I/O capabilities of Axe-FX II?

elbiciclista

I would appreciate some help on understanding what I can connect to Axe-FX II. It would be used with Pro Tools 9.

The Eleven Box is designed to be a complete I/O box for Pro Tools.
So, you can:
- Connect monitors, guitar, mic, and MIDI keyboard.
- Record the 11B guitar output into a Pro Tools track while simultaneously listening the the stereo mix on the monitors.
- Record miked vocals into a Pro Tools track while simultaneously listening to the stereo mix on headphones.
- Record MIDI data into a MIDI track in Pro Tools while simultaneously listening to the stereo mix on the monitors.

I am trying to determine if I can do all these things with Axe-FX II.

On page 34 of the Axe-FX II Owners Manual it shows the monitors and computer connected to Axe-FX II and says you can
“route stereo audio from the computer through the Axe-Fx II, simultaneously using all the regular processing capabilities for your guitar so that you can play along with tracks.”
So, it appears it can handle the stereo mix going to the monitors while recording a guitar track in Pro Tools.

How about recording mic or MIDI input to Pro Tools while listening to the mix?
I see it has MIDI In/Out connections, so I assume I could connect a MIDI keyboard and record into a MIDI track.
However, I don't see a mic input.

Any help would be much appreciated!
I just want to be sure I don't need to buy another I/O box.

However, I don't see a mic input.

Any help would be much appreciated!
I just want to be sure I don't need to buy another I/O box.

of course there's no mic input. mic preamps often cost as much as a decent condenser mic (sometimes more). The Axe is about quality and not about quantity - personally I am disgusted by the 'one piece of gear does it all' approach, since it's pure marketing, nothing else.

I do use the Axe for mic signals, but after a decent preamp.

I don't have one yet, but reading the manual, I think you're correct. It'll do all stuff you want except for the mic pre. You'd have to have a mic pre hooked up to one of the inputs in the back to record vocals through it. All the other things it'll do.

Does anybody know if we can route the LOOP to the USB?
Meaning can I put computer effects in the LOOP by simply hooking up 1 USB cable?

:?:

Sean,
Are we reading the manual correctly that the unit will permit the following?
(1) Guitar recording into a Pro Tools audio track, or
(2) MIDI keyboard input to a MIDI track in Pro Tools, or
(3) Miked vocal recording (mic -> separate preamp -> Line level Input) into a Pro Tools audio track
while simultaneously sending the stereo mix from Pro Tools to monitors w/o noticeable latency (Pro Tools would be operating in low latency mode).

Sean,
Are we reading the manual correctly that the unit will permit the following?
(1) Guitar recording into a Pro Tools audio track, or
(2) MIDI keyboard input to a MIDI track in Pro Tools, or
(3) Miked vocal recording (mic -> separate preamp -> Line level Input) into a Pro Tools audio track
while simultaneously sending the stereo mix from Pro Tools to monitors w/o noticeable latency (Pro Tools would be operating in low latency mode).

Yes that seems correct.

Back
Top Bottom