible to run a test and validate your signal strength/noise at various distances from your TimeCapsule?

Also, are you using 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz or both? If the problem is related to network strength, check your TimeCapsule and find out what channel your are using. Try testing using a non overlapping channel (if possible).

Using System-Reporter... here is a partial output of results from my macbook air running Mountain Lion (sorry) to the latest hardware/software version of the Apple Extreme:

Interfaces:
en0:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0xE9)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.57.11)
MAC Address: b8:8d:12:01:12:98
Locale: FCC
Country Code: US
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
Wake On Wireless: Supported
AirDrop: Supported

Current Network Information:
wireless-express:
PHY Mode: 802.11n
BSSID: 28:cf:da:ba:95:78
Channel: 149,1
Country Code: US
Network Type: Infrastructure
Security: WPA2 Personal
Signal / Noise: -73 dBm / -87 dBm
Transmit Rate: 81
MCS Index: 10

Good Luck

Yikes! My 2009 17" MacBook Pro is upgrading to Lion as we speak...

I was perfectly content with Snow Leopard, and was using it (along with XCode 4.2) for developing my AxePad software for the iPad.

Then, just yesterday, I upgraded my iPad to iOS 5.1 from iOS 5.0.

BAM! XCode 4.2 is no longer compatible with my iPad. I have to ugprade to XCode 4.3 in order to get the iOS 5.1 SDK.

AND.... wait for it... XCode 4.3 ONLY runs on Lion!!

So, what I thought was a simple upgrade of my iPad OS has turned into a major saga with me HAVING to upgrade to Lion AND upgrade to XCode 4.3 in order to continue development.

Nothing like being forced to upgrade huh? :)

I got nailed on the XCode 4.3 only on Lion crap too. I paid for XCode 4.2 on App Store and didn't save the install package locally, Apple has removed XCode 4.2 from App Store so it's pay $100/year for Apple Developer which does have 4.2 or upgrade to Lion and get XCode 4.3 free. I should have paid the $100 to stay on Snow Leopard! I've hit a number of known Lion bugs that just shouldn't be in a released product and have no expectation at this point that Apple's going to fix Lion: if you change the root password and can't log in - try the old password. If you see odd things with file permissions on files created in Linux - it's not you (you may or may not get an error). If you're machine sleeps and on recovery the screen goes dark and the machine is locked up - it really is locked up). With Lion, just because you didn't get an error message doesn't mean an error didn't occur!

When I first upgraded to Lion I spent days trying to figure out what I was doing wrong - over and over it was bugs in Lion.

Last edited:
You just can't please some people. Apple releases new OS versions every 1.5 years for $49 and gives the IDE away for free. Microsoft charges $270 for the OS and $500 for the IDE. That's, like, a cost of an iPad right there.

Reactions: jon
Nope, gotta disagree. After using the Mac OS for ten years, I find that the Mac OS is just plain clunky and awkward. You can't delete a file just by pressing delete. You can't switch applications just with the mouse. You never know what applications you have open (unless you hit the keyboard). You have to learn all sorts of tricks and workarounds for things which Windows just plain tells you. There is no "rename" option in the right click menu in Finder.

There is no doubt that the Mac OS was infinitely better than Windows 98. However Windows has improved greatly and I think Apple is clinging to past glory.

That just illustrates my point perfectly. On the Mac, you delete files by pressing Command+Delete, you most certainly can switch applications with just the mouse (and the trackpad, in, like, five different ways), you always know which applications you have open (they have highlights in the dock), and to rename, you just click on the filename.

You're trying to use it like Windows. It is NOT Windows. You have to learn how to use it properly, instead of cursing at it and expecting that it will bend to your will. Or switch to Windows, that's fine, too.

Reactions: jon
@Plexi59 - I was addressing the claim that "Windows will look ugly and awkward" by comparison. I've heard this many times and frankly it has NO basis in fact.

I've used OSX every day for the past three years, and I still just don't like it. I find it clunky and awkward, many simple tasks often require key combinations and this drives me up the wall. I know how to change filenames, but the lack of a rename option just irks me. The info I want is nearly always a couple of steps away, rather than immediately available. And when you close the final window, the app doesn't quit. I freaking hate that.

Sure, many people prefer OSX and I'm happy for them. Others like myself prefer Windows. But these blanket claims that OSX is any way "superior" or "less awkward" or "more attractive" (or whatever) are simply NOT true. They're just different.

Back
Top Bottom