i need the sitar IR badly...

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic
heya all. i posted this a while ago. i am desperately seeking the SITAR IR. i use a digitech pedal that has a reasonable stiar simulator but i'd much rather do without it and do it on the axe with an IR that i've seen ppl talking about.

i've been told to do a search for it and believe me i've been searching for ages and i can't find the bloody thing!

i have yek's patches and i was told that it would contain the sitar patch. it had a sitar patch but this was not the IR that i've been requesting. it was not comparable with my existing sitar sound. i need the IR. i just need the IR. can someone please share it with me if you have it?

i was told that it came in a pack with IRs from an acoustic guitar and also a violin IR if that helps anyone at all.

i need to know weather i can get this or not asap because i'm in theprocess of constructing my new pedal board and i need to know if i'm going to have to continue using the digitech pedal to get sitar like sounds. thankyou for any help.

geamala said:
if someone doesn't help me i'm gonna throw my axe fx and myself of the nearest bridge!!!

Just to be clear, you'll need both the patch and the IR (you probably knew that).

Here is the IR I believe they are talking about:

Attachments

• acousticsim1.syx
    2 KB · Views: 147
Do you need it for live or studio use? :ugeek: Did you know with a little experimentation with bent cardboard under your guitars bridge, you can closely simulate the sitar buzz :eek: :idea: :arrow: : it's true just make sure that the strings are in contact for about an inch or so. I own the Jerry Jones electric sitar and you can get really close to that 60's psychedelic sound this way. Drone strings are another matter and sitars are usually always accompanied by another drone instrument called a tambura. One can simulate this with a ambient highly effected loop and than solo over it with the buzzing voice. It would probably be more convincing that an electric guitar through a sitar IR alone. Of course the Jerry Jones sitar through the Ultra, boy howdy, nice. :D :geek:

Shreddy Better said:
Do you need it for live or studio use? :ugeek: Did you know with a little experimentation with bent cardboard under your guitars bridge, you can closely simulate the sitar buzz :eek: :idea: :arrow: : it's true just make sure that the strings are in contact for about an inch or so. I own the Jerry Jones electric sitar and you can get really close to that 60's psychedelic sound this way. Drone strings are another matter and sitars are usually always accompanied by another drone instrument called a tambura. One can simulate this with a ambient highly effected loop and than solo over it with the buzzing voice. It would probably be more convincing that an electric guitar through a sitar IR alone. Of course the Jerry Jones sitar through the Ultra, boy howdy, nice. :D :geek:

clearly you are not helping.... maybe i will throw your axe fx off the bridge too...

thankyou java junkie. the link you've given me is called "acoustic sim" is this for the sitar IR or is it for the acoustic guitar IR? again, your help is appreciated. thanks.

geamala said:
Shreddy Better said:

clearly you are not helping.... maybe i will throw your axe fx off the bridge too...

thankyou java junkie. the link you've given me is called "acoustic sim" is this for the sitar IR or is it for the acoustic guitar IR? again, your help is appreciated. thanks.

I just read back. I misunderstood. Yek never said there was an IR for his sitar patch. An IR alone will not get you a sitar sound. You need to have some sort of resonant feedback. Where did you see there was a sitar IR?

The IR I provided is the one used with a great number of acoustic and violin patches that you seemed to be referring to in your first post.

Ya seem bent on throwing your axe fx off a bridge, but the secret to the sitar sound is the bridge, the guitar bridge that is. Ya won't produce a convincing sound with just a patch and an IR, the string has to buzz against a special bridge (or simple mod). With resonance control ya might get the drone string effect but the played melody strings need that characteristic whirring sound. :(

geamala said:
Shreddy Better said:

Actually Shreddy is right. It's an old trick to simulate a sitar.

pffff!! i am not putting cardboard on my bridge! no offense but get real!

i have a digitech "The Weapon" pedal that has a sitar sim in it. it does a pretty good sim (no cardboard required) but of course doesn't sound exactly like a sitar. i'd rather get rid of the pedal and get as close to the same sound as i can get in the axe itself.

i'm already using an acoustic guitar, my 12 string.

thanks yek and java for your help i'll try to combine the patch with the acoustic IR and see how it goes.

special thanks to java for giving me the IR. you are a legend.

as for where have i seen talk of a sitar IR. i'll have to get back to you on that i've looked in so many places it's not funny. but there was definitely more than a few mentions of it. one guy that i emailed told me that he got it in a pack with a bunch of IRs including a violin and an acoustic guitar IR as well as others.

personally i'm surprised that the axe fx doesn't offer something of this nature as a factory preset. the boss GT8 has a pretty good sitar sim and some of the digitech units do too. weird.. ohwell. here goes....

speaking of getting ''real''. methinks the bridge trick would be alot better than the guy from disturbed's sig pedal :lol:

To simulate a sitar, the tuning can be helpful too. I tune mine to DGDGGD, and sometimes GACGCC as the unison tuning a 2 or more strings helps simulate the drones of the real thing. I recall the variax guitar had a useful simulation, especially when I retuned it. The Boss GT10's sitar function is less-so. If one can get there hands on the response of the variax sitar one might be able to get some sort of IR and put it first in the Fractals chain. The axe fx is an amp simulator not a guitar simulator though, not sure if the variax technology is compatible.

here is a segment of the email i got from someone i found on a seymore duncan forum talking about a sitar IR that he had. i still don't know why he hasn't shared it with me. weird and frustrating this sitar business.

"Hey man,

I got it and a bunch of other similar impulses (like an acoustic guitar body, violin body, etc) from the Axe FX forum. I think if you google that forum and then do a search for "sitar" or "violin" or similar (or even just start a thread asking for them), you shouldn't have much trouble finding them." - fikealox@hotmail.com

so as you can see i wasn't making this up. it seems that somewhere along the line there has been an actual SITAR IR that the kepers of are not sharing. if only it was as simple to find as he is suggesting.

Cover'd said:
geamala said:
but of course doesn't sound exactly like a sitar
Ahh, in that case you'll be needing a genuine sitar ;)

no i don't require an actual sitar. the pedal i am using doesn't sound exactly like a sitar but it is sufficient. even if i could get a sitar IR i don't expect to sound exactly like a sitar but if i can even get close to the sound of that pedal then i'll be happy with that. and a bridge mod is out of the question. i'm using my 12 string yamaha acoustic. i would have to use that guitar only for sitar sounds if i modded it. much easier to do it with effects. that way i can play my normal tone and then switch to sitar for a section and then back to my normal tone.

it simply should not be too much to expect to be able to replicate this effect on the axe considering a cheap digitech stomp can do it without the use of cardboard or bridge mods.

i think that makes sense....

If it matters to anyone, I actually own a sitar, but I would prefer to play the stuff on guitar, so I am joining this search, including the IR unless if someone can tell me how to make an IR :?:

Also, just an additional tidbit of info, around 14 years or so ago, there was an article in a guitar mag, that showed me how to make my own sitar sound out of my guitar and it included a drop duning that I dont remember - but really low sounding (Lot's of B's??) and a Paper clip. You get a large paperclip and make a loop at one ind and put it around your low e sring and "weave it over the b and under the high e string.

I suggest doing this to a cheap guitar, like I did it on an old song of mine: http://virgilguitar.com/earl89223/001SonOfADream.mp3 You can hear it best at around 40 seconds into the song.

I will let you know if I find THEE IR for this!

Thanks for this post - it got me digging deeper into the world of IR's - there seems to be room IR's more than anything else out there - instrument IR's are not quite as common. I actually DID find a SITAR IR on my search, but it was part of a package of other instruments and costs $50 - if I ever figure out how to make my own IR's, I would be more than happy to experiment with making one with my sitar. I actually own an Oud too, just in case if you were wondering.

Here is the info:

Alexandre Borcic's Deep Spaces Impulse Response Library $50
http://www.dangerousbear.com/dbsig.html

Stringtheorist said:
http://www.eyb-guitars.de/Eyb-English/Sitarbridge.html

I just ordered one of the Eyb bridges two days ago. Bridge was $160 and shipping was $12.

I'll be installing the bridge onto a guitar which has a just intonated fretboard. Looking forward to it!

edit: adding thumbnails to the raga guitar

Back
Top Bottom