I need more volume

phil36uk

Inspired
On stage I use a marshall 2x12 with 8080 poweramp. I never had any problem with volume when using a boss gtpro but after doing the patches on the axe fx so they are not clipping I just don't have enough volume to hear myself onstage.

Any tips for increasing the volume without clipping or is the answer to buy a new poweramp?

Also, what is the impedance of you guitar cab? 4 ohms should technically be the loudest out of any amp speaker output.

How high is the output 1 knob turned up

Hi, output 1 is going straight to the PA and no problem with level, output 2 is going to my poweramp. that is turned up full and so is output 2 and there just seems to be not enough volume. I tried turning the amp block up a touch but it is just clipping on the solo patches so I've knocked the colume down on them so the loudest I play there is no clipping but in turn once the other patches are adjusted accordingly it's just too quiet. The poweramp has always served me well volume wise with previous gear I've uses ie. Boss GTPRO and JMP-1 etc. Just seems the axe fx2 is clipping early at low volume.

It's the marshall 8080 poweramp.

So it's the big tube amp? I made a couple of Hum buster cables and they work great with my Mesa 2 90 and now my new Matrix GT1000fx
But there are many ways to boost your output.
You should check your connections.

So it's the big tube amp? I made a couple of Hum buster cables and they work great with my Mesa 2 90 and now my new Matrix GT1000fx
But there are many ways to boost your output.
You should check your connections.

It is the 1u solid state amp.

I take a guess but since it is solid state I say you would need something like 400-500 watts per channel to start with, not 80.
This is a guess but it could be that your former modeller did not have the same dynamic range as the axe II is capable of and since your patches with your former modeller were then much more compressed, you could get away with less headroom in your physical power amp(8080).
Many of the clean amps in the axe are very dynamic which means that you would need to lower the level in the amp block to prevent output clipping in the axe. To compensate for this you would need more headroom in your physical power amp and if it is that your 8080 only has 80 watts per channel then that is not enough.
A guess!

I tried to alter the volume in the fx block but it made no difference. I have noticed that output 1 is clipping before output 2 on my patches though.

What parameter(s) were you adjusting in the fx loop block? You should be able to increase the output by 20db.

Rather than turning the level up in the fx loop block, use the output 2 Global EQ gain. That will up the level for all patches that use the fx loop block.

that also works :)

i thought that was already suggested but it was another thread. they are all starting to become one :)

Back
Top Bottom