If you wanted to re-visit 4.0

juka

how would you proceed?

The new 7.01 may be great, but it rendered all my patches useless beyond recovery and I simply cannot get them fixed again under the new firmware. Everything I tried didn't even get me close and I have to admit I'm not very talented in fixing wrong sounding patches.

As Danny's VH patch which I use 50% of the time sounded best on 4.0 I tried to go back in time. I had 4.0 still on my computer and a full backup from this time, so I used the bot to re-install the firmware and backup.

When the current version of Axe-Edit (minimum requirement 6.02) didn't recognize my AX8 I didn't care, but when I found out that all patches on the AX8 were gone and the device acted really strange, I went back up immediately.

So what's the correct way to go back to a very old firmware successfully?

If the patches show up as blank it usually means the presets were created/saved on a later version of firmware than you are running.

If you get it working, ask around here. There is an archive of old software and a table off which editor version goes with which firmware version. That way you can get one that works.

If you don't have a correct backup, maybe you could load the presets via FracTool? It could read the backup and create a "new" preset from the backup that I think would not be tied to the firmware version.

So what's the correct way to go back to a very old firmware successfully?

Here's the method:
  1. Before doing anything, do a full complete backup, and verify that the backup was successful.
  2. Using FractalBot, install V4.01. I recommend 4.01 because the only difference between 4.00 and 4.01 are some important bug fixes and that won't affect your preset tones.
  3. Using FractalBot, restore the backup that was made from 4.01, 4.00, or older. It's important that the presets in the backup were made with that firmware (or older), not a newer firmware. The backup should include everything (all preset banks, all cab banks, and system settings), to be safe, since you’re going backwards.
  4. Install AX8-Edit 1.4.2 from the unofficial archive. 1.4.0 was the version released with V4.00; 1.4.1 was released with V4.01 and then a few days later 1.4.2 with minor bug fixes.
@Admin M@ has an archive method he’s described using for touring artists, which is basically to save the firmware, Edit installer, and associated full backups into a folder labeled with the firmware version and date. Save a folder like that after perfecting your tones on any particular firmware. Also useful for recording sessions.

You can also use FracTool to open presets made on a more recent firmware, it will patch preset version to one compatible with the fasDevice connected

Back
Top Bottom