i found your missing high end

My axe 3 has so much sweet, sweet high end I can sell most of it to l*ne 6 for a tidy profit, make some sweet fudge cookies with the rest and STILL have enough for the soundman to shake his head in disbelief at the tone I'm feeding him.

The HF Resonance Frequency is the "corner frequency" of the voice coil inductance. As this inductance isn't a pure inductance due to eddy currents the calculation is a bit complex however it is roughly equal to:
fc = R / (2 * PI * L)
where R is the voice coil resistance and L is the inductance.

A typical voice coil has R = 7 and L = 1 mH. This yields:
fc = 7 / 6.28e-3 = 1100 Hz.

Most voice coils are a bit lower inductance than this. The typical range for fc is 1200 - 1500 Hz.

so many places to squeeze out extra high-mids...i used to poke the preamp and dynamics tab with a stick for hours...didn't do squat. Moving speaker HF resonance setting down moves the filter out of the way in exactly the way I'm looking for to uncover or let out the high-mids (THAT ARE ALREADY THERE), in a way that's apparent even with amp knobs still at noon. No idea what it's doing, or why. Sounds equivalent to plugging into a "better sounding cab", speakers sound better in the high end.

so many places to squeeze out more or shift top end...bright cap, Triode Plate freq, Xformer match/drive, speaker impedance. Moving speaker HF Res down has the most profound and immediate (and most non-invasive, keeping the amp circuit as coded default) effect to get those high-mids to pop out like i remember hearing when playing an early 2000s 3-Channel Dual Rec or Tremoverb, even at low volume it was clear as crystal in the high mids. Compared to a current model multi-watt 3 channel or Roadster/Roadking, where the high end only pops out when you really push the master.

tfw you excite a guitarist forum with expressed opinion
giphy.gif

At this point I must ask....what is your setup? What are you running through/using as monitors?

Playing around with all of the parameters, even if you don't end up using most of them, is well worth the effort. Doing so I've discovered a couple of go-to parameters for dialing in my tone and have a general idea where to go if something seems to be missing.

This may be quite a bit of your issue there....I used that same little speaker once or twice, experimenting with all the different types of things I could connect to the axe, didn't like the results.

Also, tweaking on cans is going to cause.....issues.....

I remember a mix I had done, only on cans, excitedly played it back on a sound system at the band room, and I have never been more embarrassed!

I'd recommend something like some reference monitors or even a small (quality) PA to tweak like the zxa1, you will get WAAAY better results, I guarantee it.

since the speaker HF Res is set right, monkey brain say it something else next to speaker that opens up the top end, something connected to speaker. Speaker Impedance and Xformer match both down to 0.50 does the same opening of hi-mids...and makes the preamp breakup softer. Must have used smaller transformers back then. NONE OF THAT STUFF IS PREAMP, how is it affecting the gain breakup so much??? It's all preamp distortion with master on 1.68.

Attachments

• Dual Rec Lab.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom