I have to make a decision but I need some answers! :)

Aappleyard

Hi there good people!

I am new to playing the guitar but I am progressing quickly. I am infact a Drummer and I am getting set up in Band Recording and have some gear.

Presonus 16.4.2 Audio Interface
Good PC
Some Nice PA / Monitors for well... Monitors.. They have a wide frequence responce so they give clear un colored sound.
Several SM57's, Some other Mics too,

Thats my current setup.

I also have a Pod x3 but I am looking into moving onto something better.
This is where the questions start! :)

Axe Fx 2

Because i am using a PC for my recordings and I use Pro Tools 9 I can aggregate Audio Interfaces atleast not easily so I play to use the Axe Fx 2 as a standalone unit and have it fed into the Presonus via XLR or TRS

Is there any sound quailty differences between Analogue and Digital USB / Firewire connect?

I also have listened to many videos on Youtube and the Reamping videos sound amazing. Really big sounding. But would direct in be just a good sounding?

Will it be worth reamping the Axe Fx 2? If so would I do this via a Power Amp like my Crown XLS2000 into a Cab or would reamping also work with the Atomic Cabs and Wedges. But from what I understand reamping an Atmoic Cab would be null and void seen as the amps are FRFR and there for an analogue connection straight to the mixer would yeild similar results appart from Mic and Room coloration.

Seen as I currently do not own an amp and my Pod x3 isnt good enough sounding for doing better recordings would I be better just buying an actually Amp stack? Like the Blackstart S1 200? Ive heared good things about it!

I also have to think about my future situation which may place me in a band playing guitar. Which will provide the sounds I want and like as well as be portable and easy to setup.

Really I just need some opinions.

Shall I buy a Blackstar S1 200 or just the HT-100
OR
Shall I save up for afew months and get the Axe Fx 2, And the Atomic Powered Cab? I am assuming the Atomic Powered Cab , Being powered, wouldnt require the Crown XLS2000 to power.
Btw what is the Wattage of the Atomic Cabs?

I see advantaged in both.

Blackstar would be half the price (more or less anyway). Bands like to see Analogue gear and Traditional amps
Axe Fx 2 Would be more portable and flexable. Some bands might like the techy stuff and the fexability means the axe Fx 2 could be used for a Bass Stack Simulator also..

Hmmmm

Please Advise! :)

I can't comment on most of the stuff u've asked since I don't know the specs. I own a ii with a k12. If you can afford the ii, are willing to invest the time in learning the unit. Go for it. You won't regret it. Don't worry about bands not wanting you.... U show up and say hey b4 u make any judgements listen to me play, & listen to my tone. If u've
Got it dialed in right they'd be crazy to not say ur in or deaf :)

If you are looking to use the AXE II for recording purposes this is all you need (assuming you already have a DAW).

RIG_EX2.jpg

The AXE II has great converters already incorporated into the on-board USB interface. It allows you to run two outputs simultaneously one processed and one dry for re-amping as well as two way digital audio. The power amp and speaker simulations plus other IR files give you all the realism you need for studio work. No joke! Just hook the USB connector to your computer with a DAW and you are set hardware wise.

If you want to go live, an Atomic powered cab or wedge (50W) is good enough for monitoring but I would still send the house a direct line.

If you are a hard rock or metal player, you might not find as great of satisfaction from FRFR only. It sounds good to the audience but some have said that it doesn't feel right on stage. Here is an optimal solution to me anyway.

RIG_EX.jpg

Red = Power, Cyan = Unbalanced, Blue = Balanced, Magenta = Speaker, Black = MIDI

The 4x12 cab is connected to a 50W Atomic 50/50 power amp channel that is fed from the AXE's FX Loop output (FX loop being placed between the amp sim block and cab sim block and bypassing cab sims). The main output of the AXE connects to a passive atomic FRFR cab through the second channel of the atomic power amp. There are still feeds with cab sims fed directly to the house. This configuration allows you to use the FR cab as a monitor for cleans and wet effect signals and use the 4x12 as a monitor for high gain tones. Your stage tone would be stellar.

Everything would run about $6000. Including a 6U shockrack.

HTH

Last edited:
I am currently using Some Yamaha MSR100's (4 To Be precise) as my recording studio desktop Monitors. Any opinions on their quality and responce. They seem to sound awesome! Just need to know :p

Btw would an Axe Fx 2 sound good through them If i wanted to use them on stage? For Live playing. Dunno if they would be loud enough! Hehe

Omg after listening to more Axe Fx samples I definatly want to wait and get one!

Because i am using a PC for my recordings and I use Pro Tools 9 I can aggregate Audio Interfaces atleast not easily so I play to use the Axe Fx 2 as a standalone unit and have it fed into the Presonus via XLR or TRS

Is there any sound quailty differences between Analogue and Digital USB / Firewire connect?

Going out through an extra step of D->A (analog out on the Axe) and then through the lesser quality sound of the Firestudio when you go back A -> D is likely not going to sound as good as if you were going directly digital. I'd use the digital out if you can (if your Presonus has SPDIF or AES IN) - that should sound as good as the USB, but not be as convenient.

My advice is to install Mac OS on your PC - make a hackintosh. Then you can aggregate your Firestudio with the Axe very easily!

No point in "reamping" the AxeFX through a real amp IMO; the Axe sounds just as good as any amp out there. The only "reamping" I do with it is to change the sound of a recorded DI track WITH the AxeII, so I can tweak without trying to play at the same time.

Anyways, that's my opinions, YMMV.

Btw would an Axe Fx 2 sound good through them If i wanted to use them on stage? For Live playing. Dunno if they would be loud enough! Hehe
If it sounds good at home, chances are it will sound good live (assuming no FM effect). However, 4 MRS100's would probably not cut for much other than monitoring yourself on stage, assuming you have a PA system you can feed to cover the house volume... and I doubt they would be capable of enough "volume" as back line speakers when competing with drums/bass. Too small...

Back
Top Bottom