I don't think this is possible but wanted to ask...

Davus PG

Inspired
I'm spending most of my time on a dual amp preset with an AC30 and a Plexi running simultaneously. I'm using scene controllers to adjust the gain from clean to EoB to full crunch with seamless switching.

What I'd like to be able to do is have different combinations of effects on different scenes, but to be able to access any of my 3 amp sounds on each scene. Kind of like scene ignore. So for example in a scene with chorus and delay, is it possible to switch between my 3 amp tones on that scene?

I think not as I'm using scenes for the amp tones and you can only select one scene at a time.

Thinking a work around might be to have the bypass of effects grouped to control switches (like reverb and delay on CS1 etc) but then you're locked into having to bring all the effects linked to that control switch in at once, so probably more sensible just to have effects assigned to their own switches...

Thank you

Would control of input gain for each amp be enough, or are you changing tone and other things at the different gain settings?

Maybe an expression pedal for your Amp gain levels? You could even setup the modifier curve with a bit of a flat spot in the center to help hit your EoB sweet spot a little easier.

Or a small 3-button midi controller.

This is going to get weird, but here's an option that might work.

Scene Controllers are part of the Controller "block". The Controller block has 4 channels.

You could use different Scene Controller settings on each channel of the Controllers and use Channel Select to change between them. That would allow for 4 distinct sets of scene controllers.

I don't recall if the Controller block supports Scene Ignore, though... Which would be needed if you want to persist those settings across scene changes.

Also, this comes with a caveat: changing channels of the Controllers affects ALL internal controllers in the preset.

I've been thinking about something similar, where scenes are effect combinations, and a simple channel switch (or 4) changes amp channels.

Where that breaks down is if your presets use two amps at once (like yours), since AFAIK a switch can't change channels on multiple blocks at once.

I couldn't think of a way to access all 8 channels as different amp settings either.

All this just makes me wish again for channel groups and bypass groups.
There are so many scenarios that'd solve.

Maybe an expression pedal for your Amp gain levels? You could even setup the modifier curve with a bit of a flat spot in the center to help hit your EoB sweet spot a little easier.

Or a small 3-button midi controller.
Expression pedal was my first thought.

Thank you for all the replies.

OK, so ditching scene controllers, is it possible to have a toggle between Amp block 1 and Amp block 2 that bypasses the non active block?

What I'm trying to achieve is seamless changes between 2 amps using a block for each amp and scene ignore so that my scenes are 8 different effect combinations with the ability to switch from say a tweed to a 5150 with no gaps.....

I know I can do this with channels, and the gap is tiny, but curious to see if anything can be gained by making use of that 2nd amp block!

OK, so ditching scene controllers, is it possible to have a toggle between Amp block 1 and Amp block 2 that bypasses the non active block?

What I'm trying to achieve is seamless changes between 2 amps using a block for each amp and scene ignore so that my scenes are 8 different effect combinations with the ability to switch from say a tweed to a 5150 with no gaps.....

I know I can do this with channels, and the gap is tiny, but curious to see if anything can be gained by making use of that 2nd amp block!
I think changing channels of a multiplexer could toggle between two amps.

But I don't know how to do that and change still channels with the same switch, which is what you're need to get your 8 amp channels.

That's very doable. You could use a Control Switch assigned to both Amp block bypass parameters. Swap the Min and Max (off/on) values on one of them.

I think changing channels of a multiplexer could toggle between two amps.

But I don't know how to do that and change still channels with the same switch, which is what you're need to get your 8 amp channels.
Yes, You can attach a Control Switch to the 'Input Select' parameter in the 'Multiplexer' block to toggle between two rows.

Or 'morph' between the two rows using a Mixer block and some Damping (Attack and Release) in the modifier window.

Here is an example on a client's Axe-Fx III custom preset.

You can add some Amp specific blocks in their own rows too, while you are at it.
Mixer block morphing.png

Here are the modifier window settings that I came up with to make the crossfade transition smother. I am using a Scene Controller as the Source 1, but you could easily use a Control Switch instead. And it will ignore scene changes and retain it's last position as long as the 'CS per Scene' values are all set to 'Last' (default), unless you want a specific scene to always use a specific amp block.
Mixer block morphing 2.png

Last edited:
That's very doable. You could use a Control Switch assigned to both Amp block bypass parameters. Swap the Min and Max (off/on) values on one of them.
Ah yes!!!! Of course....

Thank you Moke

Or 'morph' between the two rows using a Mixer block and some Damping (Attack and Release) in the modifier window.

Here is an example on a client's an Axe-Fx III custom preset.

You can add some Amp specific blocks in their own rows too, while you are at it.
View attachment 112756

Here are the modifier window settings that I came up with to make the crossfade transition smother.
View attachment 112764

This may take a bit longer to get my head around but I'll give it a try, would never have thought to do this.

So many ways to skin a cat with Fractal, and always learning!

Thank you everyone

Here is an example on a client's Axe-Fx III custom preset.

View attachment 112756

Here are the modifier window settings that I came up with to make the crossfade transition smother. I am using a Scene Controller as the Source 1, but you could easily use a Control Switch instead. And it will ignore scene changes and retain it's last position as long as the 'CS per Scene' values are all set to 'Last' (default), unless you want a specific scene to always use a specific amp block.
View attachment 112764
WOW Moke! That is amazing, thanks for sharing!!

I typically use as combination of control switches and expression pedal to change amp gain within a scene. For example, I often have CS1 set to turn on the preamp boost, and then an expression pedal controls the amount of boost - so boost off is the clean setting (or wherever I have the amp drive set), CS1 turns the boost on with the amount set to get edge of breakup, and then the expression pedal sweeps the boost amount up from there to as hot as is desired. And I may have the level or an EQ parameter linked to the same controllers so they change when the gain does, or even an FX block - for example, I have an 80s clean preset/scene where the chorus is very wet on the clean setting, but as I increase the boost amount with the expression pedal it decreases the chorus mix.

Back
Top Bottom