IEM + FRFR Cab?

Hey guys, who is using his unit with IEM and an extra wedge, FRFR cab or whatever?
I had a Gig yesterday where I didn‘t use IEM for the first time in 3 years and had just a Elis 8 with me.
It was really loud so the Elis could’t handle the stage volume. But it was a different feeling
and I missed the amp in a room feel.
I thought about the QSC 12.2 as an extra wedge just for my sonic pleasure in front of me with the IEM.
Just to have a bit of extra balls and interaction feeling through the speaker, FM3 and the guitar.

Thanks

I use an EV PMX12-MP with just the guitar running through it in front of me along with IEMS. It works really well. I generally need a lot less of me in the IEMS, and I do notice that the guitar has a bit less of a connected feel when I turn the monitor off. The main reason I use it is for the rest of the band to hear me, as I’m the only one on in-ears, but it’s a nice side-benefit.

-Aaron

I use IEM occasionally with also 1 or 2 RCF NX-12SMAs. I'm usually using at least one FRFR cab on every gig, then add more cabinets if I need the volume. Add the IEM if I need to monitor for things like the click.

If you need more "interaction" speaker placement is important. Don't just stick it right in front of you, the beam may be hitting your ears but not the guitar. Play with different placements, even behind you to get the most interaction.

I play IEM and bring a Dynacord ASM12X just as a backup system. Recently I had just the IEM with me - all went well but I felt uncomfortable with no backup. Sound through ASM12X is amazing nevertheless :)

Hey guys, who is using his unit with IEM and an extra wedge, FRFR cab or whatever?
I had a Gig yesterday where I didn‘t use IEM for the first time in 3 years and had just a Elis 8 with me.
It was really loud so the Elis could’t handle the stage volume. But it was a different feeling
and I missed the amp in a room feel.
I thought about the QSC 12.2 as an extra wedge just for my sonic pleasure in front of me with the IEM.
Just to have a bit of extra balls and interaction feeling through the speaker, FM3 and the guitar.

Thanks
My band uses QSC 12.2 for mains. We all use in ears so no stage volume. I use shure 535 and my fm3 sounds amazing. 90% of the time I only use 1 in ear and listen to the mains with the other ear and it sounds great. I find with both in ears in, it sounds flat without any ambient noise.

missed it because no IEMs? what provided this feel before?
Thanks Chris, sorry for not being super clear.
I’ve been using great custom made in ears for about 3 years now. The gig I had on Thursday was the first I had without. As Pete thorn said, you play more fearless without in ears. Something I didn’t expect….so I try to combine both worlds. The sustain you get from the Speakers is something you don’t experience with in ears imho…

Thanks Chris, sorry for not being super clear.
I’ve been using great custom made in ears for about 3 years now. The gig I had on Thursday was the first I had without. As Pete thorn said, you play more fearless without in ears. Something I didn’t expect….so I try to combine both worlds. The sustain you get from the Speakers is something you don’t experience with in ears imho…
ohhh gotcha (and rex helped too).

yeah having a speaker moving air is an integral part of "traditional" electric guitar, so these days being able to perform without that is definitely a different experience - many times needed or mandated!

the electric guitar comes alive when it can sometimes "hear" itself, with natural bloom and controlled feedback happening.

i don't gig anywhere that allows amps or on-stage sound these days, occasionally monitors in front, but never a backline anymore. the venues really want sound only coming through their mains. so IEMs are sometimes the only way to hear myself, and the venues really appreciate it and it keeps me hired.

music is such a commodity these days, and less of an art, and we have to play with the cards we're dealt. so being able to adapt to the requirements and learn how to thrive musically for oneself is a great skill to learn. but if you can get away with volume sometimes, go for it!

Back
Top Bottom