• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

I know ... I know.... An other Headphone Question ...

Is there somewhere you can audition the Shures, the Beyers, the Sennheisers where you're located? We all obviously have preferences, and one person's sense of neutrality seems to be different than others...

I have a pair of the 600’s ..which are very close in characteristic to the Shure 1840s. The 1840s do offer better definition by my ears, but the Senns are more pleasant for general listening. Not tried the 650s, but if they are a step-up in any-way from the 600s? ..for the cash, I doubt a person could do much better bang-for-the-buck wise.
This review seems to do a good job comparing them:

https://www.headphones.com/communit...0-vs-hd600-review-revisiting-classics-in-2020

Here is a comparison:
https://www.headphonesty.com/2018/06/review-audeze-lcd-2-classic-fazor/

It seems like they do not have exactly the same acoustic properties, but it is not easy to understand how they differ by reading a review.

I laugh when they say at these reviews "I would like a bit more bass impact". These headphones are not for bass-heads! they are for appreciating the original tone as it was mixed down at the studio, without extra additions. If you are mixing down, mastering, or tweaking the Axe-FX, you don't want your headphones to add extra bass.
My understanding from what I read is the fazor has more balanced highs, whereas the classic is warmer with less highs. I went from Senn HD580s to the LCD-2 fazor and it's quite the difference. Senns had a warm, punchy, emphasized midrange with mellow highs. The LCD-2 is much more accurate, clear, and balanced. For the first time, I don't feel like I have to compensate for the headphone when dialing in a tone to use live.

My understanding from what I read is the fazor has more balanced highs, whereas the classic is warmer with less highs. I went from Senn HD580s to the LCD-2 fazor and it's quite the difference. Senns had a warm, punchy, emphasized midrange with mellow highs. The LCD-2 is much more accurate, clear, and balanced. For the first time, I don't feel like I have to compensate for the headphone when dialing in a tone to use live.
Think I will go for the fazor LCD 2 if I can afford it …

Think I will go for the fazor LCD 2 if I can afford it …
Before you go dropping that kind of money I would go and listen to them. As I've said, I like the neutrality of the 1840s, but I would give a hard listen to the 1990 Pros, with the "analytical" pads on, and probably the filter switched in. I'm piping up again as you mentioned neutrality was an important factor for you. I'm assuming you want your headphone response to mirror your monitors. I'm also assuming you have neutral monitors...

Before you go dropping that kind of money I would go and listen to them. As I've said, I like the neutrality of the 1840s, but I would give a hard listen to the 1990 Pros, with the "analytical" pads on, and probably the filter switched in. I'm piping up again as you mentioned neutrality was an important factor for you. I'm assuming you want your headphone response to mirror your monitors. I'm also assuming you have neutral monitors...
Yes I have XiTone cabs …. That sound awsome

I'm assuming you want your headphone response to mirror your monitors. I'm also assuming you have neutral monitors...
Good point. Reference monitors in an acoustically treated room are crucial.

These Xitones cabs may sound awesome, but are not studio reference monitors. The experience with headphones will be different than what is heard at the Xitones. However, neutral headphones will probably be more trustful to tweak presets than the Xitones.

Last edited:
Reference monitors in an acoustically treated room are crucial. These Xitones cabs may sound awesome, but are not studio reference monitors. The experience with headphones will be different than what is heard at the Xitones. However, neutral headphones will be more trustful to tweak presets than the Xitones.
And for you the Audeze LCD -2 …. Is neutral ?
I had Hs 8 before the Xitones … it s a world difference with the Hs 8 , they are references with the CLR but have the reputation to be more amp in the room ….

Back
Top Bottom