I think I love my Fractal gear most...

iaresee

Administrator
...with slightly lower output pickups. My PRS 'bucker equipped guitars are great, but I really love the responsiveness I get from the same presets when I run my lower-output Tele with Filter'trons into the magic box these days. There's a little more glass/chime and range to the tone.

This has me contemplating the future of my guitar collection. I think I need a Suhr Classic, possibly in a HSS configuration, to really explore this theory further. Don't you?

...with slightly lower output pickups. My PRS 'bucker equipped guitars are great, but I really love the responsiveness I get from the same presets when I run my lower-output Tele with Filter'trons into the magic box these days. There's a little more glass/chime and range to the tone.

This has me contemplating the future of my guitar collection. I think I need a Suhr Classic, possibly in a HSS configuration, to really explore this theory further. Don't you?
Yes.

I've got the feeling my jp12 pickups are a handicap with the axefx, I'm glad I can split them!

If you don't get that blue one I might.......,.the guys at Maken Music are my buds and their store is in the hood where I grew up...they've already sold me a Guthrie Govan Rasmus superstrat and A ModernSatin.

I have a Suhr Classic (Sunburst) loaded with ML pickups and a roasted maple neck. One of my favorite ever guitars. I ordered it through Humbucker Music. I've had it for a while now. Definitely a guitar meant to be played and loved.

I have a Suhr Classic (Sunburst) loaded with ML pickups and a roasted maple neck. One of my favorite ever guitars. I ordered it through Humbucker Music. I've had it for a while now. Definitely a guitar meant to be played and loved.
What pickup config? SSS? HSS? What are ML pickups?

Yes tgp one with an SSV or thornbucker would kill. I have a Suhr clsssic HSS with SSV and 2 ML's. I also have a classic T Pro (and a few Tom Anderson's) and they all slay in my Ax

Yes tgp one with an SSV or thornbucker would kill. I have a Suhr clsssic HSS with SSV and 2 ML's. I also have a classic T Pro (and a few Tom Anderson's) and they all slay in my Ax
What's the Thornbucker like? I'm super keen on the gold finish but it's a good deal.

++ on the Luke III
I don't have the boost level dialed in yet. We get 20db's to play with. Maybe 10db would be ok to use in place of a clean boost in front of the Axe, YMMV.
I just stomp on scene 2 or 3 : )

I feel exactly the same way. I have been playing my PRSs for a while now, but I don't think I shall unlock the full potential of the black box, until I get a proper strat. So I have ordered a Rahbek Custom based on my favorite PRS neck and Tom Anderson electronics.

Good luck with your strat hunt. I am confident that you will need it to take your life to the next level.

Interesting... I'm quite the opposite. I use mainly High-output Double screw pickups and I think all my fractal gear sounds GREAT with them. I dig the compression, the smoothness and how they feel under my fingers. Big fan of the suhr DSH+ Pickups, and use those in my main gigging guitars. I have other guitars with regular "standard" pickup offerings.

I always feel I'm "fighting" the guitar, so anything that helps me in the playing department is always a help. I also do a lot of hybrid picking, and scale tapping (tapping the 3rd and/or 4th note on a string in a scale run with the picking hand a la Greg Howe) during lead passages so I find the higher-output helps keeps the notes even when using both hands on the fretboard.

I've never been a fan of high-output pickups, real amp or virtual. Neither was EVH. Part of the key to his tone is the relatively weak pickups he used. High output pickups don't have enough treble and sound too compressed.
Guthrie Govan disagrees :D

I like both high and lower input, it depends what you're doing.

As an experiment, I tried my Tele sounds [mostly Fender amp models] with a Jem last evening and they definitely sound much better with the Tele , but I prefer the Jems into the Legato or Euro Red/blue models.

Yes, RoshRoslin, I too 'fight' on my Jems, but in a good way! I have gauge 9's on them, but I found that I can't stand the 'low' action and have the strings set higher to get rid of any buzz. Harder to play but a much clearer, stronger tone when playing more slowly.

Back
Top Bottom