I get feedback when I stop playing on some of my rhythm patches???

:? isn't that the whole point?
I don't know why that would be the whole point. But I'm a different animal than most. I don't like most tube amps I've played. I've never owned one or wanted to own one. I've always been using digital preamps since 1990 when I started playing. It's the flexibility that I value most. That and being able to get a better tone with multi-FX units because of integrated EQ's and stuff like that.

You should probably stop comparing the behavior of the XL to that of the ultra. They have nothing in common besides the name Axe FX. Different hardware, software, models, everything. Every system has its limits. The preset posted does have way more gain than I would personally use but that's just my opinion.

That's just it. Pretty sure the Ultra didn't have this particular limit. Sucks that it showed up in the successor to the product line.

Great way to take constructive criticism dude. Last time I try to help ya, laterz..
Sorry for offending, I was offended based on the below and was being honest. Maybe there are better words I should have used.

I'm thinking you have a different definition of the word if you used it describing my patch. I hate hate hate muddy guitar. I do everything to avoid it. And in my eyes my patches have none of it. Not even a little bit. If you have a different definition where it actually makes sense to be used, please share it.

Last edited:
Rule #1: do whatever works best for you, regardless of what anyone else says.

Unsolicited suggestion #87: when you're running with lots of stuff dimed or near-dimed, there's usually something you can roll off with no detectable change in tone or feel.

Unsolicited opinion #10,000: The Axe II is capable of more dynamics than the Axe I. That alone can push a preset over the edge, and the first place it will show up is likely to be the front input, with its extra wiring.

Long story short: see Rule #1.

Come to think of it, play around with the parameters on the Dynamics page. That might get you even more of the tone you're looking for, without the feedback.

Rule #1: do whatever works best for you, regardless of what anyone else says.

Unsolicited suggestion #87: when you're running with lots of stuff dimed or near-dimed, there's usually something you can roll off with no detectable change in tone or feel.

Unsolicited opinion #10,000: The Axe II is capable of more dynamics than the Axe I. That alone can push a preset over the edge, and the first place it will show up is likely to be the front input, with its extra wiring.

Long story short: see Rule #1.
I definitely agree with "more dynamics" in the Axe2. In fact I think there's just more definition in the lead tones overall compared to the Ultra. Doing lightly palm muted sweep arpeggios for instance sound way more clear than the Ultra.

I tried making a recording of the same riff using front and rear inputs, and the rear sounds like there's a small blanket on it compared to the front (less highs). So I'm going to stick with the front and attempt to keep the output1 at 50%. If that becomes a problem I'll try the dynamics page. I didn't find anything that I liked before on that page, but it's worth a shot.

Hi Jerotas,

out of curiosity I tried the preset.

Man, that’s a lot of gain. :)
Not my kind of thing at all, but that’s subjective.

With the Output knob at minimum (“whisper”), there’s no squeal, with either single coils or humbuckers. When turning up Out, it begins.

Now, I don’t hear only loads-and-loads of gain but a lot of noise too. I know that kind of noise, it is emphasis of too much high end combined with gain. The source is High Cut in the drive block. You’ve increased it from 1500 to 20k, as Mr Fender already noted.

Now I read that you’re not going to change that because “I don't like to narrow the frequency range of my expensive awesome pickups so I always leave the high pass and low pass at "non-existent" on drive blocks, and I'm not going to change that”.

Frankly, that’s like sticking your head in the sand. And it’s not true either. Every component in the chain affects your tone and the range of your pickups. The amp itself sometimes narrows the range. The Cabs do. And so on. All those metal players who were or are using Tube screamers in front of real amps, were high-cutting at 800Hz.

And it doesn’t affect tone that much either. Just try it: bring back High Cut to 1500 (default for TS Mod). The tone will hardly change, the noise decreases and the squeal is gone (at the volume level at which I tested). If you really miss some high end, bring it back after the amp with the GEQ.

I would not use the rear input because you’d circumventing the issue. And you may end up with even more noise because the front input has better noise protection.

Also, I’d not call this a bug. There’s limit to everything, even digital. Digital reproduction doesn’t mean that everything is fixable, or everything is possible. The Axe-Fx consists of modeled electronic circuits. There are still laws of nature in effect.

BTW, your mixer suppresses row 3, which has Cab 2 in it. Why is that?

Hi Jerotas,

out of curiosity I tried the preset.

Man, that’s a lot of gain. :)
Not my kind of thing at all, but that’s subjective.

With the Output knob at minimum (“whisper”), there’s no squeal, with either single coils or humbuckers. When turning up Out, it begins.

Now, I don’t hear only loads-and-loads of gain but a lot of noise too. I know that kind of noise, it is emphasis of too much high end combined with gain. The source is High Cut in the drive block. You’ve increased it from 1500 to 20k, as Mr Fender already noted.

Now I read that you’re not going to change that because “I don't like to narrow the frequency range of my expensive awesome pickups so I always leave the high pass and low pass at "non-existent" on drive blocks, and I'm not going to change that”.

Frankly, that’s like sticking your head in the sand. And it’s not true either. Every component in the chain affects your tone and the range of your pickups. The amp itself sometimes narrows the range. The Cabs do. And so on. All those metal players who were or are using Tube screamers in front of real amps, were high-cutting at 800Hz.

And it doesn’t affect tone that much either. Just try it: bring back High Cut to 1500 (default for TS Mod). The tone will hardly change, the noise decreases and the squeal is gone (at the volume level at which I tested). If you really miss some high end, bring it back after the amp with the GEQ.

I would not use the rear input because you’d circumventing the issue. And you may end up with even more noise because the front input has better noise protection.

Also, I’d not call this a bug. There’s limit to everything, even digital. Digital reproduction doesn’t mean that everything is fixable, or everything is possible. The Axe-Fx consists of modeled electronic circuits. There are still laws of nature in effect.

BTW, your mixer suppresses row 3, which has Cab 2 in it. Why is that?
Hi Yek, I remember you from wayyyy back. Cool to see you on here.

I have tried previously changing the high cut, when making my new Axe2 patches. It made me lose some definition, which I didn't like. I could get most of the definition back by adding high EQ after the amp as you said, but it didn't sound quite as good to me as just not cutting in the first place. So basically I should have said "I've done that before, didn't like it". I can try it again sometime. I know I did what you're talking about before on my old 10 space rack guitar rig back in ~2002. Cut high end, then distort, then add high back. Of course back then I didn't have the expensive pickups and distortion processors weren't nearly as good :) Currently, I like the sound of my patch recorded. I don't hear the noise or squealing except when I'm cranked past 50% output. My other guitar sounds even a couple notches better though, with active electronics (that's the one on the recording).

Row 3 is suppressed because at one time I was trying for a 2 cab sound but never found a good setting, so I just turned off cab 2 in the mixer channel in case I want to try again later.

I know the cabs narrow the range. I usually turn off the high / low pass filters on the amp block as well, to leave the whole spectrum intact at that point. Basically I like to narrow the range at the last possible space in the signal path, so I don't cut out too much and have less tonal possibilities later in the chain.

Thanks for the post (and to the rest of you who tried to help).

Reactions: yek
I get feedback when I stop playing too. People tell me "That was crap!"

Sorry, not helpful. As you were.

Strange feedback, strange noise gate settings , strange drive settings , strange/ crazy gain structure , strange/personal definition of "definition" ... A lot of user "different/strange " approaches the OP don't want to fix ...
A ts808 or wathever drive with wide open eq over an high gain amp is a noise generator
The meaning of a drive in front of a higain amp is to push the front end and EQ with the inner cuts proper of the same architecture of a drive ... In fact you can make it sounds similar with only a PEq or Geq pushed in level + mid boost + hi&low cuts ( pretty drastic )

For your problem of gain structure with your DAW ... Is super simple , create a template of the new mixer configuration so every new project is set properly to your Axe Out settings ... Not so big deal if you don't want to touch nothing on your patch but only lower the OUT at 50%

I hope my post don't sound sarcastic or offending ... I try to help

Edit: compressing or over compressing /driving the signal squash out the dynamic attack and the initial transient of the note = definition [emoji6]

Last edited:
Basically I like to narrow the range at the last possible space in the signal path, so I don't cut out too much and have less tonal possibilities later in the chain.
This is the part I don't understand. It's like saying, "When I make hamburgers, I like to use the whole cow, not just the meat. Otherwise, I limit my texture possibilities. i can pick out the bones and hair after they're done cooking."

You get a better burger when you remove the unwanted stuff early in the process.

If the squealing stops when output control is lower, turn it down and just increase the input gain of the track on your Audio Interface or in your DAW to compensate if needed. If your preset output is set to proper levels with the VU meters in the Axe, you should have more than enough signal strength with the Output control at about half way. Seems like you might be having some gain stating issues with your whole setup that is requiring the higher level settings.

jerotas: a thought...
quite often this high pitched squeal is generated internally by the FX unit.. trying to fix it by changing a single parameter is most often so detrimental to your tone that it's not a viable solution..
generally the issue is caused by a cumulative effect of gain / compression..
so the solution should likewise be a cumulative fix too

I've found that you can deal with this by making lots of small changes across many parameters in many blocks rather than a drastic change in one..
this way the impact to the tone overall is minimised..

small changes to amount of over-drive and distortion / compression / EQ / gating / levels / reverb length and strength / delay strength and length
the resultant tone shouldn't change too much overall, but things could calm down just enough to get things under control

the aim is to kill the squeal whilst preserving the tone and feel or your preset

I get feedback when I stop playing too. People tell me "That was crap!"

Sorry, not helpful. As you were.
Funny, never happens to me. Even with my "unplayable" tone. In fact, just the opposite.

I wasn't helpful? Ok, next time I find a potential bug, I'll keep it to myself and there will be no possibility of it getting fixed.

Edit: compressing or over compressing /driving the signal squash out the dynamic attack and the initial transient of the note = definition [emoji6]
We have different ears I suppose. I can hear the attack of each note on my patches. Maybe not so much as if I used less gain. But actually I like legato playing better most time - it's less percussive and smoother. So maybe I want less attack and transient? It sounds good to me.

jerotas: a thought...
quite often this high pitched squeal is generated internally by the FX unit.. trying to fix it by changing a single parameter is most often so detrimental to your tone that it's not a viable solution..
generally the issue is caused by a cumulative effect of gain / compression..
so the solution should likewise be a cumulative fix too

I've found that you can deal with this by making lots of small changes across many parameters in many blocks rather than a drastic change in one..
this way the impact to the tone overall is minimised..

small changes to amount of over-drive and distortion / compression / EQ / gating / levels / reverb length and strength / delay strength and length
the resultant tone shouldn't change too much overall, but things could calm down just enough to get things under control

the aim is to kill the squeal whilst preserving the tone and feel or your preset

All right, I'll give it a try next time I have a bit of time.

If the squealing stops when output control is lower, turn it down and just increase the input gain of the track on your Audio Interface or in your DAW to compensate if needed. If your preset output is set to proper levels with the VU meters in the Axe, you should have more than enough signal strength with the Output control at about half way. Seems like you might be having some gain stating issues with your whole setup that is requiring the higher level settings.

That's a possible workaround. This more annoys me than is unworkable.

This is the part I don't understand. It's like saying, "When I make hamburgers, I like to use the whole cow, not just the meat. Otherwise, I limit my texture possibilities. i can pick out the bones and hair after they're done cooking."

You get a better burger when you remove the unwanted stuff early in the process.

True with the hamburgers haha. The drive high pass / low pass filter thing is probably more theoretically distressing than it is aurally distressing. Putting high pass to 1500, I'm really saying "no, awesome pickup. You're actually not hearing anything above 1500 Hz". Which seems like a total waste to eliminate so early in the signal chain. I'm pretty sure than some frequencies above that sound great and don't want to cut them off right off at the beginning (that would be a pretty bland burger). But I can probably safely roll it down SOME from 20k without hearing anything. Maybe like 10k or even less.

Back
Top Bottom