I may have a defective unit, I need to try something to check if this is true.

My recording of HBE preset using a Gibson DC Pro with BB Pro pickups

I think yours sounds more open. What do you think?

It sounds out-of-phase, ie either the left or right channel is reversed. If you are recording through USB then that is just weird. Can you record analogue?

Check your cab block 'cabinet size' parameter. I made a preset and tried to setup an X-Y on the cab block. X sounded fine, but Y sounded like 'wet cat turds' (i.e. very similar to what you described in your OP). It took me a while to find out what was different. It ended up being the 'cabinet size' knob in the cab block that was turned full counter clock wise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, I do not have a soundcard.
I am officialy scared now as it is recorded USB so the cables are out of equation.

I took the preset from this post:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/40059-cameron-can-van-halen-ish.html
If you're there, listen to the audio, it sounds killer.
I loaded into the axe and recorded the sound using my strat (passive pickups)

Do not smash your screen, it's my file, it's not a virus!

Please try and record this, I need to see how it sounds please.

That Javi preset is several major fw versions old.
If I load it, it sounds crap too.

Here's the recording of the HBE preset using a PRS Custom 24 with HFS Treble pickup:

I increased the amp gain in Global because I felt your recordings are much hotter. I haven't touched anything else (cab size, etc),
because I think we should all use the same preset.

To me, it still sounds like it is out of phase somehow.

adrianni, just for laughs, what does all of this sound like when you plug out of the AFX via XLR outs analog directly into the Adams monitors - no usb or DAW involved? If the sound going analog direct to the Adams pair is good to go, then there is something funky going on in the DAW - obviously. Then it should be a matter of making sure that you've got your monitoring through DAW settings assigned properly as this can certainly foul things up.

The Axe balanced XLR output goes directly to the Adams. The sound you hear in my recordings is the exact sound I hear when I play.
My laptop is connected via USB to the Axe. When I play the recorded file from Adobe Audition, I hear the sound through the Adams.

Again, all being set, when I play the guitar, I hear the sound through the Adams but I can see the meters in Adobe Audition moving (no sound through the laptop speakers and the monitoring button is not pressed). I record the sound and then I press play. The sound plays through Adams and it is the exact sound I heard during the recording. Can't get simpler than that.

Furthermore, even if I am not USB connected, it is the same sound, no difference at all.
I changed 6 or 7 guitar cables, I even used one that was used on the stage by a famous guitar player here in Romania. What else can be done?

The Axe balanced XLR output goes directly to the Adams. The sound you hear in my recordings is the exact sound I hear when I play.
My laptop is connected via USB to the Axe. When I play the recorded file from Adobe Audition, I hear the sound through the Adams.

Sorry...somehow I didn't connect those dots from reading the previous posts. As you were...

Just listen to these sounds. I tried my best, my patches don't come close to the airness and openess and sweetness these sounds have.
I know the tone is in the hands but at least some notes should sound the same.

I ordered myself a Suhr Classic. I expect the guitar to be delivered this week. I swear I'll keep this topic alive until I record the song again using the new guitar. By the way, any of you guys can contact Pete Thorn and ask for the original presets that he used? I myself have not received any reply from him.

Cheers, Adrian

Just listen to these sounds. I tried my best, my patches don't come close to the airness and openess and sweetness these sounds have.
I know the tone is in the hands but at least some notes should sound the same.

I ordered myself a Suhr Classic. I expect the guitar to be delivered this week. I swear I'll keep this topic alive until I record the song again using the new guitar. By the way, any of you guys can contact Pete Thorn and ask for the original presets that he used? I myself have not received any reply from him.

Cheers, Adrian

Did you search the site? I could have sworn he posted the patches when he put that video up and announced it on this forum.

AFAIK he didn't post them.

That last recording with the PRS actually, that's actually a pretty cool tone! :)
But I agree it sounds filtered or something. So if you're sure the guitars are alright... Hmm... you're sure that the Phase settings in I/O are set right? Did you try other cables between Axe and monitors?

AFAIK he didn't post them.

That last recording with the PRS actually, that's actually a pretty cool tone! :)
But I agree it sounds filtered or something. So if you're sure the guitars are alright... Hmm... you're sure that the Phase settings in I/O are set right? Did you try other cables between Axe and monitors?

I agree, the last recording shows a usable tone but the sound is indeed distressed in some way.
I think the guitars are ok, I am able to get good tones using real amps or preamps...
What do you mean by Phase settings are set right? As far as I know, in the I/O one can only use normal or inverted phase. I tried both, absolutely no difference in sound.
Got me thinking though, shouldn't there be a difference when changing the parameter from normal to inverted?

About the cables. Sure I can use other cables but how would the cables affect the USB recording?

Back
Top Bottom