I changed strings recently, now the guitar only performs half step bends on the G string

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnBee

Inspired
I noticed something very odd after I changed strings on my Les Paul. On the G string if I perform a whole step bend it only sounds like a half step bend. It does this on every fret. The guitar is in tune. I’m using 10’s. The bends are correct on the B and high E string. It had been a couple of years since I changed strings on this guitar. Has anybody run into this issue before? I plan on taking it in for a set up, maybe an intonation adjustment or saddle adjustment is needed. Just seeing what people thought here. Thanks

Need some more information about the guitar. Is it fixed bridge or tremolo? I guess I’m a little confused when you say it will not bend to a whole step. Are you physically unable to bend it further? Is the neck clean and smooth? I’m assuming it’s an unwound G string?

Sounds odd. Perhaps the string might be slipping at the tuning peg or the peg itself is slipping.

G string on a Les Paul often sticks at the nut. Try a bit of nut sauce or even rub a soft pencil in the nut groove and see if that fixes it

Are you using exactly the same type of strings as before? If the tension of the new set is lower than the old set the neck may be slightly straighter, lowering the action. It’s also possible that the neck moved whilst the strings were off, and hasn’t moved back to precisely the old position.

What do you mean by "perform a whole step bend" exactly? What happens if you keep bending beyond where the pitch is at a 1/2 step up? Were the strings the same gauge as what you had on before?

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I’ll try to be clearer on what is happening. I’m physically performing a full step bend on the g string. But it only produces a 1/2 step pitch sound. so if I physically bend the g string on the 12th fret a full whole step it only produces a G sharp sound not an A. No matter how much I bend the string. If I bend it 2 whole steps maybe I can get close to the A pitch. I‘ve done pitch bends forever as most here have. I know how much to bend a string to get 1/2 step or whole step or step and a 1/2. I can do the same bends on another guitar it sounds correct. My les Paul has a Floyd rose. This has never been an issue before. I’m using the same strings (daddario) I always use. Thanks hope that’s clear.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I’ll try to be clearer on what is happening. I’m physically performing a full step bend on the g string. But it only produces a 1/2 step pitch sound. so if I physically bend the g string on the 12th fret a full whole step it only produces a G sharp sound not an A. No matter how much I bend the string. If I bend it 2 whole steps maybe I can get close to the A pitch. I‘ve done pitch bends forever as most here have. I know how much to bend a string to get 1/2 step or whole step or step and a 1/2. I can do the same bends on another guitar it sounds correct. My les Paul has a Floyd rose. This has never been an issue before. I’m using the same strings (daddario) I always use. Thanks hope that’s clear.
Please answer if the string retains pitch after the bend.

Is your Floyd Rose floating? If not, is the spring tension too loose and it dives as you bend? Did you go to a heavier gauge set?

Last edited:
Can you post a video of this please? I'm still having a really hard time understanding what's physically happening here, even with the info that the guitar has a Floyd on it.

I noticed something very odd after I changed strings on my Les Paul. On the G string if I perform a whole step bend it only sounds like a half step bend. It does this on every fret. The guitar is in tune. I’m using 10’s. The bends are correct on the B and high E string. It had been a couple of years since I changed strings on this guitar. Has anybody run into this issue before? I plan on taking it in for a set up, maybe an intonation adjustment or saddle adjustment is needed. Just seeing what people thought here. Thanks
This is imposible unless something gives when you bend up. The only thing I can think of is the string unwinding around the ball end but this would make it seriously flat after each time and then it will break. New string, fixed.

Sure sounds like the trem is diving when you’re bending or the bridge piece is loose. Could a spring come off while you were changing strings? I would inspect the Floyd for any issues with the setup.

A video please. sounds like your bridge is diving as you bend. More or stiffer springs will give less compliance in the floyd and make for bending less distance to get the pitch raise you are going for.

The open G string retains pitch. The saddle looks ok, I don’t see movement. It is a floating trem (goes back and forth) Again this only happens to the G string. I believe it is happening to the other wound strings too but I don’t really bend those a whole step So I cant really tell. I’ve tried it with 2 different stings and it does the same thing. It must be the bridge diving ever so slightly as I bend. I’ll take it in to get a new setup. There’s a really good place where I live. I’ll report back what they say. Thanks everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom