If You Don't Own a Les Paul, You Don't Have Good Tone...

Imagine if all musicians use the same guitar brand or type. That would be a shame since we will lose the musical diversity that makes all of us happy. Variety IS the spice of life.

Gibson's are great but that comment is bullshit. Out of my guitar collection I think my Ernie Ball JP6 and my tele sound the best. I'm finishing a homemade Charvel looking Floyd Rose style guitar so we'll see how that sounds!

I've had similar comments before about needing a Les Paul before, although I don't imagine anyone's going to tell me that after coming off the stage (7-string Ibanez RGs). I do play 6s occasionally at home though.

Personally, there's pretty much nothing I like about playing an LP. Don't like the necks, the shorter scale, the bulky neck joint, the weight, the shape and balance, the neck angle, the control layout, etc. etc. For me, they're pretty much useless. It's nothing about finding the "right one" or the QC or anything; the design is pretty much just everything I don't want in a guitar. The only time I'll ever own one is if I somehow one day I'm absurdly rich and have run out of more useful things to buy. Even then, I suppose I'd probably rather give the money to a charity or something. :lol

I owned an Edwards Flying V once that was much the same (seemed a good idea at the time I bought it :lol). Sounded amazing, but I just couldn't play the thing properly, so it had to go.

if someone told me "you need a Les Paul"
I think I'd reply "you need to foxtrot oscar"

a wise man once said..

Les Paul's have more tone
and tone is in the fingers
therefore Les Paul's have more fingers

all BS.. old school thinking. I took the pepsi challenge, bougt a nice Traditional Pro Plus, a/b'd with my drop top and a few other guitars and it was no better or worse. Paul went back.

Guitar snobbery is so last year. First of all, at times during their tenure as guitar makers, both Gibson and Fender have made TERRIBLE guitars. Secondly, variety is the spice of life - that's why so many of us have several guitars. Thirdly, I love weird guitars - my beaten-to-hell '58 danelectro sounds like nothing else - even any other danny's I've heard or played. Some of us like quirky, off-brand guitars, for their character, and for their UN-Les-Paul, UN-Strat sound! I find the most snobby traditionalists are the LP types - the people who idolize Slash, particularly (funny, since he has some pretty non-standard LPs, and has played other axes at times). There is no way Frank Zappa would have gotten his tone with anything other than an SG - and indeed, when he changed to strat-style guitars, something got lost. Then there are the David Lindley's of the world, who play all kinds of stuff, again, because each has a unique tone. For me, I recently bought an Epiphone SG that was much, much better than the current brand new Gibsons I've tried? Why? The neck's thinner (though by no means dainty) and the pups sound more authentic to the early 60's.

Snobs have closed minds. They are followers, not leaders. pay them no mind.

to be honest, I've never liked LP's at all..
don't like the look or the feel...
they're just not for me...

and being a leftie spaz, I've never had a great deal of choice and have generally be restricted to mid-range instruments..
all the really beautiful high end stuff is "right hand only"
it's so frustrating and infuriating...

so.. I grabbed a couple of RG470's, slung great pups on them, set em up real good
and got them to punch well above their weight...

same with my Fender Strat...
that had several visits to a custom shop to bring up to the specs I needed..

more recently though I've been very very fortunate..
my Morgan V6's are as good as it gets..

I don't like sitting down with a Les Paul... I hate it. I would rather sit with a V style!!! But other than that... I have no beef. Fender guy myself. Strat style in general, but I could rock a Lifeson Les Paul. They are insane. Sound beautiful. Play great.

I change it up all the time, though I do try to make sure that the primary and backup for a gig are very similar. So, two suhr, or two PRS, or two LPs. Had some issues with guitars that were too different and having to tweak too much for my liking.

I love MY Les Paul. It's my go-to guitar. Of course, I have played other Pauls that sounded and looked like shite. And one of those guitars might have been someone else's dream machine.

+1 for the play what you like comments. I think good LPs are superb instruments, but could never quite get along with the body/neck joint when playing got up there. I did have one Standard that I could not get to play in tune over the entire fretboard no matter what I adjusted, so not all LPs are created equal.

I've found, though, that most guitars made of the same woods with similar humbuckers get (or can get) that similar tone. As an example, I can match my LPs tone with either my PRS 513 or Carvin CT6, if the need arises. Play whatever inspires you, tell your LP friend you don't need a match maker.

For a long time i thought that i needed a les paul for a good tone. well i didnt conciously think that but it was probably ingrained into my brain somehow. Anyway i got an epiphone and had it setup that it played good and my brother-in-law just bought a real les paul and came by the other week to jam. Well my epiphone wasnt that far off the real les paul as far as sounds. They were different but not as much as $1800 different. Long story short, the sounds are nice but i really like a fendery sound better. I find myself wanting that bright nasal fender tone. I dont know why but it just sounds right to me? Tone is different to everyone.

I have to say though, I sure would love a go at the new Gibson Alex Lifeson Axis model LP. Being a fan of Piezo systems, and to have one on a Floyd Rose trem I'm sure is insane. I really cant think of a better guitar for a Piezo than Les Paul but I would have to play through one to compare. The biggest issue for me is that LP necks are so bulky.

I have to say though, I sure would love a go at the new Gibson Alex Lifeson Axis model LP. Being a fan of Piezo systems, and to have one on a Floyd Rose trem I'm sure is insane. I really cant think of a better guitar for a Piezo than Les Paul but I would have to play through one to compare. The biggest issue for me is that LP necks are so bulky.

I have a Graphtech piezo on mine installed by my local tech. I love it. I prefer the bulkier 50's necks. It feels more substantial with the heavy strings I use (.60 on low C#)

Ahhh ... so that's why Petrucci's tone is so terrible ...... and as for Van Halen ... totally crap tone that. If only they'd bought a Les Paul then dug a hole in it for a trem system when they were starting out they would be much more toneful .... hell, maybe even famous!

Back
Top Bottom