I took the Patch Challenge - Alice In Chain's Man In The Box

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
I took this challenge just using my own preset without tweaks.

Here's my take at it.

Recorded with my Melancon Custom Artist (WCR Goodwood Bridge Pickup) tuned down 1/2 step and my own Bogner preset (I didn't touch it from how I usually run it).

I did this as two takes, panned hard left and hard right. You can use your balance to hear one take or the other.

I'll be sharing this preset once the Axe-Exchange is up. I am using two of Clawfingers most excellent speaker IR's (though I need to find my 'cheat sheet' to remember which two they actually are).

Recorded Axe-FX analog outs to Lynx Audio L-22 A/D ins, no post whatsoever outside of UAD's Precision Limiter to get it up to level. Totally direct in.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yzmjyqzek3z

Scott Peterson said:
edgeofdarkness said:
doesnt remind me of AIC tone.

I am almost afraid to ask you what it does remind you of.... :lol:

It actually reminds me of the new heaven and hell album. (black sabbath)
the new song bible black
http://www.myspace.com/heavenandhellmusic

I am not sure what tony is using these days i think a laney ?
even listening now to the old heaven and hell song when they were called balck sabbath on the myspace page it sounds close to that as well, i think he was using marshalls back then...lol

edgeofdarkness said:
Scott Peterson said:
edgeofdarkness said:
doesnt remind me of AIC tone.

I am almost afraid to ask you what it does remind you of.... :lol:

It actually reminds me of the new heaven and hell album. (black sabbath)

http://www.myspace.com/heavenandhellmusic

Wow. I don't hear any similarities to the tone I did. :shock: Other than tuning a 1/2 step down... nothing at all.

It's all in the ear of the beholder, but whew... we hear different things. :D

Scott Peterson said:
Wow. I don't hear any similarities to the tone I did. :shock: Other than tuning a 1/2 step down... nothing at all.

my ears are a little fatigued right now.but i am using studio headphones..i still think it would do better black sabbath than AIC. :D
it doesnt sound like my uberschall at all, but mine has kt88's in it.

Sounds pretty good to me. I especially like the open power chords in the chorus....nice and thick.

edgeofdarkness said:
Scott Peterson said:

my ears are a little fatigued right now.but i am using studio headphones..i still think it would do better black sabbath than AIC. :D
it doesnt sound like my uberschall at all, but mine has kt88's in it.

Fair enough, I'm not really arguing with you really.

I've owned 3 Shiva's and a Ecstasy Classic. I used the Shiva as my main amp for 3 years straight. I've got a lot of older recordings of me on those amps and that's how I benchmark my Bogner tones.

I do agree with you that it sounds nothing like an Uberschall.

Bogner-Ecstasy-Classic-1.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Shiva-micd-up.jpg

edgeofdarkness said:
That XTC is sweet :cool: , I dont have my Ultra yet, is the Uberschall the only bogner the Axe FX sims ?

I had Bogner do my head with the classic wicker front, I never liked the Classic front (it's all black).

The Axe-FX has a Euro sim that is based on the Blue channel Ecstasy 101B and another separate sim of the Uberschall. I don't use the Uberschall and wasn't trying to get that tone.

Scott Peterson said:
[quote="Guitar-Tiz":3to8cob3]Not quite right, that's more of a Pearl Jam Evenflow-ish type tone.

IMHO.

It's a Bogner tone; PJ doesn't use Bogner's.

Just sayin'. :D[/quote:3to8cob3]

Whether it's a Bogner sim, or a Marshall sim doesn't matter to me at all, the fact of the matter is that I compared it to the AIC song in iTunes and the first thing that came to mind when your clip played was Evenflow, so I called it up in my iTunes, bingo perfect match.

I listened about 12 times before I posted the first time, so I not just stabbing in the dark here.

I don't know how you did it, but you got Evenflow down.

Guitar-Tiz said:
[quote="Scott Peterson":4iwyepw1][quote="Guitar-Tiz":4iwyepw1]Not quite right, that's more of a Pearl Jam Evenflow-ish type tone.

IMHO.

It's a Bogner tone; PJ doesn't use Bogner's.

Just sayin'. :D[/quote:4iwyepw1]

Whether it's a Bogner sim, or a Marshall sim doesn't matter to me at all, the fact of the matter is that I compared it to the AIC song in iTunes and the first thing that came to mind when your clip played was Evenflow, so I called it up in my iTunes, bingo perfect match.

I listened about 12 times before I posted the first time, so I not just stabbing in the dark here.

I don't know how you did it, but you got Evenflow down.[/quote:4iwyepw1]

We used to cover that song, I always liked a Marshall tone on it instead. :D

Sounds really nice! I haven't A/B'd it, but from memory it does have that AIC tone. Well done!

I just A/B'd it to the original track and it sounds so much fatter, thicker and meatier than the original... But I loved it! The original was a bit thin and lower in volume. Speaking as a kid of the 90's, my only quirk was that it wasn't played correctly... You did that hammer-on part on every measure, but it's only played on the 4th one... and the melody line needs more string "rape-age" :shock: ... the part that I really loved was the chorus part... that was freakin huge!!!!!!! It's got certain depth to it that I loved... Patch? Oh, and the "Would?" riff was spot on. :D

mortega76 said:
I just A/B'd it to the original track and it sounds so much fatter, thicker and meatier than the original... The original was a bit thin and lower in volume. But I loved it! Speaking as a kid of the 90's, my only quirk was that it wasn't played correctly... You did that hammer-on part on every measure, but it's only played on the 4th one... and the melody line needs more string "rape-age" :shock: ... the part that I really loved was the chorus part... that was freakin huge!!!!!!! It's got certain depth to it that I loved... Patch? Oh, and the "Would?" riff was spot on. :D

What's funny is that I just played it from memory and didn't listen to the original first. Oops. You are right, I played the little turnaround hammer on part every measure, which is wrong. Oh well.

I really was just trying my Bogner tone out and thought it'd be fun to hear it with the guitar down 1/2 step so I just tuned down and had at. I thought, "This sounds pretty juicy" so I popped it up online and shared it for fun. No harm, no foul.

I wasn't sure I played the melody line correctly from memory, but it's pretty close, though the phrasing is a bit off from the original track.

No biggie to me. Was just a fun exercise.

We used to cover "Would?" and "Man In The Box" back in the day, when they were current. They always went over well, "Would?" is a personal favorite.

Scott Peterson said:
mortega76 said:
I just A/B'd it to the original track and it sounds so much fatter, thicker and meatier than the original... The original was a bit thin and lower in volume. But I loved it! Speaking as a kid of the 90's, my only quirk was that it wasn't played correctly... You did that hammer-on part on every measure, but it's only played on the 4th one... and the melody line needs more string "rape-age" :shock: ... the part that I really loved was the chorus part... that was freakin huge!!!!!!! It's got certain depth to it that I loved... Patch? Oh, and the "Would?" riff was spot on. :D

What's funny is that I just played it from memory and didn't listen to the original first. Oops. You are right, I played the little turnaround hammer on part every measure, which is wrong. Oh well.

I really was just trying my Bogner tone out and thought it'd be fun to hear it with the guitar down 1/2 step so I just tuned down and had at.

I wasn't sure I played the melody line correctly from memory, but it's pretty close, though the phrasing is a bit off from the original track.

We used to cover "Would?" and "Man In The Box" back in the day, when they were current. They always went over well, "Would?" is a personal favorite.
Scott, I'm definitely not knocking you... I loved it!!! I'm just a picky SOB when it comes to covers... :D My drummer plays in another band that plays primarily covers and I'm always correcting him on his drum parts... I know it annoys the shit out of him sometimes but I can't help myself!

Patch? :D

mortega76 said:
Scott Peterson said:
mortega76 said:

I really was just trying my Bogner tone out and thought it'd be fun to hear it with the guitar down 1/2 step so I just tuned down and had at.

Scott, I'm definitely not knocking you... I loved it!!! I'm just a picky SOB when it comes to covers... :D My drummer plays in another band that plays primarily covers and I'm always correcting him on his drum parts... I know it annoys the shit out of him sometimes but I can't help myself!

Patch? :D

No offense taken, the way I look at it... you post a clip and you are setting yourself up for whatever comes at cha! ;)

I'll share the patch once the new Axe-Exchange is up (and I can find my cheat sheet to remember what Clawfinger IR's I use) and I'm back from vacation.

Back
Top Bottom