If you could only have one...

hallissyc

So I just sold my Helix. Not for me. I picked up a Katana to try and punt the ball; it’s not why I thought it would be. I’m ready to move on.

I’m thinking about making the move to Fractal, but between the FM3 and the Axe Fx 3. I’m strictly a home player, no gigs.

What’s the best move for that? I’m not an entirely too serious player. I like being able to be versatile. I play anything from blues to metal. Which one would you choose?

The Axe-FX III is the best move, without any doubt, unless portability is a requirement.

I am neither a too serious player, but I take refined enjoyment seriously :cool:

As bighness has said, the decision is up to your budget

Last edited:
3 - definitely.
Only disadvantage is more weight and your use case doesn't care about that!
Welcome.
Thanks
Pauly

So I just sold my Helix. Not for me. I picked up a Katana to try and punt the ball; it’s not why I thought it would be. I’m ready to move on.

I’m thinking about making the move to Fractal, but between the FM3 and the Axe Fx 3. I’m strictly a home player, no gigs.

What’s the best move for that? I’m not an entirely too serious player. I like being able to be versatile. I play anything from blues to metal. Which one would you choose?

FM3 is a great stage device but I bought a 3 because I simply don't like limitations – not what I bought into Fractal for.
This. I'm sure the FM3 would've been more than good enough for me, but I figured if I'm making the jump to Fractal I want to go all the way, didn't want to half ass anything. I think if the portability really really matters to you then get the FM3, but otherwise the Axe Fx 3 is just better. It's still portable enough for me to carry my whole live setup myself.

You may not need the FC at home. You can get any cheap controller with more switches and without fancy displays, because the Axe-FX will probably be over your desk. And there are cheaper expression pedals that will do the job. I've been using the same Roland EV-5 around 30 years without issues.

If cost is no issue, the 3 for sure. Cost was an issue for me, so the FM3 was a great price point to get into Fractal and while I wish I could justify the cost of the 3, I'm still way happier than I was with Helix. If you don't need the horsepower the 3 has to offer, the FM3 is a great device at a great price for what you get. The only downside so far (for me) is waiting on the sidelines while all these guys rave about Cygnus and I can only sit here patiently and wait for it to make it's way to the FM3.

If cost is no issue, the 3 for sure. Cost was an issue for me, so the FM3 was a great price point to get into Fractal and while I wish I could justify the cost of the 3, I'm still way happier than I was with Helix. If you don't need the horsepower the 3 has to offer, the FM3 is a great device at a great price for what you get. The only downside so far (for me) is waiting on the sidelines while all these guys rave about Cygnus and I can only sit here patiently and wait for it to make it's way to the FM3.
What are you monitoring with?

You may not need the FC at home. You can get any cheap controller with more switches and without fancy displays, because the Axe-FX will probably be over your desk. And there are cheaper expression pedals that will do the job. I've been using the same Roland EV-5 around 30 years without issues.
Are you using an FRFR or going into an amp/cab?

Back
Top Bottom