I can't put these 2 scenes in same preset

danielworks

Inspired
Hi guys, any tip would be greatly appreciated ...
I am trying to put in the same preset these 2 scenes; one in parallel fx routing for clean tones and other in series pretty much straightforward (drive+amp+cab+delay+reverb).
Even that I save every block from the 2nd scene (solo) and try to use in a different channel it sounds too much different due the routings adding "bypassed" guitar signal and changing the gain structure of the overdriven preset. I tried to run a different path from IN 1 > drive > amp 2 > cab 2 > delay 2 > reverb 2 , but i run out of dsp.
Would it be possible to make a workaround to have exactly the untouched sound of the overdriven preset on this preset ?Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 19.40.03.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-22 at 19.40.21.png

Attachments

• Roodis Tones.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
  • CAE Daniel Landau Drive.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I do not have a III yet but maybe you could try and put some kind of mixer, volume, eq blocks or something where you have that shunt over the delays so you can mute that shunt when going parallel.

I am trying to put in the same preset these 2 scenes; one in parallel fx routing for clean tones and other in series pretty much straightforward (drive+amp+cab+delay+reverb).
Even that I save every block from the 2nd scene (solo) and try to use in a different channel it sounds too much different due the routings adding "bypassed" guitar signal and changing the gain structure of the overdriven preset. I tried to run a different path from IN 1 > drive > amp 2 > cab 2 > delay 2 > reverb 2 , but i run out of dsp.
Would it be possible to make a workaround to have exactly the untouched sound of the overdriven preset on this preset ?
It is possible to manually combine presets, but that can get very complicated very quickly, especially when the layouts are different, as these are, and even more so when the blocks and types are different; Though the FX3 has the most power of the FAS modelers, it doesn't have an unlimited capacity as you found, so decisions often have to be made about what sounds we want out of each scene, because, between those two presets there are 13 scenes, so which do you want?

When I combine presets, I figure out what blocks contribute the sound(s) I want, then copy them into a new preset, retaining their general position before or after the amp and cab, and if they're post-amplifier, their relationship to other post-processing blocks. It takes a while to analyze the way the blocks interact. Parallel paths make it more difficult because you have to dissect what they're doing with the blocks.

It's not an easy task, and we can't do it for you because we don't know what you're hearing in the two that you want to retain once the presets are blended. I recommend restarting your attempt to blend them, and taking advantage of the Snapshot tool so you can move forward and backward through the changes you make. And, when you get stuck, ask a specific question about a specific problem, and show, in detail, what you are trying to accomplish at that moment. Perhaps start with the In, Amp and Cab, and Out block and get the raw sound working, then add the extras.

Also, it seems like you're confused about the terminology since you're calling presets "scenes". I'd recommend reading the manual starting on page 8 and following any links to additional pages for more clarity.

Remember, scenes are just the blocks in the preset in various 'states'. Scenes are not completely different presets within a preset. In this case you would need to combine those two presets into one preset and then see if you can figure the routing and the bypasses needed to make them work as scenes. Personally I would just keep them as 2 presets, unless there is a reason you need to have them all in one preset.

"due to the routings adding "bypassed" guitar signal and changing the gain structure of the overdriven preset"

remember to play close attention to the bypass mode of each block. check the manual so that you understand what "thru", "mute in", "mute out" etc actually do. any block that's running in parallel to the main line should have it's mix value set to 100% and a bypass mode of "mute in" or "mute fx in" so that it doesn't pass dry signal when it's bypassed

That's not how scenes work. You want to cram two big presets into one, the question is why? With clever switching you can get great results. Just don't overdo trying to place all your dream pedals or sounds into one single preset.

I messed around with this preset a little while, not sure if it's exactly what you're going for, but.... Try scenes 2 and 3 for the two different sounds.
I had to throw some factory cabs in, and ran out of room for the series reverb, but might give you a start anyways.
Thank you !
I didn't tried yet but as far as I see until now, in the overdriven scene the delay should come before the reverb and now there's 2 delay blocks. I have just to find how to remove one of them and place it right after the amp block

Super lazy/easy way to do this - have the two chains exactly as you have them, have a multiplexor in front of the Out1 and use the multiplexor to select which chain you use.

This is an awful way of doing it - but will work!

These presets are based on Michael Landau clean and overdriven sounds. For the clean tones I found this parallel routing the best way to get closer to 80's chorus and fx racks and I would like to have the another preset as a scene for a solo
Remember, scenes are just the blocks in the preset in various 'states'. Scenes are not completely different presets within a preset. In this case you would need to combine those two presets into one preset and then see if you can figure the routing and the bypasses needed to make them work as scenes. Personally I would just keep them as 2 presets, unless there is a reason you need to have them all in one preset.

That's not how scenes work. You want to cram two big presets into one, the question is why? With clever switching you can get great results. Just don't overdo trying to place all your dream pedals or sounds into one single preset.

I would just begin to make two parallel paths and switching them using a multiplexer. And then I would try to figure out how to make it more serial, which looks doable (maybe incorporating the Send/Return-blocks).

"due to the routings adding "bypassed" guitar signal and changing the gain structure of the overdriven preset"

remember to play close attention to the bypass mode of each block. check the manual so that you understand what "thru", "mute in", "mute out" etc actually do. any block that's running in parallel to the main line should have it's mix value set to 100% and a bypass mode of "mute in" or "mute fx in" so that it doesn't pass dry signal when it's bypasse"d
"Dry signal" it was the word that I needed ;)

Super lazy/easy way to do this - have the two chains exactly as you have them, have a multiplexor in front of the Out1 and use the multiplexor to select which chain you use.

This is an awful way of doing it - but will work!

I would just begin to make two parallel paths and switching them using a multiplexer. And then I would try to figure out how to make it more serial, which looks doable (maybe incorporating the Send/Return-blocks).
I managed to do it, but I ran out of DSP, even with everything bypassed :(
What's the diffefence between the multiplexer and the mixer enabling only the secondary row ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 10.32.55.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 10.32.55.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 15
Nothing, if it’s just changes between 100% setting per row.

Next step would be to get the both rows together. Maybe use different channels and the bypass options - and if not needed the mixer to only activate one row of the parallel path if 2 are not needed.

As above no difference, you can also merge blocks - you don't need two amp blocks, just use channels.Reduce the number of shunts too they take CPU (just a little)

Well, i think I got it !
I had to change the bypass mode of every block cause they were adding dry signal even when bypassed and changing the tone.
The only thing now is just compensate in the mixer the exact amount of level that's subtracted when active. Even that my secondary signal chain is 100% in the mixer, the level isn't the same of the exact signal chain in other preset. Do you guys know how much gain exactly I should put in the mixer to compensate it ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 17.21.56.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 17.21.56.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom