I think I may not need my Axe Fx III +FC6 after all...

Ugly Bunny

Power User
A little background; I'm lazy.

I got the FM3 because I wanted an even smaller live rig. Playing guitar, keys, and singing, I liked that the FC6 fit between the legs of my keyboard stand with the damper pedal and a page turner pedal. But I eventually wanted to ditch the rack. I initially got the FM3 but sold it immediately since it wasn't as powerful as the Axe III and, at the time, I was using two or three "kitchen sink" presets. These days, I build more simple individual presets for particular songs when I need them, so the FM3 is perfect. I figured the FM3 deserved a second shot; then I could keep the Axe III + FC6 in my studio and gig/rehearse with the FM3.

As it turns out, given that most of the time when I'm playing guitar, it's for something band-related (and therefore using the FM3), I find I end up using my FM3 exclusively at home and for band stuff/gigs anyway... So my Axe III just collects dust. I think I hadn't considered how easy it would be to pop the pedal out of the duffle bag, plop it on my music stand, hook it up, and do what I needed to do, as opposed to the Axe III in its rack which requires significant surface area, having to remove the front and back covers of the rack (and find somewhere to put them), plug the rack's power conditioner in, then connect everything. It just became a PITA.

Essentially, the FM3 solves all my problems; musical, marital, weight, political, interpersonal... so much so that I'm legitimately thinking of selling off my Axe III and FC. The ONLY thing keeping me from doing so are the now-very-likely probability that the FM3 will NEVER get the Axe III's improved pitch block. I also like the idea of the FC6 allowing me so many buttons at once, which is nice for the looper, but even that; as I've gotten more into automating my set via MIDI, the 3 switches in the FM3 are plenty.

So I don't know. I guess I'll keep the III around for now (until we get word on the pitch block, at least).

Anyone else thought they'd keep both but ended up just keeping the FM3?

Last edited:
The FM series are the ultimate in the great tone/small package concept. Frankly, it isn’t exactly heavy lifting to pop the two lids off my rack, plug in a power cord, footswitch, and guitar. I have an old Vafam patch bay on my rack which makes it a 60 second hookup. Still, it is harder than just plugging in a footswitch unit and a guitar, and it does take up marginally more space.

Taking your situation strictly on what you’re saying, I’d tell you to sell them both and get an FM9. It ticks every box you’re looking for, and requires none of the things that might affect your lazier sensibilities. 😊

I get it. I think. :)

I have an FM9. Got on the waitlist. Name was called. Purchased. I. Don't. Use. It.

At all. :(

I like my FM3s. I have one on my board, and the other I move to my desk where it
fits perfectly.

I assumed prior to getting the FM9 it would tick ALL the boxes for me. I just prefer to
have 2 FM3s. They do everything I could ever want in a guitar rig: sound great, they are
the perfect form factor, and I have zero issues with the 3 footswitches.

I'm a happy camper with less. For me it really is more. :)

Taking your situation strictly on what you’re saying, I’d tell you to sell them both and get an FM9. It ticks every box you’re looking for, and requires none of the things that might affect your lazier sensibilities. 😊
here's the kicker, though; the FM3/FC6 fits EXACTLY perfectly between my keyboard's stand's legs. Anything bigger and I'd rearrange things and turn off to the side to change sounds while I'm playing/singing. Otherwise, the FM9 would be great. But it's just so big! I just literally toss my FM3 in a small duffle and I'm good to go. I feel I'd need a bigger, more substantial bag/case for the 9 lol.

I assumed prior to getting the FM9 it would tick ALL the boxes for me. I just prefer to
have 2 FM3s. They do everything I could ever want in a guitar rig: sound great, they are
the perfect form factor, and I have zero issues with the 3 footswitches.
Wow! I don't think I've heard of someone getting the FM9 and not using it lol!! But nah, I get you. The FM3 lacks DSP and the improved pitch block, but otherwise, to me, it's the best piece of music gear to come out in years. Combined with my Variax, it makes for one of the most versatile rigs a cover musician could possible hope to have.

Did you mean to say Axe III in places where you said FM3?
Nope; you read it right. I THOUGHT I'd use the Axe III at home and the FM3 at gigs/rehearsals, but I ended up just using the FM3 everywhere. Since a lot of the time I'm practicing at home, I'm editing presets for my band anyway, there's no reason to use the Axe III as a middle man. So it just sits unused.

When I made the decision to buy the Axe III Mk II, I was pretty sure it was way more than I'd need, and the FM3, with an FC6 added later if needed, would do all I wanted. But probably like others, I just said, what the heck. Just get the flagship, and you can grow into the features you don't use. Or not. ;)
I'd bet the FM3 would serve most Axe users quite well. I'd also bet that those who went with the III for similar reasons are very glad, especially since it gets FW updates first.

When I made the decision to buy the Axe III Mk II, I was pretty sure it was way more than I'd need, and the FM3, with an FC6 added later if needed, would do all I wanted. But probably like others, I just said, what the heck. Just get the flagship, and you can grow into the features you don't use. Or not. ;)
I'd bet the FM3 would serve most Axe users quite well. I'd also bet that those who went with the III for similar reasons are very glad, especially since it gets FW updates first.
Yeah, i do like that aspect of getting all the upgrades... Truth is, though, since the FM3 more or less has all of the features the flagship has and since, as I mentioned, I make more but simpler/smaller/less DSP-intensive presets these days, the form factor is the main consideration. The FC6 fit perfectly like the FM3, but with the FC6, I still have to lug around the rack and run the mic cable to the FC. This way, it's all there ready to go.

I don't know. I might get froggy and consider bringing out the big boy again ;)

This is some r/confidentlyincorrect material right here lol
haha so true; well, in my defense, it would have helped to point out the exact part which was confusing (which he later did :) ) - and also, with a sentence as dumb as it was, it could have been assumed to be a mistype and pointed out to be incorrect rather than posing it as a question about the entire post. In any case, you're right and I made the correction.

It's Friday. I figure we cut each other some majour slack. :)
I left Reddit for that exact reason lol! Of course, i'm a hypocrite and would be the first one to point out grammatical errors, inconsistent arguments, logical fallacies, or typos, so I deserved it :)

Frankly, it isn’t exactly heavy lifting to pop the two lids off my rack, plug in a power cord, footswitch, and guitar. I have an old Vafam patch bay on my rack which makes it a 60 second hookup. Still, it is harder than just plugging in a footswitch unit and a guitar, and it does take up marginally more space.
You know, I think if I had a custom patch bay made that brought all the Axe Fx III connections to the front (except for maybe the power), it would be a lot nicer. I just hate having to move everything and/or lean over the thing and look upside down or feel my way into plugging things in; I/O, MIDI, USB, footswitch - just annoying. but if all that were plain as day and easily accessible on a front-facing panel? That would be a dream. I'm just too lazy to have made such a patch bay yet.

Sorry @Ugly Bunny I wasn't trying to bust your groove I just thought it was funny and it made me go a little crosseyed :p

More and more I'm starting to wonder if the FM3 would be right for me. I recently upgraded my AFII to an AFIII and most of my presets sit between 40-60% CPU usage. I wish there were some way to easily come up with how much CPU an AFIII would use on a FM3.

Frankly, it isn’t exactly heavy lifting to pop the two lids off my rack, plug in a power cord, footswitch, and guitar.
I don't get the "heavy lifting" reason for not using an Axe live. I mean, what band doesn't keep a hand truck in the trailer, and/or have wheels on your rack?
Idk. I guess I can understand it for the bands that have pared everything down to small gear that fits in their cars, and only plays at places that have house sound, and/or hires a sound man. But every band I've been in had their own PA, so we had a trailer, and cabs that benefited from having a hand truck. So having a rack vs. a back pack was a non-issue.

The FM3 lacks DSP and the improved pitch block, but otherwise, to me, it's the best piece of music gear to come out in years.

It is for me, too. Done more for me as far as portability, tone, and inspiration than anything else in the arsenal.

I do run a Digitech Whammy DT in front of it for pitch-shifting, and a Looper at the end. If I used all of that with
an FM9 my board would be the size of a Dorm Fridge. :)

You know, I think if I had a custom patch bay made that brought all the Axe Fx III connections to the front (except for maybe the power), it would be a lot nicer. I just hate having to move everything and/or lean over the thing and look upside down or feel my way into plugging things in; I/O, MIDI, USB, footswitch - just annoying. but if all that were plain as day and easily accessible on a front-facing panel? That would be a dream. I'm just too lazy to have made such a patch bay yet.
Honestly, I wouldn't say "lazy" even if it was meant in jest. :) Jeebus, you are lugging a
keyboard rig, a guitar rig, and a vocal rig, and for all we know you are hauling the PA
for the band, too.

I have done plenty of gigs to the point that "streamlining" setup and tear down, and
minimizing stage footprint, become priorities and not afterthoughts. When you have
to plow through 40 songs or so over 3 or 4 hours after setting up, and then looking
at tearing it all down afterwords, the word "lazy" doesn't seem to apply.

Back
Top Bottom