I get feedback when I stop playing on some of my rhythm patches???

This is the exact attitude that prevents solving problems.
I was trying to clarify, as it seems pretty far-fetched to me (obviously from my wording) that a recording of feedback might help troubleshoot. I can easily record and post one if that's what is desired. I thought the asker might want a recording of something a little different than just feedback.

In truth, that request sounded to me like a sarcastic question, the point of which was to see if I'd fall for it so they could laugh at me if I went through with it. I apologize if that offends someone, but it makes sense to me.

Last edited:
I tried the foam, picture attached below. It did nothing for the feedback. Removed it after the test.

Attachments

• cavity.jpg
    cavity.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 42
Well, a recording of the feedback can give an indication of the problem. If it's a low howl that comes on slowly then it's probably an acoustic feedback issue. If it's a sharp high whistle that comes in like somebody flipped a switch it's probably a pickup gone microphonic and producing a magnetic resonance. If it's a nickel covered pickup it could be the cover resonating.

My suspicion is a microphonic pickup. Does it change pitch if you depress the trem? If not, then it's a microphonic feedback of some type.

Well, a recording of the feedback can give an indication of the problem. If it's a low howl that comes on slowly then it's probably an acoustic feedback issue. If it's a sharp high whistle that comes in like somebody flipped a switch it's probably a pickup gone microphonic and producing a magnetic resonance. If it's a nickel covered pickup it could be the cover resonating.

My suspicion is a microphonic pickup. Does it change pitch if you depress the trem? If not, then it's a microphonic feedback of some type.

Ok. It comes in instantly, and is quite high pitched, higher than 2.3 fret harmonic on G string. Moving the whammy bar does not affect the pitch.

Now that we think it's microphonic, how is such a thing fixed?

Nickel covered? No idea. It looks like a standard Seymour Duncan pickup with the 6 screws and other 6 that don't have slots in them. It's not a soap bar cover. It's not a SD, just looks like one. It's about twice as expensive as those.

Does it sound about the same with either pickup on? Can you post a recording?

How did you verify it's not strings ringing behind nut?

Does it sound about the same with either pickup on? Can you post a recording?

How did you verify it's not strings ringing behind nut?
Well I held all the strings behind the net while it was squealing and before it squealed and it didn't stop it. Is there a better way to test that?

It sounds the same on either pickup aside from the "pickup EQ difference". Recording here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40293802/sqeal.mp3.

The clip is bridge pickup first, then neck pickup.

Now I have no idea why I can play through my gigging monitor without these problems. That's baffling.

Touching the strings is a good enough test. Same for trem springs actually if no foam etc. available. That definitely sounds microphonic.

It doesn't sound like a microphonic pickup issue really. At least not the kind I was thinking. If you've ever heard a pickup go microphonic due to failed or no wax potting, it's a high pitched, super intense squeal that hits like a freight train.

Also the fact that it's both pickups and only with a specific set of speakers leads me to believe it's some kind of resonance feedback situation.

It might improve if you can gain a little extra separation from the speakers.

It doesn't sound like a microphonic pickup issue really. At least not the kind I was thinking. If you've ever heard a pickup go microphonic due to failed or no wax potting, it's a high pitched, super intense squeal that hits like a freight train.

Also the fact that it's both pickups and only with a specific set of speakers leads me to believe it's some kind of resonance feedback situation.

It might improve if you can gain a little extra separation from the speakers.
Actually I get the squeals even if the speakers are turned all the way down (can see it on the LED meter on the MOTU and hear it ever so faintly), and even if I walk all the way across the room with the guitar (about 10 feet away from speakers) and even if I do both. I have no idea what to do. I expect if I take it to the guitar tech, it won't be feeding back there, same as my gigging monitor, so he won't be able to even reproduce the problem.

Any kind of active booster or pre eq before the amp section? Strong boosts of certain frequencies can cause such squeals.

Any kind of active booster or pre eq before the amp section? Strong boosts of certain frequencies can cause such squeals.
Yes I always have a boost of the TS-808 with the volume all the way up and no gain. And that's the way I like the sound. I mean I can test it without it but even if it doesn't squeal I don't think that's an acceptable option for me.

Yes I always have a boost of the TS-808 with the volume all the way up and no gain. And that's the way I like the sound. I mean I can test it without it but even if it doesn't squeal I don't think that's an acceptable option for me.

A TS boosts highs a lot. That could be part of the problem.

Hi - It sounds like a really infuriating problem!!
The sound is very much like a problem I've experienced a few times when there is a hearing aid induction loop in the room, which is magnetic feedback, though I'm not saying that's what it is for sure!

If everything is quiet with nothing plugged in to the AFX, or with the guitar plugged in but turned down, may I suggest taking it a step at a time- Turn everything off and disconnect the AFX from the MOTU. Move the AFX away from any other bits of gear, and listen on cans plugged in the front of the AFX. If there is now no whine, power up the MOTU (with computer off if possible) and connect the AFX to it while still listening on the cans. If it now whines try moving the Axe to another location, changing the interconnects etc. If it's still quiet, power up the speakers and other bits of kit a piece at a time until you find the trigger...
Once you have identified the simplest combination that sets it off you should have a better idea of the cause.

Good Luck!!

Ok thanks to Jezza's prompting, I eliminated one variable when I started to think outside the box. The difference between my gig monitors and studio monitors was because I CRANK output1 which goes to my computer / studio monitors, but output2 going to my gigging monitor was on maybe 40%. When I CRANKED output 2 to 100% the gigging monitors also squeal the same, even when I turn the speaker volume down to almost inaudible levels and walk 10 feet away.

So guitar into Axe-Fx into Alto full range monitor (or Yamaha studio monitor) both produce squealing. Seems like a software bug or something else really weird - because if I turn down the output to 40% and then crank up the actual speaker volume much louder than they were before, there's no squealing. It definitely requires that cranking of output volume (I'm not clipping the outputs though - no red lights come on). Which I can work around if that's all it is, sure. I just would like to know why it happens, and why my other guitar can't trigger it at all.

If I use headphones into of monitor, the squealing happens, but it takes longer to get to full squeal volume (probably because the guitar can't hear it very well).

Also the squealing mostly only happens in full bridge or full neck pickup selection, not any of the other 3 blend modes. Turning off the drive pedal also eliminates the squeal, but my tone definitely sounds worse with that, so I don't want to do that.

Any ideas? Faulty equipment? Known issue?

Last edited:
It sounds like tweeter squeal. That happens when there's magnetic coupling between a tweeter and the pickup. But it's weird that it happens even when your monitors are turned all the way down. Does it happen when your monitors are turned off?

It's also weird that your bridge buzzes on certain notes. Something's not right there. Maybe it's part of the problem.

It sounds like tweeter squeal. That happens when there's magnetic coupling between a tweeter and the pickup. But it's weird that it happens even when your monitors are turned all the way down. Does it happen when your monitors are turned off?

It's also weird that your bridge buzzes on certain notes. Something's not right there. Maybe it's part of the problem.
I'm not sure the tweeter squeal thing makes sense that it only happens when I put the output volume close to 100%, regardless of speaker volume...

I'm not sure the tweeter squeal thing makes sense that it only happens when I put the output volume close to 100%, regardless of speaker volume...
Yeah, that's the puzzling part. It almost sounds like there's something in your signal chain that's putting out a strong magnetic field that your guitar is picking up. I bet the squeal goes away when you roll off the volume on your guitar. :)

Yeah, that's the puzzling part. It almost sounds like there's something in your signal chain that's putting out a strong magnetic field that your guitar is picking up. I bet the squeal goes away when you roll off the volume on your guitar. :)

Yes it does lol. It also goes away if I roll down the tone knob to half (sounds terrible though).

Back
Top Bottom