I think I may not need my Axe Fx III +FC6 after all...

Sorry @Ugly Bunny I wasn't trying to bust your groove I just thought it was funny and it made me go a little crosseyed :p

More and more I'm starting to wonder if the FM3 would be right for me. I recently upgraded my AFII to an AFIII and most of my presets sit between 40-60% CPU usage. I wish there were some way to easily come up with how much CPU an AFIII would use on a FM3.

Yeah. An AXEIII, FM9, FM3 CPU usage coversion algorithm would be pretty cool.

1112211149a_HDR.jpg

I just don't understand this whole thread.... 🤪

Well please don't do that. ;) I wasn't trying to steal the 'forum police hat', just understand what you meant.
Haha I won't :)

Sorry @Ugly Bunny I wasn't trying to bust your groove I just thought it was funny and it made me go a little crosseyed :p

More and more I'm starting to wonder if the FM3 would be right for me. I recently upgraded my AFII to an AFIII and most of my presets sit between 40-60% CPU usage. I wish there were some way to easily come up with how much CPU an AFIII would use on a FM3.
It's all good. I ain't butt hurt :) You can usually just ask someone - post the preset and ask if it'll work with the FM3; hell, you could start a megathread by doing that, I bet. Lots of people are sitting at the same computers that they have their gear connected to and could quickly loadit up. But if you're sitting at 40-60%, I reckon most of those presets would fit. Of course, if you use the virtual capo in any of those, or multiple amps, then DSP won't be your only consideration.

I don't get the "heavy lifting" reason for not using an Axe live. I mean, what band doesn't keep a hand truck in the trailer, and/or have wheels on your rack?
Idk. I guess I can understand it for the bands that have pared everything down to small gear that fits in their cars, and only plays at places that have house sound, and/or hires a sound man. But every band I've been in had their own PA, so we had a trailer, and cabs that benefited from having a hand truck. So having a rack vs. a back pack was a non-issue.
Man, I wish. I miss being on the road with a trailer and hand truck and racks with wheels... These days, we all just bring stuff indivdually in our little cars and help each other load in and set up.

It is for me, too. Done more for me as far as portability, tone, and inspiration than anything else in the arsenal.

I do run a Digitech Whammy DT in front of it for pitch-shifting, and a Looper at the end. If I used all of that with
an FM9 my board would be the size of a Dorm Fridge. :)
that's the thing, though; with my Axe Fx III, I had all of that; I didn't need an outboard looper or pitch shifter. I had a pitch block and a looper in every preset and had DSP to spare and, all said and done, the only real estate it took up (besides the 4U rack back by the drummer) was the size of the FC6. it's mighty tempting to go back to that sometimes...

Honestly, I wouldn't say "lazy" even if it was meant in jest. :) Jeebus, you are lugging a
keyboard rig, a guitar rig, and a vocal rig, and for all we know you are hauling the PA
for the band, too.

I have done plenty of gigs to the point that "streamlining" setup and tear down, and
minimizing stage footprint, become priorities and not afterthoughts. When you have
to plow through 40 songs or so over 3 or 4 hours after setting up, and then looking
at tearing it all down afterwords, the word "lazy" doesn't seem to apply.
You ain't lying. My portion of the band's setup consists of one of the PA speakers, my monitor, my Kronos keyboard & stand, my mic stand, my FM3 & EV1, as well as a big box of cables. I always help with everything else once we're all there and unloaded, of course. But we're at the stage in being a band where we're still just bringing individual carloads of gear. We haven't breached the subject of a band trailer or whatever yet; none of us really have a vehicle that can tow a trailer lol. Plus, most of our gear is stage gear and wouldn't live in the trailer anyway. It's annoying, but hey, it's part of the life, right?

Yeah. An AXEIII, FM9, FM3 CPU usage coversion algorithm would be pretty cool.
There was a thread a while ago where someone posted exaclty how much DSP every block used, but I think it went outdated and no one made a new one. I like that this guy, Ben Adrian, makes the chart for the Helix gear and keeps it updated so you never have to wonder if your blocks will fit. Maybe we'll eventually get something like that. i feel like the FAS team could easily create a small calculator utility; or include a sort of "virtual unit" in FM3 Edit or Axe Edit III where you could see how much DSP the preset would use for the various units without actually having to have the units in front of you.

Especially when you have a full-time job, and a Friday evening gig. Pretty much kills your Saturday.
Ugh. yep. I've been at work since 0630 and have a gig tonight that I probably won't get home from until 0200; and I have a 17-hour road trip starting tomorrow lol!! Gonna make my girl drive first :)

I've had the FM9 invite in my inbox for a month now. I built a FM3/FC6, EV2, board a couple of years ago. I toggled (pun intended) back and forth between buying the FM9 or maybe building a flagship Axe III MkII unit for that time.

At then end of the day, I asked myself, what really will you get by buying one of the other units. I'm a weekend warrior and quite frankly, the tones I'm using just get better every time I sit down and work on a setlist and figure out what tones I'll need. No recording sessions or major arenas, just festivals, weddings, and bars. My pedalboard weighs a ton, but so does a twin reverb. I've been gigging Fractal stuff for about six years and have never looked back. The FM3 is more than I can handle or understand. My guess is that I don't tweak half of the controls of an amp or cab. Between the stock presets and Austin Buddy, I've got enough weapons for any gig.

That is just my situation. I try to learn from the masters every chance I get. Seldom to I hear one of them say you can't do this with the FM3. Till I start to hear more of that, I'm sticking with the FM3. MHO

The FM series are the ultimate in the great tone/small package concept. Frankly, it isn’t exactly heavy lifting to pop the two lids off my rack, plug in a power cord, footswitch, and guitar. I have an old Vafam patch bay on my rack which makes it a 60 second hookup. Still, it is harder than just plugging in a footswitch unit and a guitar, and it does take up marginally more space.

Taking your situation strictly on what you’re saying, I’d tell you to sell them both and get an FM9. It ticks every box you’re looking for, and requires none of the things that might affect your lazier sensibilities. 😊
The FM9 has really put a spanner in the works because I agree, it seems the most logical purchase at this point.
Then everyone reminds you what a great little unit the FM3 is, and then you go back to thinking.. should I get that instead, leave the FM9

It's too difficult to decide!

The FM9 has really put a spanner in the works because I agree, it seems the most logical purchase at this point.
Then everyone reminds you what a great little unit the FM3 is, and then you go back to thinking.. should I get that instead, leave the FM9

It's too difficult to decide!
You see the writing on the wall…

One. Of. Each.

😳

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom