If You Don't Own a Les Paul, You Don't Have Good Tone...

I've owned lots of different guitars over the years but oddly nothing that I've really bonded so strong with that I couldn't live without. I now make purchases based on specific needs and not to find that one guitar that can do it all or has all of the qualities that I might want. I have admired the tone of many a rock legend that have played the Gibson Les Paul. This is what ultimately led me to get one and not give up until I found one that I really like. I've tried them on multiple occasions and wasn't impressed. On my most recent search I found a keeper. It is a 57 Goldtop ReIssue. Sounds and plays great and with incredible character. This is what I was looking for because of it's specific tonal characteristics. Could you get the same or similar tone from a different guitar with similar pickups? Maybe.

There is no right or wrong. Play what you like.

I love all my guitars.. They are different. That why i keep them :)

I`m getting a Tele next. All Brazilian rosewood neck and 80% of the body. It sound fantastic. It´s different.. That´s why i want it.

Tom Furuheim's Photos | Facebook

Last edited:
ha aha. Just did last night :DView attachment 14553

So good, in fact, that it made you fall over!
thumbsup.gif

You forgot to pull the mandatory 10-fret-stretch rock guitarist pose though! ;)

I agree with all the posts that say the guitar is a very subjective instrument. We all like what we like, but...

I remember just learning the guitar and visiting music stores where there were a few "real" Les Pauls hanging on the wall. Talk about absolute gotta have one jonesing. They hung in their special place - had to have chops just to take one down. But i was absolutely sure if I could somehow get one I would be playing Madison Square Garden in short order. I am an old guy now - I was looking at those music store walls in the early 70's. Well, i own a whole bunch of guitars now, but I think i will always have a Les Paul cause I never got over that wonder. There is a rock and roll song in there somewhere.

BTW - I did play MSG. A couple of times, but it was with a basketball in my hands. Almost the same...

Honestly, for me I can't seem to play anything decent with Les Pauls. Just not good with humbuckers or can't seem to get the muddiness out when I play. Even when I played a 335 the feedback I was getting with it, I couldn't play it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sound of those guitars but I just can't play them.

I do have to say that single coils are much more forgiving of mistakes... so perhaps that says it. I'm a sloppy player

hahahaha

Back
Top Bottom