Idea: A randomization switch for component values based on tolerance differences

TenorKeith

Inspired
OK, this may be crazy, but I thought about how people always say that this amp model or that one isn't exactly the same as their own amp. So, knowing what we do about component tolerances being plus or minus 5, 10 or even 20%, I thought it would be cool to have an option to randomize all of those component values within those tolerance ranges. Just hit a switch and all those values change slightly and you get a whole new sounding JCM800 or Fender Bassman. I don't know, it was just a random thought, and I don't think anyone's ever done it. Thanks for indulging me!

That would be interesting from a design perspective (just to see how component tolerances and drift affect the sound of an amp), but I think it would drive me nuts in actual musical practice... I remember figuring out that the humidity of the air made my old amp speakers sound different back in the day, and I just resigned myself to the fact that my carefully put together tone wasn't going to be the same day to day, and it was a source of constant frustration.

I like the idea. Not sure it would ever be used to dial in a sound or to match an actual amp as that is a very roundabout way of approaching the problem but it would be a fun thing to play with just to hear the differences that occur.

Not all components stay within their specified tolerances over time so to take it a step further you could dial in an "age" which would serve to widen those initial tolerances.

Not sure it would ever be used to dial in a sound or to match an actual amp
Oh God no. But you might accidentally stumble upon something magical. Like that really old amp everyone loves but can't figure out why it's so good, hence your "age" idea.

That would likely be a huge undertaking.
There’s so many variables to tone.
examples…
Amp
Speakers & cabinet
Guitar
The player
Component tolerances
How it was recorded / mixed

All this matters… whether it’s slightly or a huge difference.

Where does FAS start?

The ‘tools’ are in the box. Experiment with them. Learn how to use them. Instant gradification is not the answer. ‘Noon dwellers’ seem to just want to plug in and the tone is immediately perfect… and if not, they might think ‘the amp is either broken, or not accurate’.
Wrong answer.
Did guitarists (before modeling) expect instant ‘holy grail’ tone in the past?
No… they experimented, and worked with what they had.

Plus, with everything mentioned… we have different tastes in what constitutes great tone.

So how would this work? Randomize component values every time you start your Axe FX? Sometimes your sound would be better, sometimes worse? Or would you need to press some randomizer button and it would keep those settings until you press the button again? 😅

I think the accuracy approach that the team has focused on is perfect. It need be no more complicated than that IMO.

I wouldn't want it to be random. But perhaps some sort of easy 'variation' knob that sweeps some of the essential components through a range of tolerances.

If this is implemented, they should give you the ability to input your own random seed for an amp, so that you can recall the “same” randomized amp if you like it

If this is implemented, they should give you the ability to input your own random seed for an amp, so that you can recall the “same” randomized amp if you like it
If this were implemented, it would be pretty useless if you didn't have an option to just save the current state...

What always strikes me as interesting is some players’ search for “authentic accuracy” in a digital modeler — as if you could grab a number of Tweed Deluxe amps, set them all side by side with the exact same settings, AND THEY’D ALL SOUND EXACTLY THE SAME TO BEGIN WITH. My experience is that analog amps, especially ones with glowing amber bottles inside them, NEVER sound “authentically accurate” — and all require finding their “sweet spot” settings to give you the tone you seek at any given moment. For that matter, just a truck trip inside an Anvil case can change the sound of one particular amp from gig to gig.

That said — I adore the sounds I can get out of my AFX3, and since I have absolutely no idea what the “real” amps would sound like “in the flesh” anyway I don’t concern myself with “authenticity”. Whatever algorithmic sounds Cliff is giving me (to start with) I’m happy to report that they don’t change — regardless of how much my rig case gets banged around.

The ole decades knob. The more you turn it, the more degraded the components become. Be careful though. If you go too far, you might have to recap your FAS Skull Crusher.

If this were implemented, it would be pretty useless if you didn't have an option to just save the current state...

Right, but imagine you found a random model you really like in preset A. If you don’t have a way to input a random seed and it was random each time you loaded the amp model, then you wouldn’t be able to get that same random model in preset B.

Back
Top Bottom