I swear I'm gonna effing flip out!

timbo

Tried to update my MFC101 today from version 1.02 to 1.04 and I keep getting an error 6 after it gets to about 10%!! Is my EPROM fried????. Hell this thing is 2 months old and I've got a huge gig next Saturday. Ive tried redownloading version 1.04 from the site to rule out an error. Anyone have version 1.02 I can try?

Any ideas? Im using Midi Ox with buffers set to spec. Had NO problem updating my Axe Fx II to version 2.0.

HELP please!

Ok Cliff....mods.....there needs to be a sticky or a warning about upgrading the MFC101 firmware. This ain't my first trip around the block as I've updated my prior Ultra and my new AxeFx II without issue many times over the years. Sorry for the earlier pissy attitude but things happening before a gig....well you know quite frankly majorly suck. Anyway, there are gonna be people out there just like me that pulled their hair out trying to update MFC101 firmware using Windows 7 64 bit. Yeah, I run a 64 bit DAW. Well I got news for ya, if your using Windows 64 bit you gonna have multiple errors on you MFC101 such as 6, 14 and 17. Your upload will never get past 10 or 12% without running into these errors. Well, thank God I'm a 20 year mechanic and problem solver. And oh yeah, having Windows 32 bit on my other partition is what did the trick. Most likely MidiOx is not setup to run on Windows 64 bit, or any other librarian I tried for that matter. The minute I switched over to my Windows 7 32 bit partition, installed MidiOx and began the firmware upload it worked perfectly.

Again....FYI!!!!

I'm running win7 x64 and have successfully updated the fw on my mfc. It showed an error at the end of the process but the flash was fine. This was using Axe edit.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Ok Cliff....mods.....there needs to be a sticky or a warning about upgrading the MFC101 firmware. This ain't my first trip around the block as I've updated my prior Ultra and my new AxeFx II without issue many times over the years. Sorry for the earlier pissy attitude but things happening before a gig....well you know quite frankly majorly suck. Anyway, there are gonna be people out there just like me that pulled their hair out trying to update MFC101 firmware using Windows 7 64 bit. Yeah, I run a 64 bit DAW. Well I got news for ya, if your using Windows 64 bit you gonna have multiple errors on you MFC101 such as 6, 14 and 17. Your upload will never get past 10 or 12% without running into these errors. Well, thank God I'm a 20 year mechanic and problem solver. And oh yeah, having Windows 32 bit on my other partition is what did the trick. Most likely MidiOx is not setup to run on Windows 64 bit, or any other librarian I tried for that matter. The minute I switched over to my Windows 7 32 bit partition, installed MidiOx and began the firmware upload it worked perfectly.

Again....FYI!!!!

Incorrrect! I run Win 7 64 bit with Sonar X1 64 bit DAW and have updated my MFC for over a year using MidiOx with both my Ultra and II setup. The few times I have had any hiccups was user error on my part. You said you have updated your Ultra and II fine over the years no? You weren't using your Win & 64 bit system then? Did you recently upgrade to 64 bit? What is different between your successful earlier attempts and this failure? Did you try the C6 midi filer sOc9 suggested and get the same errors?

Ok Cliff....mods.....there needs to be a sticky or a warning about upgrading the MFC101 firmware.

Again....FYI!!!!

Sorry you had a problem but please don't assume its universal. Despite my less than wonderful feelings about Windows, my Win7 64 box hasn't failed me yet. Its a finicky way to do updates, yes sir it is, I had to ratchet the speed down for the MFC, but after that I was fine.

Well what I can tell you guys is this. When I had my Ultra using MidiOx on Windows Vista or XP 32 bit I had no problems updating. When updating my new AxeFx II I did use my Windows 64 bit DAW and Axe Edit via USB from the computer to the AxeFx for uploading its firmware and had no problem. However, with over two dozen attempts using MidiOx and Windows 7 64 bit I got nothing but Error 6, 14, and 17 trying to upload the firmware to the MFC101. And yes I also tried the C6 midi filer program as well under Windows 64 bit and all the MFC101 would do was get stuck at 0% complete. With MidiOx each time I began the upload sometimes it would go directly into an error or I might get lucky and it upload up to 10 or 12 % before it just stopped and listed an error. All the buffer settings recommended here were set in MidiOx. So after at least two dozen attempts using Windows 7 64 bit with nothing but failure, I installed MidiOx on my Windows 7 32 bit partition and the firmware loaded flawlessly the first time. I don't get it. But I know I'm not going to be the only person that might run into this problem. Someone will and at least they have the option of trying what I did to solve the issue. I'm surprised I didn't "brick" my unit after all the failed attempts. Now at least I can relax knowing I've got working equipment for my gig this Saturday.

I appreciate everyone chiming in with suggestions. Thank you.

Glad you sorted it Tim. For the record I had no problem updating my MFC from Win7 x64, it worked on the first try.

I don't think it's OS related either. My last go around with updating the MFC took 20-30 tries under Win XP 32-bit before it finally completed. Midi-OX, Bourne, whatever.

Kept tweaking the buffer sizes and timeouts as it got more % before failure, until is was getting 95-98% before the error (D'OH!!!). At least I had my Axe to keep me busy (and happy) while going through the ordeal.

Bottom line: I'm really glad the MFC is updated as often as my AFX II! Updates to that have been flawless.

TT

Well unless it is something just unbelievably groundbreaking, my MFC can forget an update any time soon.

Dealt with the same prob as Tim today (updating the MFC from 1.02 to 1.04)...Win7 64bit, midiOX, no matter how i set it up i was getting the error 6 randomly (sometimes at 95%, at 75% etc etc)...after half an hour of struggling i tried to run MidiOX in Windows XP (Service Pack 3) compatibility mode (right click the MidiOX icon, Compatibility Tab, tick "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)"). It worked!!!

I had updated my MFC twice before using MidiOx and WinXP SP3 32bits with no probs at all so i thought i give this a try and it actually worked!

Don't know if it makes sense or not, but it worked anyway...

Last edited:
Sorry you had a problem but please don't assume its universal. Despite my less than wonderful feelings about Windows, my Win7 64 box hasn't failed me yet. Its a finicky way to do updates, yes sir it is, I had to ratchet the speed down for the MFC, but after that I was fine.

It may not be universal but A LOT of people have trouble updating their firmware. I was unsuccessul last night with a Mac Book Pro and the 2x2 MIDI Sport using Snoize. Error 14 or Error 6 over and over. At varying points. I dropped the speed and the delay time to a crawl and it still didn't work. I suppose I'll try it on a PC with MIDI-OX tonight.

Fractal really should build their own app for this - it is an easy app to write. I wrote one for specifically for the Roland VG-8 years ago because people were having all sorts of trouble like this upgrading their firmware to the EX version. If you own both sides of the problem you can also greatly improve the likelihood of success - even some sort of simple ACK/NAK protocol between sysex packets to decide whether to proceed or retransmit would probably help considerably given the sheer number of random points the firmware download fails at.

Strangely, I found that *decreasing* the delay from 150ms to 80ms solved the problem! I have Windows 7 64-bit and connected to the MFC-101 original through a MIDI port out of a Lexicon Omega.

Back
Top Bottom