I get feedback when I stop playing on some of my rhythm patches???

I'm not following you. You mean you tried it and you didn't get the squeal, or you did get the squeal, or you didn't try it, or...?

I didn't try it because to figure out what's going on, I want to be using the least amount of pieces. To find out if it happened without the speaker on, I'd have to insert a recording device into the equation. Nothing else to prove it otherwise.

To find out if it happened without the speaker on, I'd have to insert a recording device into the equation.

You could watch the output meters in the Axe utility menu. Or for easy recording, use the looper at 0% mix then bring the mix up to check the recording afterward.

You could watch the output meters in the Axe utility menu. Or for easy recording, use the looper at 0% mix then bring the mix up to check the recording afterward.

I forgot about that! Yes actually I don't even need a speaker to cause the squealing apparently. I see the output levels remain at the same volume when I stop playing, which is sqeal. As soon as I turn the output down enough, or turn off the guitar's volume, it doesn't happen any more.

So it's definitely looking more and more like an actual Axe-Fx bug now (or my Axe-Fx is faulty). Just that my other guitar somehow is immune. But that's a $8k guitar with crazy pickup buffering and stuff, so it's not really comparing apples to apples.

Ok, I took my Axe-Fx and guitar down to Guitar Center to do more testing. Definitely an Axe-Fx bug (or mine is faulty)!

I tried:
1) Plugging 2 other random (A Hamer and an LTD) non-active pickup guitars into my Axe-Fx with output1 volume at 100%. Still got the squealing. Even with speaker not connected (verified by output meter on Utility). Squealing disappeared when I turned output1 down to 50%. Same as at my house with my guitar.
2) Plugged my Ibanez into 2 real amps on very heavy gain. No squealing.

So, now that we know it's either a software bug or mine is faulty, how do we get this fixed? Shall I post the patch so some other Axe-Fx 2XL users can try to verify on their end if it also happens to them?

I am able to reproduce the squeal on the Axe II using similar settings, in that I used a High Gain amp, with a pedal in front to boost the signal, with the level up all the way on the Pedal, and turning off the Input Gate.

My one set of guitars which are active pickups do not squeal using same settings, it's only my passive pickup guitars that squeal. If I turn down output 1 a little than the squeal stop as well. So again same type of behavior I was able to replicate. I never noticed the two types of pickups reacted differently like that before because I don't setup my Preset's like you do, so I assume you found the issues just out of luck and need to set things up how you like hahha.

I am able to reproduce the squeal on the Axe II using similar settings, in that I used a High Gain amp, with a pedal in front to boost the signal, with the level up all the way on the Pedal, and turning off the Input Gate.

My one set of guitars which are active pickups do not squeal using same settings, it's only my passive pickup guitars that squeal. If I turn down output 1 a little than the squeal stop as well. So again same type of behavior I was able to replicate. I never noticed the two types of pickups reacted differently like that before because I don't setup my Preset's like you do, so I assume you found the issues just out of luck and need to set things up how you like hahha.

Awesome, thanks for replicating. I found the same thing, that active pickups somehow are immune to the sqealing.

Yeah, me too as well! I can in varying degrees replicate this with a few things out there (Kemper, Axe FX, BIAS Desktop etc...) Too much gain for my pickups. Tried on two deferent Axe FX's (Mark 1 and XL) same thing so...

I have read all pages, i agree, it's better to get an answer from fractal support.

But i wonder, if you put an overdrive in front of a real amp, set the output too high and if your humbuckers are passive, isn't it normal to hear a microphonic feedback? It is natural isn't it? I would think i should turn down the level until it doesn't create noise...

Maybe i am wrong, i just wonder and ask to learn...But if i am wrong, in this situation 'laughyouraxeoff's device has the same problem too?

Using Pre-EQ, boosting high frequencies + adding a fair amount of gain gets you to squeal town real quick! Lesson-learnt.
Also, adjusting the output 1 knob back helps. And the Axe FX is a little more squeal-tolerant when going through the headphone out.
My Focusrite interface seems to less immune to this...

I have read all pages, i agree, it's better to get an answer from fractal support.

But i wonder, if you put an overdrive in front of a real amp, set the output too high and if your humbuckers are passive, isn't it normal to hear a microphonic feedback? It is natural isn't it? I would think i should turn down the level until it doesn't create noise...

Maybe i am wrong, i just wonder and ask to learn...But if i am wrong, in this situation 'laughyouraxeoff's device has the same problem too?

Yes, i recall having this in the past.

laughyouraxeoff has exactly the same problem. I spoke with him on the phone. Is it normal with a real amp? I don't know, I tried a real amp, not with a drive pedal, but I'm not going to turn the amp up to 11 and see if it happens. That would be more a feedback problem of massive speaker volume interacting with the pickups.

Remember this problem happens even with no audible speaker volume.

I'm talking to support now, I'm going to send them the patch and see if they can reproduce.

Using Pre-EQ, boosting high frequencies + adding a fair amount of gain gets you to squeal town real quick! Lesson-learnt.
Also, adjusting the output 1 knob back helps. And the Axe FX is a little more squeal-tolerant when going through the headphone out.
My Focusrite interface seems to less immune to this...

I didn't use pre-eq. I didn't boost high frequencies purposely, but someone said the drive pedal I used does boost them as a side effect. This problem never happened on my Ultra with the same setup by the way.

Back
Top Bottom