I bought 6 pedals

Bulldog50

Inspired
I have a Fender Twin Reverb that I wasn't playing through very often because I have an AXE FX III going through some Yamaha studio monitors. So I thought I should be using my Twin a little more, so I bought some high quality pedals, the usual stuff like an organic overdrive, a higher gain overdrive, a good delay pedal, a compressor and a Phaser. Yet no matter how I adjust my pedals, using all of them or just some of them, I cannot get the quality of sound that the AXE FX III gives me. So my respect for the boys and girls at Fractal has gone up a notch.

I have a Fender Twin Reverb that I wasn't playing through very often because I have an AXE FX III going through some Yamaha studio monitors. So I thought I should be using my Twin a little more, so I bought some high quality pedals, the usual stuff like an organic overdrive, a higher gain overdrive, a good delay pedal, a compressor and a Phaser. Yet no matter how I adjust my pedals, using all of them or just some of them, I cannot get the quality of sound that the AXE FX III gives me. So my respect for the boys and girls at Fractal has gone up a notch.
Yea, the Axe makes a fantastic virtual pedalboard in front of a real amp, if that’s how you want to run. I use mine like that all the time.

Yea, the Axe makes a fantastic virtual pedalboard in front of a real amp, if that’s how you want to run. I use mine like that all the time.
I was told when I first bought the AXE by someone at Fractal that it really should be used thru studio monitors that don't color the tone like most guitar amps do. But I see your point. I guess it could be a virtual pedal board too. Before I got my Yamaha monitors, I did play it thru my Twin and it did sound good, but since then, I have been using it thru the monitors.

I went down the same path a few years ago. Shelling out for boutique pedals and finding neither the quality nor the flexibility was there when compared to the Axe FX ( II XL+) and if I think about where we are with the FX3... enough said.

i agree, had similar experiences with my last and gone tube amp, a hand wired ac15....but in many cases, IMHO this has also a lot to do your ears and fingers getting used to a certain setup.

Please, don’t let me remember how much I spent in “boutique” pedals. 😭

The never ending research of vintage components, the waiting lists, the custom made…I sold them all (but the KoT).

Try comparing the Axe-Fx 3 effects into the Twin Reverb like you would use the pedals. Stereo vs mono will make a huge difference with time based effects.

I was told when I first bought the AXE by someone at Fractal that it really should be used thru studio monitors that don't color the tone like most guitar amps do. But I see your point. I guess it could be a virtual pedal board too. Before I got my Yamaha monitors, I did play it thru my Twin and it did sound good, but since then, I have been using it thru the monitors.
Just to be clear, don’t run an amp model into another real amp…. Just set up a patch as you would a normal pedalboard, no amps or cabs, then run into your real amp. Just as good (often better) than a real pedalboard.

Just to be clear, don’t run an amp model into another real amp…. Just set up a patch as you would a normal pedalboard, no amps or cabs, then run into your real amp. Just as good (often better) than a real pedalboard.
You can totally run an amp block into another amp block or real amp. Leon has done a video on amp block as pedal.

Honestly the cost of pedals was one of the main things I considered when I bought into the axe fx system, I was just a beginner player so didn't really have much. I weighed the cost of getting a proper tube head, plus cab, plus a load box to actually be able to play it at home, plus an entire pedalboard, and that made the decision to purchase the axe instead pretty obvious, best decision I made for sure

You can totally run an amp block into another amp block or real amp. Leon has done a video on amp block as pedal.
Fair enough. If it sounds good it is good, but I was just trying to describe how you’d typically set up a virtual pedalboard in the context of the advice he’d gotten from Fractal to run into a neutral system (which, of course, a real amp isn’t.).

Fair enough. If it sounds good it is good, but I was just trying to describe how you’d typically set up a virtual pedalboard in the context of the advice he’d gotten from Fractal to run into a neutral system (which, of course, a real amp isn’t.).
With a real amp and axe in 4 cable method you can insert an amp block in the loop and just turn power amp modeling off (globally or by bringing sag down to zero) it's like mixing different preamps with your amps power section. Definitely some cool tones there.

With a real amp and axe in 4 cable method you can insert an amp block in the loop and just turn power amp modeling off (globally or by bringing sag down to zero) it's like mixing different preamps with your amps power section. Definitely some cool tones there.
yup. I've done that with my Tucana 3. Works great! Like getting a whole new amp.

Honestly the cost of pedals was one of the main things I considered when I bought into the axe fx system, I was just a beginner player so didn't really have much. I weighed the cost of getting a proper tube head, plus cab, plus a load box to actually be able to play it at home, plus an entire pedalboard, and that made the decision to purchase the axe instead pretty obvious, best decision I made for sure
I funded my first Axe FX rig (used AFX II XL with MFC-101) by selling an amp head, a custom pedal board and switching system (TheGigRig Pro 14 Midi, would recommend that business, they make good kit), and just a few of the pedals. Have to agree that if starting from scratch, and with a reasonable understanding of how to get the sounds you want - absolute no-brainer! Axe FX offers all the sound quality and more range/flexibility at vastly reduced cost. Thinking back, I must have spent something like $400 on patch leads and 9V power supply when I built my pedal board. Add that to the switching system cost, and the pedal board/flight case that housed them, and you are most of the way to a new Axe FX III before you account for a single pedal or amp.

If I ever need a pedal board into a real amp again, it will just be an Axe FX. Hopefully the AFX III/FC12 will seem like overkill so I have an excuse to get one of the floor units. ;)

Liam

Back
Top Bottom