I don't "get" the IIC+

arw

Unpopular opinion: the IIC+ doesn't seem to have that much gain and doesn't feel particularly chunky to me. Why do people recommend this so often for metal? I think it's more of a mild gain lead amp for Santana enthusiasts.

The JP2C seems a bit better/more usable for metalheadz but feels quite different to the original IIC+ models in my opinion.

What am I missing? Change my uneducated opinion!

as soon as you know how to tweak mark amps, you can make them easily sounds godly in almost any genre.

go easy on bass in preamp, a bit of mids and quite a lot of treble, gain at around 2-3 o´clock with graphic EQ set to "V" curve is the recipe for one of the best chunky sound in amp universe IMO.

Here´s IIC++ model (my most beloved fractal amp sim) :
try it with this setting and let us know what you think :

input drive 7.5
input trim 9.5
bass 1.25
middle 3
treble 6.5 - 8.0
presence 1
master volume 2
output 0 db

Mark V EQ inside amp block :

80hz +6db
240hz +2db
750hz -7db
2200hz +4db
6600hz +1.5db

as soon as you know how to tweak mark amps, you can make them easily sounds godly in almost any genre.

go easy on bass in preamp, a bit of mids and quite a lot of treble, gain at around 2-3 o´clock with graphic EQ set to "V" curve is the recipe for one of the best chunky sound in amp universe IMO.

Here´s IIC++ model (my most beloved fractal amp sim) :
try it with this setting and let us know what you think :

input drive 7.5
input trim 9.5
bass 1.25
middle 3
treble 6.5 - 8.0
presence 1
master volume 2
output 0 db

Mark V EQ inside amp block :

80hz +6db
240hz +2db
750hz -7db
2200hz +4db
6600hz +1.5db

Cab?

Here it is compared to the Mark IV, JP2C and Triaxis models. Plenty of tight, articulate gain on tap as is BUT you can always add the fat switch and/or input boost to really make it sizzle.

I wonder how you feel about the IIC++ model these days Leon ?

You used it for quite a while, but now I see you use more mark IV/JP2C/Triaxis Lead Yellow models.

I did really extensive testing for myself of all mark models, but I always find the IIC++ is better then the rest soundwise, but especially in feel department, IIC++ has that super elastic feel IMO, but still super tight.

Still love it. In fact I have copies of my main live preset with just the amp swapped out so I can switch from the IV, Triaxis, IIC++ or JP2C if I feel like it. I tend to prefer the IV live these days but sometimes it's fun to change!

With IV model I feel like the bass in the preamp needs to be always on 0.
Anything higher makes the sound woofy, whereas with IIC++ I can set bass on 2, which makes the sound really big, but still tighter that IV with bass on 0.
Also, with IV I have to use your input low cut at 250hz (your trick does wonders ) with my prs tremonti usa.
With IIC++ low cut set to 50hz is enough.
So I feel like the IC++ is more tweakable in this area. Same applies to 6600hz fader.
With IC++ I can set it pretty high for loud playing with band (+ 3db), where with IV 0db on that slider is pretty much max.
Just some observation for any Mark freaks out there :)

Last edited:
With IV model I feel like the bass in the preamp needs to be always on 0.
Anything higher makes the sound woofy, whereas with IIC++ I can set bass on 2, which makes the sound really big, but still tighter that IV with bass on 0.
Also, with IV I have to use your input low cut at 250hz (your trick does wonders ) with my prs tremonti usa.
With IIC++ low cut set to 50hz is enough.
So I feel like the IC++ is more tweakable in this area. Same applies to 6600hz fader.
With IC++ I can set it pretty high for loud playing with band (+ 3db), where with IV 0db on that slider is pretty much max.
Just some observation for any Mark freaks out there :)
I have the real one of mark IV, it is have more bass. In the real amp, i dial bass around 0 - 1,5 max , I use it with 2x12 feels like ... i really love the hump and oomph when you chug it. The problem is, The master Volume is super sensitive. just a little nod on the master volume will make your windows explode.... or sound just right.

I have the real one of mark IV, it is have more bass. In the real amp, i dial bass around 0 - 1,5 max , I use it with 2x12 feels like ... i really love the hump and oomph when you chug it. The problem is, The master Volume is super sensitive. just a little nod on the master volume will make your windows explode.... or sound just right.
yeah, I played real mkIV and had exactly the same experience with adjusting the master volume, almost blew my ear drums, haha :D.
Just of those things, where using fractal is much better option, IMHO :)

I love Mesa amps, having owned/own 6, but never a Mark series, unless you count the Tri Axis. They can be hard to dial in, but once you do, they sound amazing. You have to ignore where the dials may end up, and rely on your ears. If the Bass wants to be on/near 0 to give you the tone you want with your guitar, then so be it. I've also found you have to keep going back to other settings, and re-adjust them, once you've adjusted others. It took me a long time to get tones I really liked out of my DR and Tri Axis, but it was worth it, in part because it taught me how Mesa's gain staging works. And I've read several of their manuals, many times, which also helped. I don't like that they're this complex, but I understand why.

As for the amps in the Axe, jeez, there's so many good ones, that if I can't seem to get what I'm looking for in, for example, the IIC+, which I have tried, I just move onto another one. So far, I like the Triple Crest and the JPIIC the best. Modern rock crunch tones using a Majesty.

As to the "mystique" surrounding the IIC+, I'll venture a guess: It was John Petrucci's favorite amp early in his career, his ungodly chops made many guitarists take note, and of course, they wanted his tone, so they started with using similar gear. He got an endorsement from Mesa Boogie, and used many of their other amps, but always seemed to gravitate back to the C+, which further reinforced the throngs of guitarists wanting to play like him (I'm one), which only furthered the desire of the amp. Then, he got a signature amp, and what's his favorite part? The IIC+ circuitry.

And you've also got Metallica that have used them, so there's that also.

I love Mesa amps, having owned/own 6, but never a Mark series, unless you count the Tri Axis. They can be hard to dial in, but once you do, they sound amazing. You have to ignore where the dials may end up, and rely on your ears. If the Bass wants to be on/near 0 to give you the tone you want with your guitar, then so be it. I've also found you have to keep going back to other settings, and re-adjust them, once you've adjusted others. It took me a long time to get tones I really liked out of my DR and Tri Axis, but it was worth it, in part because it taught me how Mesa's gain staging works. And I've read several of their manuals, many times, which also helped. I don't like that they're this complex, but I understand why.

As for the amps in the Axe, jeez, there's so many good ones, that if I can't seem to get what I'm looking for in, for example, the IIC+, which I have tried, I just move onto another one. So far, I like the Triple Crest and the JPIIC the best. Modern rock crunch tones using a Majesty.

As to the "mystique" surrounding the IIC+, I'll venture a guess: It was John Petrucci's favorite amp early in his career, his ungodly chops made many guitarists take note, and of course, they wanted his tone, so they started with using similar gear. He got an endorsement from Mesa Boogie, and used many of their other amps, but always seemed to gravitate back to the C+, which further reinforced the throngs of guitarists wanting to play like him (I'm one), which only furthered the desire of the amp. Then, he got a signature amp, and what's his favorite part? The IIC+ circuitry.

And you've also got Metallica that have used them, so there's that also.

My first Mesa experiences were terrible. I remember plugging into a Dual Rec and thinking “There’s no f*cking way Petrucci is using these.”, plugged into a MKIV and said the same exact thing. On a whim I decided to try dialing things in the total opposite of what I thought they should be and THEN I realized where all the good stuff happens.

Definitely wouldn’t expect to hear that someone isn’t getting the gain the want from a JPIIC+, just slap on the Shred models and it’s distortion city! I actually named my JPCII+ preset “JFC” because that’s exactly what I said when I switched to it and heard the mass amount of balls and distortion. :D

My first Mesa experiences were terrible. I remember plugging into a Dual Rec and thinking “There’s no f*cking way Petrucci is using these.”, plugged into a MKIV and said the same exact thing. On a whim I decided to try dialing things in the total opposite of what I thought they should be and THEN I realized where all the good stuff happens.

Definitely wouldn’t expect to hear that someone isn’t getting the gain the want from a JPIIC+, just slap on the Shred models and it’s distortion city! I actually named my JPCII+ preset “JFC” because that’s exactly what I said when I switched to it and heard the mass amount of balls and distortion. :D
There's been more than one time when dialing in my DR, thinking, it needs new tubes! Then I was like, lemme try doing whatever my ears are telling me, turning down the gain a bit, and turning up the master. "Oh shit. There it is. I'm getting it!"

Yeah the JP2C is definitely more than enough gain, I was more referring to the original 2C+ models, they seem to have a lot less...

Yeah the JP2C is definitely more than enough gain, I was more referring to the original 2C+ models, they seem to have a lot less...
Well cliff models the amps accurately, and the JP (red channel) is supposed to sound exactly like a C+ (at least according to JP himself), so I'd assume the tone is in there.

The thing to remember about the the JP-2C is that it is "hardwired" internally as if all the pull shifts available on a IIC+ are engaged barring the bass shift. The FAT (treble shift on the real amp), plus the bright cap (pull bright on volume 1), plus the pull bright on the lead master add quite a lot of gain when engaged.

Try the IIC+ Deep Bright model with the FAT switch engaged and the bright cap turned on if that isn't enabled by default on the model and that should be essentially the same setup as the JP2C is preset internally.

doesn't seem to have that much gain

i've felt the same way for a long time. on every mark amp or mark-derivative dual gain pot preamp I've played irl, I only run the first gain knob at maybe 3 or 4 to keep the treble peaker bright, with the second gain knob at 7 or 8 to finish the job. with treble maxed out those settings rrrrrrrip. on the models with those settings it's hardly even on. they seem to need a lot more coaxing to scream, input trim gets slammed first thing

Mark series amps don't get as mushy as other amps when the gain is cranked. Some folks perceive that as less gain since they are used to the mush from something like a Dual Recto. It also tends to make them less forgiving to sloppy playing, which is fantastic for somebody like Petrucci, but can be tough for us mere mortals.

Back
Top Bottom