I think I'm finally "getting it"

jbis

Inspired
I've had the AxeFX now for about a year and a half and, although I'm extremely happy with it, I've never been able to get my sound 100%.This is nothing new as I've been battling for years with all kinds of amps and gear to get "that" sound. My last attempt at modeling was the Digitech 2120 some 10+ years ago. Not a bad unit even though the cab sims were flat out useless. I paired it with a Marshall 9200 running through a Rivera k412t. Again, not bad but not what I was looking for 100%. So I went back to tube amps... lots of them. Had decent some results but again, not exactly where I wanted to be... plus... lots of effects modules, pedals ,etc.

So enter the Axe FX and, like I said, still not where I want to be so I decided to try and rethink my approach. The stubborn bastard that I am would say "I'm going to use a JCM 800 or a SLO100 because I've used that amp and know it inside an out". Well... couldn't be more wrong! I decided to take the advice of some of the seasoned veterans around here and "use my ears, not my eyes". I had my girlfriend change amp models while I was playing until I heard something that nailed it and with a little tweaking here and there.... BOOM! that's what I've been looking for!!!! I'm now using models I never thought I would... same goes for cabs! I couldn't be happier... I feel like freakin' gorilla jumped of my back!

Moral of the story? If you're having issue getting your sound, change up your approach. It might just make a world of difference!

Thank you to the FAS team and this great community!

I love stories like this. Breaking out of your comfort zone is almost always a rewarding experience. Even if you don't like whatever new thing you're trying, you usually learn something if you're willing to pay attention.

So coming from a JCM 800 and SLO, which amps have you started to gravitate towards now?

That is the beauty of having tons of awesomely modeled amps: you dont have to be stuck on one or two. You can try all of them until you find one you like. Same goes with guitars too. We trust our eyes way more than out ears.

To be honest, I have found that my least favorite amps in the Axe are the ones I am most familiar with in the real world. I am getting sounds I like from amps I have never heard of, let alone have any real world experience with. That's the beauty of the Axe so don't stop looking for new approaches/amp/cab combos.

Just out of pure curiosity (and certainly against the whole thrust of the point being made!
laughing.gif
) what was the amp that grabbed you..?

Atomica High, Cali Leggy and Dirty Shirley were the ones that changed it all. I still use alot of the ones I had before, like the HBE, Buttery, and JCM 800 but feel like I open the flood gates and can dial them in better now.

I sincerely appreciate that there are so many parameters that one can modify using rational knowledge and principles of amp design in search of the "grail tone" unique to each guitarist. I definitely enjoy exploring the AXE this way. However, as much as I like this, "using your ears" is a great approach and for me often yields pleasantly unexpected results, especially with this recent firmware. I've found some surprising gems I wouldn't have considered. I love the Atomica High amp. And with the recent firmware upgrade, I am digging the Dirty Shirley amp a lot, one I never quite gelled with before. And the new Divided by 13 and Matchless DC30 amps are fantastic! We've got the best of both worlds with the AXE. Use what ever approach works for you. Or both. It's been said before on here, I'm certain. This is the best time ever to be a guitarist.

I took this suggestion from another member. If you have a midi controller with IA switches. You can add the looper at the beginning of your signal. Assign IA switches to the loopers play & record functions. Record a loop of a riff. Then just start auditioning and eq'ing amp blocks for days. Its been such a useful tip for me.

The stubborn bastard that I am would say "I'm going to use a JCM 800 or a SLO100 because I've used that amp and know it inside an out". Well... couldn't be more wrong! I decided to take the advice of some of the seasoned veterans around here and "use my ears, not my eyes". I had my girlfriend change amp models while I was playing until I heard something that nailed it and with a little tweaking here and there.... BOOM! that's what I've been looking for!!!! I'm now using models I never thought I would... same goes for cabs!

Atomica High, Cali Leggy and Dirty Shirley were the ones that changed it all. I still use alot of the ones I had before, like the HBE, Buttery, and JCM 800 but feel like I open the flood gates and can dial them in better now.

What I wonder, is if you had all of the amps listed above at your disposal back in the tube days, which would you have chosen? Would it have been the Atomica High, Cali Leggy, etc.? Perhaps you intuitively found ways to work with the JCM 800 and SLO100, and you were happy, but an Atomica High would have been a breakthrough amp for you.

Many of us didn't have the means to try a large number of amps before. The Axe-FX removes that barrier. I always coveted a Mesa Boogie combo, but with the Axe-FX I've fallen in love with the Marshall 50W and TripTik Modern.

Terry.

I actually was using 5150 back in the days of REAL AMPS, and when i purchased ULTRA, i just was amazed how it was all different than in real life. I'm not talking about the modeling, but the drive settings, amp settings and all, so i found out that FAS modern was the shit for me then and i didn't really use any other cab than Metal 4x12. But the fine shit is, when i just bought AXE II two weeks ago, i was amazed how i could feel satisfied with so many amps and cabs, there weren't really any "oh this i wont use ever" But the BEST part is, im in love with the 5150 models now again, and it feels the same like in the days of real amps. Fucking_love_it.

Your approach is great! Your girlfriend too! It's so nice from her that she didn't just say to your request "I can't, I'm sorry, I have a terrible headache" :)

Which cab did you use for the amp auditioning? Do you know or does anybody know, which cab would be the most neutral one to try all the amps with? I mean from the stock ones.

Not a too dissimilar experience here. The Axe Fx is at best humbling and and at worse can make you feel like a moron of Denis Rodman proportions.

I too followed the herd sonically. Spent weeks tweaking the FAS modern to get modern (dare i say it) Djent-ish tone but ended up getting REALLY annoyed because i just could not nail down what i wanted. I would sit there in front of the axe with a face that would put grumpy cat to shame.

A while later I was downloading every patch i could find just for the hell of it and i came across the Wes Hauch Diezel Herbert patch. A little tweaking later and BAM. It was the sound i always wanted but never knew it till i found it. I can only assume this is how Indy felt when he found the Ark of the Covenant.

Regardless this was a real nice reminder of why i ate ramen noodles and carrots for months till my poo resemble what a rabbits looked like to afford the Axe FX. To try new amp/effects/cabs/sounds and really find sounds that maybe do not match the one in your head but the one in your soul.

so... for short... what we are saying here is that... we must carve the tone of a SLO... using... say... the Matchless model!!! :hororr:
WATTA NIGHTMARE FOR CLIFF!!!! ahahahahahah :lol

For a guy like me who has never owned an amp worth mentioning, Fractal gave me the chance to try all these amps I was reading and hearing about. It was overwhelming at first with the plethora of options available to me and it took me a while before I got some decent tones out of it. Because I never had any real experience with decent amps (that hasn't changed btw lol) I had to use my ears and experiment a lot rather than follow "traditional" recipes. You can see it in my presets, they are pretty much all over the place as far as what I use in the chain and which parameters I touch goes.

Bottom line is, when you're searching for a certain kind of tone, don't think that using XYZ will get you probably there, even though it could possibly be the case. Start tweaking with a clear mind and please, use your ears! I know I'm stating the obvious but I see a lot of people using their heads and looking at parameters instead of doing the most simple thing, closing their eyes and listening to what's coming out of the speakers (this goes for recording/mixing/etc as well).

tl;dr - Forget what you might know about guitar tones. Use your ears!

Back
Top Bottom