Ideas for a new firmware relese for the Ultra.

like with guitar, I'm getting the best bass sounds I ever had.
yes, technically there is only one bass amp, but the tube pre + eq + compression route is very powerful and many of the guitar amps do very cool things for bass.
Then there's the mix parameter on drive pedals and the ability to eq out the low end in the chorus block. Did I mention the truly excellent compressor?

Limited?
Only on paper.

Why use the Amp Block (or the Cab Block) at all if you're a bass player?
Most bass amps are solid state.
Most bass cabs are a form of FRFR.
All the amps modeled in the Amp Block were tube amps except for the JC120.
And I think that even the JC-120's power amp sim in the Axe is modeled on a tube power amp of some sort.
If I was a bass player using the Axe, I'd use one (or two) of the PEQ's to shape my tone, plus maybe a compressor, and then I'd be done.

Unless you're trying to create some sort of an historically accurate bass tone from the 1950s, IMO, you're better off not using the Amp Block at all for bass tones.

They should have an OPTIONAL Firmware 12 that uses G2 technology that really is just for amp/cab and barely any effects, knowing that the resources are being completely tapped out for the amps and cabs. Most users, especially the ones that use the full CPU of the Ultra/Standard, will just end up running Firmware 11.

It wouldn't hurt Fractal's sales for the AxeFX II as it's giving people a TASTE of the G2 technology without really giving them live functionality to be able to put all the effects they want. I think if the G2 technology is what they say it is, it should actually inspire more people to get the AxeFX II that would have never gotten to experience one any other way.
While it's a great idea, I don't think that can be done due to G2 architecture, algorithms, firmware and hardware.
If you want a "taste of G2 technology" you may have to buy the AxeFx II.

Joe, I was going to go off on you about some of your statements, but have refrained for fear of coming across too strong or harsh, and I'm not looking for a confrontation here.

This is a sort of "Firmware" wish list thread, is it not?

I'm not looking for ideas on how to get a bass sound at this time, though your input is greatly appreciated. ;)

Again, simply stated, it would be nice to know that bassists are at least considered just a teeny tiny little bit with a couple more amp/cab sims, that's all. I'm fine with it if it never happens, but I'd be pretty stoked if it DID.

To imply that bass guitarists wouldn't benefit from the same qualities of amp/cabinet simulation as 6 string guitarists is wrong, IMO, and borderline insulting. I'm sorry, and it really bothers me to say that.

Perhaps there are serious technical reasons why bass amp and cabinet sims are just not a workable item for the Axe Fx. I wouldn't know, but perhaps someone could enlighten me. I do know that it would be cool to be able to dial up a couple of signature bass rigs without needing to spend countless hours of tweaking, or having an degree in electrical engineering to understand how to make the Axe Fx accomplish something "kind of like" the same thing. 6 string guitarists post incessantly about their quest for "just that tone" on this forum.

Regardless, FAS makes fine equipment, and I'm glad I own an Ultra. that is all.

Joe, I was going to go off on you about some of your statements, vbut have refrained for fear of coming across too strong or harsh, and I'm not looking for a confrontation here.

Hey man, feel free to do what you feel you've got to do.
But there's no need for it.

I'm not looking for ideas on how to get a bass sound at this time, though your input is greatly appreciated. ;)

Maybe not.
But you don't seem to be aware of the power you've already got in your hands to be able to get the sound of virtually any bass amplifier that's already in existence.
I'm just trying to help point you in the right direction.

Again, simply stated, it would be nice to know that bassists are at least considered just a teeny tiny little bit with a couple more amp/cab sims, that's all. I'm fine with it if it never happens, but I'd be pretty stoked if it DID.

The algorithms used within the Axe-FX's Amp Block are all designed to be able to replicate the signal that a tube preamp coupled with a tube power amp puts out.
Sure, there is lip service payed to one solid state guitar amp, the Roland JC-120.
But check out the parameters that are available within the amp block for tweaking the JC-120 sim.
They are all based on tube amps.
You can defeat the power amp sim in the JC-120 sim (turn Sag to 0) so that there is no effect of the tube power amp simulation being heard.
But even the preamp section of the JC-120 sim is based around a tube preamp paradigm.
The only real similarities between the Axe's JC-120 preamp sim and the real thing is the gain structure and the tone stack.
I.e. The JC-120's preamp sim within the Axe is kind of like a JC-120 with at least 1 preamp tube in it.
I.e. There is no way to completely bypass the tube simulation within the Amp Block except to bypass the Amp Block itself.

Now, how many bass amps have you played through that use tubes either in the preamp or in the power amp?
Sure, there are hybrid designs out there that use a tube preamp coupled with a solid state power amp or a solid state preamp with a tube power amp.
And there was a time when all bass amps were all-tube designs.
But, by-and-large, most bass amps nowadays are all solid state designs.
The Axe's Amp Block is simply not designed to replicate an all solid-state amplifier.

Now, to the extant that certain models of ss/tube hybrid amps are popular within the bass playing community, I would agree that some fashion of representing these within the Amp Block would be cool.
A hybrid amp with tube preamp and ss power amp is already possible in the Axe by simply turning the Sag parameter in the Amp Block to 0.
Whether or not the tube preamp sim you're working with is suitable for a bass guitar (or string bass) depends on the sim, but I'm sure that many of the clean amp sims' preamp sims (eg. Tube Preamp, JC-120, Bassman, USA Clean, etc.), especially since you have the option of changing the tone stack, would get you in the ballpark.
Even in the Axe-II you won't be able to defeat the tube preamp sim within the Amp Block to create a hybrid amp with SS preamp and tube power amp though.

As a jazz guitar player myself, I tend to favor SS amps for jazz.
I even sent Cliff the schematics for a Pearce G2r, hoping to see it in the Axe's firmware at some point.
I'm sure that one of the reasons he's chosen not to model that amp is because it's all solid state and it just won't parse with the current Amp Block algorithms. He may have others reasons as well, but my guess is that that is at the top of the list.

To imply that bass guitarists wouldn't benefit from the same qualities of amp/cabinet simulation as 6 string guitarists is wrong, IMO, and borderline insulting. I'm sorry, and it really bothers me to say that.

It might be nice to have a few more IRs available of commonly used bass cabs.
But again, aren't most bass cabs simply designed for full-range frequency response?
I.e. Bass cabs do not filter the tone in the same fashion that a guitar cab does.
In a guitar amp, the cabinet is probably the single most important thing that shapes the tone that is heard by the listener.
In the studio, most bass players just plug into the mixer.
A guitar player would never do that, unless he was trying get a special effect of a really spanky kind of sound.

Perhaps there are serious technical reasons why bass amp and cabinet sims are just not a workable item for the Axe Fx. I wouldn't know, but perhaps someone could enlighten me. I do know that it would be cool to be able to dial up a couple of signature bass rigs without needing to spend countless hours of tweaking, or having an degree in electrical engineering to understand how to make the Axe Fx accomplish something "kind of like" the same thing. 6 string guitarists post incessantly about their quest for "just that tone" on this forum.

Regardless, FAS makes fine equipment, and I'm glad I own an Ultra. that is all.

So which bass amps that are out there in the real world would you like to see modeled within the Axe's Amp block?
Name a few of them please.
How many of them use tubes anywhere within their signal path?
I think the Mesa Walkabout series has a tube in its preamp, so there's 1.
How many of them use speaker cabs that are not essentially FRFR designs, with a tweeter of some sort?
Do bass players still use those Harte cabs with the 4 10" speakers with the aluminum dust caps? There's 1. But isn't there already an IR of that in the Axe?
The original 4 X 10" Fender Bassman was a bass amp.
So there's 2 of the bass cabs that don't use tweeters already available in the Axe.
What other, non-tweeter bass cabs would you like to see?

And, have you even tried to get your tone without using the Amp Block at all yet?
The signal path of a non-high-gain ss amp is very simple.
Input > EQ > Power Amp.
You don't need an amp block to do that on the Axe.

Last edited:
Wow. I'm absolutely floored by this last post. Really.

So which bass amps that are out there in the real world would you like to see modeled within the Axe's Amp block?
Name a few of them please.
How many of them use tubes anywhere within their signal path?

Eden VT300B All Tube Bass Amplifier
Mesa Boogie Bass 400+
Peavey Tour VB-2 Tube Bass Amp Head
Orange Amplifiers AD Series AD200B 200W Tube Bass Amp Head
Sadowsky SA200
Ampeg B15
Aguilar DB 359 Tube Bass Head

These are current bass heads, and the list could get a bit long if I wanted to expand this to vintage and out-of-production models.

or just go to this web page for a fairly good cross-section of what exists out there right now for quality all tube bass heads:

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/all-tube-bass/jun-08/85595

Somehow my simple request for Bass Amp sims and cab sims got twisted into a totally different discussion about bass recording techniques and solid state versus tube amplification, etc.

Joe, out of respect for your position as a musician and a teacher, and as my elder, I will now bow out of this discussion. Clearly, you and I are coming from different worlds when it comes to our feelings on bass guitar amplification.

I'd encourage my bassist brothers (and sisters) to weigh in on some of Joe's bullet points:

Now, how many bass amps have you played through that use tubes either in the preamp or in the power amp?

But, by-and-large, most bass amps nowadays are all solid state designs.

But again, aren't most bass cabs simply designed for full-range frequency response?
I.e. Bass cabs do not filter the tone in the same fashion that a guitar cab does.
In a guitar amp, the cabinet is probably the single most important thing that shapes the tone that is heard by the listener.

In the studio, most bass players just plug into the mixer.
A guitar player would never do that, unless he was trying get a special effect of a really spanky kind of sound.

Have fun! :D

I'm very interested to see what others have to say about some of Mr. Goldstein's presumptions and assumptions. I stated earlier that I wasn't looking to be confrontational, but it appears that this is exactly what joegold is trying to bait me into. I'm not biting. Sorry. If you think this thread took a turn for the worse, you should see me when I AM being confrontational. :eek: which is why I'm not going there.

I think it's a case of "like meets like" :p I've seen Joe whine about lots of things "no one" else is interested in either ;)

Me, I have nothing against a few new bass amps, but the problem is that it might attract new bass players and that whole crowd will start whining for more yet. I'd rather have it stay guitar specific, though in theory, there should be space for more than 100 new amps and I could stand 5 or so bass amps in that. The new Axe might be the solution for you guys (w plenty more amp space, as I understand).

Joe, whether you believe it or not, all-tube bass amps do have some redeeming qualities. Or, do you think this is some kind of scam? Do you think all of these manufacturers of quality bass amps are just pulling the wool over everyone's eyes? Nobody's looking for your stamp of approval here. In my world, this is reality.

Now, for the same reasons that 6 string guitarists would like all of the benefits of, for example, a Mesa Boogie head with a 4x12 cabinet - but without the physical hassles and maintenance - emulated in a processor like the Axe-Fx, we BASSISTS would also like bass rig simulations for the exact same reasons.

Contrary to your held belief, bass tone does not begin and end with sonic clarity/purity via direct feed or FRFR speaker systems. This is true for or some, or even many, perhaps, but not ALL bassists feel this way, trust me. Some, like myself, like to have an all tube bass amp (and its companion cabinet) impart its sonic footprint on our tone....just like 6 string guitarists.

My chosen "boat anchor" rig is the Ampeg SVT w/8x10 cabinet. I go for this sound with the Axe-Fx so now I have a fair sonic representation of an SVT rig but without the necessity of actually carrying it around.

I would love to have a simulation of the Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ head with some Mesa 4x10 or 2x15 cabinets, or some of the real old school signature amps like the Marshall Super Bass or Acoustic 360 rigs. All bassists have their list of favorites (usually AFTER the Ampeg SVT, and who can blame us?).

No harm, no foul, Joe. I appreciate where you are coming from.

But it is my strong belief that there is not much difference between the wants and needs of bassists OR 6 string electric players in terms of amplifier and speaker simulation. The benefits may not be immediately apparent to you in your realm as a jazz musician, but for those of us who are steeped in sounds with their origins in classic rock, progressive hard rock, classic heavy metal, grunge, and modern metal, this stuff really does matter.

I am not a bass player by any stretch but it would be nice to have a few more bass models. Every once in a while I come across a need and a few more options would be cool.

I stand corrected.

But, have you actually tried getting your tone without using an Amp Block yet?

If what you want is access to the guitar world's overdrive toys you can always run your signal through a Drive Block or two.
If what you desire is to warm up the signal like you would with a real-world tube preamp, then you can use the Tube Pre sim in the Amp Block with its power amp sim defeated.
If what you want is a sim of a full tube amp signal path, then you could use the Tube Pre sim with its power amp sim on, or you could pick one of the other hyper clean amp sims, like the USA Clean.
If you want simulations of tube preamp distortion or tube power amp distortion then you've got even more sims to explore in the Axe.
If the amp sim you choose doesn't have a tone stack that does it for your application, then you can use a PEQ block in front of the Amp Block (as well as post Amp Block if you need to) while keeping the amp sim's tone controls fairly flat.

If you really think that you really need accurate sims of those particular real-world all-tube amps you've referenced in this thread, then you'll have to keep whining here long and loud enough until Cliff does it for you.
I wouldn't expect much of that to actually happen in the near-term though.
But good luck.

But, have you actually tried getting your tone without using an Amp Block yet?

yes I have.

If what you want is access to the guitar world's overdrive toys you can always run your signal through a Drive Block or two.

A concescending and ridiculous statement. What if I would like the subtle or not-so-subtle overdrive characteristics of a particular all-tube bass amp? Is that not what amp modeling is all about?

If what you desire is to warm up the signal like you would with a real-world tube preamp, then you can use the Tube Pre sim in the Amp Block with its power amp sim defeated.

Yes, thank you for that tip. I do this on occasion.

If what you want is a sim of a full tube amp signal path, then you could use the Tube Pre sim with its power amp sim on, or you could pick one of the other hyper clean amp sims, like the USA Clean.
If you want simulations of tube preamp distortion or tube power amp distortion then you've got even more sims to explore in the Axe.

Evidently, tube bass amp sounds can be achieved in a one-size-fits-all manner, whereas you need some 50-odd guitar amp sims to cover the bases to meet the needs of 6 string players. OK. If you say so.

If you really think that you really need accurate sims of those particular real-world all-tube amps you've referenced in this thread, then you'll have to keep whining here long and loud enough until Cliff does it for you.

This is a Wish List forum thread, not a complaint thread or a thread lamenting that I cannot get a bass sound that I'm happy with. It is immature of you to term my posts as being "whiny", and unbecoming a person of your stature who is supposed to be an educator in music. Clearly you are trying to be antagonistic here, and I'm simply not going to indulge. You can think whatever you like. That's not going to change anything, and to be honest I don't really care what anyone here thinks of me anyway. It may be debatable that one could achieve just about any bass rig simulation that exists in the real world using the current set of Axe-Fx tools, but that's missing the point. I don't have the time or expertise to be able to dedicate to this quest. My wish is just a hope that maybe sometime Cliff uses is mastery of the technology to indulge bassists with a little something more, that's all.

I wouldn't expect much of that to actually happen in the near-term though.

Nor do I.

Me, I'm just a guy who likes to get out of the house every so often and play my bass. As an educator, Joe, do you really feel that your tone is being helpful and respectful? Engaging you has become an exercise in futility and a waste of my time. Post further if you wish - antagonize, name call, whatever....I have better battles to fight....later, daddy-o.

Really???

Joe,

I guess I wasn't in total agreement with all that you said. Here are some specific points of debate/contention:

But you don't seem to be aware of the power you've already got in your hands to be able to get the sound of virtually any bass amplifier that's already in existence.

To assume that you are correct (which you are NOT) regarding the Axe-FX's (or any other individual piece of gear's) ability to replicate "virtually any bass amplifier that's already in existence," WITHOUT the inclusion of an Amp-Block as you state, would be as short-sighted as stating that virtually any GUITAR sound could be replicated without the use of an Amp-Block - LOL! Certainly, electric-bass amp & tone and electric-guitar amp & tone replication are NOT identical tasks, just as the instruments' respective timbres and frequency-ranges differ. This is most obviously seen in the typical/standard choices of loudspeakers and cabinets used for each respective instrument (I.E: Guitarists typically favor lower-wattage 12" or 10" speakers in various configurations such as: 4x12; 2x12; 1x12; 4x10; 2x10, whereas Bassists usually favor a higher-wattage "fuller-frequency-range" - NOT necessarily FRFR though! - 10", 15", or 12" speakers - sometimes bi-amped/crossed-over and sometimes in conjunction with a horn/tweeter with separate power-amps to fascillitate the requisite energy-differences between lower-frequencies and higher-frequencies. Yes, this latter approach is similar to a typical full-range "F.O.H. P.A.-system." However, to suggest that ALL BASS AMP & SPEAKER TONES are of the "direct-injection/flat-as-the-instrument's-output/squeaky-clean unity-gain-structure" variety is a limited and narrow viewpoint of what is necessary to reproduce ALL (or just MANY) of history's great bass-amp & cab sounds (considering: style, genre, historical-perspective/era, orchestration-context, pick-versus-fingers, etc!) Sure, your description of what would be necessary to reproduce some of history's excellent bass-sounds is valid and accurate (I.E: Recording "instrument-to-direct-injection" in the studio - in the context of most "Pop," "Dance," and "Electric-Jazz/Fusion" Music.) However, this "narrow-view" of bass-amp/cab tone repoduction, does NOT take into account the approach that MANY Bassists in: Classic-Rock, Modern-Rock, Progressive-Rock, Grunge-Rock, Punk-Rock, Heavy Metal, Blues, etc. styles take/took to get their respective great sounds!

The Bottom-Line:

Can one get an (as in one or a couple of) excellent bass-tone(s) WITHOUT the use of an amp-block or model - YES!

Can one get VIRTUALLY ALL (as in...VIRTUALLY ALL!) excellent bass-amp-sounds in existence WITHOUT the proper-modeling of said/various historically accurate bass-amps (Tube OR Solid-State!) and their respective matched speaker-cabs as you suggest? Uhmmm...NOT A CHANCE!

And there was a time when all bass amps were all-tube designs.

OK, so why not model a couple of those old tube bass-amps, and add them to the list of amp-models?!? Furthermore, your contention that all of the newer bass-amps are solid-state is also a bit untrue. There are still some ALL-TUBE and Hybrid Tube/SS Bass-Amps out there, such as: Fender Bassman 300 Pro-Tube (NOT the lower-powered '59 Bassman favored by roots-rock/blues guitarists either - LOL!) HiWatt DR201, Ashdown 427 Smallblock, DP200H, and "Little-Bastard," Marshall VBA400, etc. Also, for you to suggest that ALL Solid-State Bass-Amps do NOT possess enough unique tonal-character to be deemed "model-able" by Fractal/Cliff, is again...puzzling to me?!? Solid-State does NOT automatically deem a bass-amp to be "FRFR" and/or void of desirable/unique (and thus "model-able") character?!? Jaco Pastorius (Weather Report, Joni Mitchell, and self-proclaimed "Best Bassist in the World!") and John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin) seemed to be pretty "connected" to their (Solid-State) Acoustic 360 Bass-Amps, and the last time I checked, those amps do NOT purvey "FRFR-like P.A.-System" bass-guitar tone?!?

The Axe's Amp Block is simply not designed to replicate an all solid-state amplifier.

I guess I'm just too dumb to understand why this statement HAS TO BE true? - LOL!

...Seriously though, is it true???

I'm sure you (Joe) know more about Fractal's "Amp-Block Alogorithms" than I. Admittedly, I know very little about the inner-workings of these algorithms (or the hardware's architecture for that matter.) However, unless I'm way oversimplifying things, (and that's possible) I figure that if an amp has an input-stage/preamp, a tone-stack, and an output-stage/power-amp, then it is probably capable of being thoroughly "analyzed/modeled." Perhaps I am wrong about this?

If on the other hand what you say about a mandatory pre-amp stage is true, (I.E: tube-pre which is NOT defeatable via programming - like your example: like a JC120 with a MINIMUM one pre-amp tube in the pre-stage) then perhaps you are correct in your assertion regarding solid-state amps NOT being able to be completely/accurately modeled. I would find such a limitation (especially moving forward into Axe-FX II's future) VERY hard to fathom? (I'd love it if Cliff himself chimed-in on this actually...?) Such a limitation (on being able to accurately model a solid-state amp) does NOT seem to fit the Fractal M.O, if you catch my drift!

And, have you even tried to get your tone without using the Amp Block at all yet?

You might not be giving this guy enough credit? He seems bright/intelligent enough to comprehend the "minimalistic/clean/D.I.-ish" approach. However, your assertion that ALL bass-tone need NOT go beyond your focused-template (albeit useful and perfect for most of the aforementioned Pop, Dance, and Jazz-Fusion styles) is a little incomplete/short-sighted at best, IMO...

I'm just trying to help point you in the right direction.

It might be a bit presumptious to assume that you know what anyone's "right-direction" actually is...and therein lies the big disconnect between the initial jimfist "bass wish-list" (conveyed simply via a reasonable alternative future firmware-option request) and your assertion that you understand his (and everyone else's) ultimate bass-tone-needs/wants?!?

Half-true - LOL! Yes, the "spanky-clean-sound" of going direct (with a little compression probably) was Nile Rodgers' recipe for dance/funk-guitar perfection on tracks like "Le Freak" by Chic! (...as well as by countless other guitarists/producers I'm sure!)

However, you're dismissing the powerful concept of RE-AMPING! (recording a guitar as an un-effected D.I.-line, so-as-to NOT have to commit the exact guitar-tone/effects-combination to a recording - until later/mixdown.) Oh well...

...but I'm sure that many of the clean amp sims' preamp sims (eg. Tube Preamp, JC-120, Bassman, USA Clean, etc.), especially since you have the option of changing the tone stack, would get you in the ballpark.

Why should ALL bassists-users settle for "the ballpark," when all they'd probably need (to be happy) is a bout 4 or 5 awesome bass-amp/cab models? That would still put the "guitar-amp-to-bass-amp-ratio" at about 10:1, wouldn't it? Jeesh...

BTW Joe, I saw in another/separate reply in this thread that you questioned why any bass-player would want to subject themselves to "the hassles and headaches of using a tube-amp?" Well, I'd venture that bassists who choose to use tube-designs (much like guitarists who choose to use tube-amps) recognize that lurking beneath the minor "hassles and the headaches" are the "hard-ons!" - LOL! Seriosuly though, whatever floats one's boat artistically/tonally and helps to get the musician closer to their "happy-place" (as a performing-musician either live or in-the-studio!) is a valid enough equipment-path to me!

Also Joe, I'd like to reiterate that EVERYTHING you said regarding getting great bass-tone (in the context of Dance, Pop, and Jazz-Fusion Music seemed very accurate and valid to me. I was merely pointing-out the folly in assuming those genre's to be the "end-all-be-all" tone for ALL bassists in ALL styles.

That's all!

Thanks for your insight.

~Bill~

No comment.
I see no reason to keep beating this dead horse.
I've already said what I wanted to say.
Good luck with your tone all you bass guys.

Back
Top Bottom