I am having trouble deciding on a MIDI foot controller for AXE FX 2

Just open the unit up, unplug and plug 2 ribbon cables, and boom, you've relocated your preset and scene foot switches on a MKI or MKII version. Obvioulsy a MKIII would be nice, but you can get a MKi or II for about half the price used and really make it do the same thing in just a few minutes

Well, yes, but doing that also relocates the associated function switch , which might be annoying if you don't want to get used to having your bank down switch above your bank up switch :). And you don't have silent footswitches. But if cost is a factor, the MkI or II are still obviously better than just about anything else out there and most people are fine with the preset switches at the bottom anyway :)
-
Austin

Rolls Midi Buddy (yup) - PC (preset) only changes 0-127. Okay, I've had oh forever so had to include

FCB1010 while cost effective is not plug and play. Friend had one had to program, Eureka prom made no flipping sense to me and yanked the damn thing. Uno programmed via Ripwerx wasn't too bad, think that gave like 90 presets and 5 switches that were used in stomp box mode. Each have newer versions and sure it continues to get better.

MFC is plug and play. Doesn't get much easier, do yourself a favor and get the MK3 if go this route, you will appreciate FASLink (if have XL/XL+) and ability to change starting IA. I preferred click of MKI/MKII switches over the MKIII but gotcha here is MKI/MKII ones are soldered to boards so PITA to replace. You have option of two editors... while I only know one ;) bet they both rock. Top notch FAS support, downside is MFC limited to 384 presets and need midi cable for backups/firmware updates.

RJM GT is a different beast and worth every penny if can spring for one. Access to all 768 presets (XL/XL+), LCDs, killer editor via USB, pages, macros, press & hold functions, any switch can be anything you can dream up, daisy chain units if want to go extreme (two GT22s together is simply crack smoking on steroids), top notch support to boot. Honestly I think it's 99% as plug and play as MFC. Overkill? Absolutely... Worth it, HELL FLIPPIN YEAH

FCB1010 works ok with Uno chip. Great value for the price. Control Center software editor is great for the cost.

I was a longtime user of Ground Control (original and Pro). Great pedals... Not very flexible in use with the Axe Fx, in my opinion.

Gotdius Big Little Giant (LGX2) is very nice, extremely flexible and has programming features I've not seen on any other controller. Excellent form factor.

MFC is the most integrated and plug and play, obviously and pretty configurable, especially the mkIII.

If I were using any other midi devices in addition to the Axe Fx, I would still be using the Gordius...

I've got no idea where you heard that but it's wrong. The MFC is the only foot controller that plays nice with the Fractal out of the box. It's made by Fractal and is literally plug and play. It's built like a tank and is very customisable. I'd highly recommend it.

^^^
This has been my personal experience.

If only the MFC had pages and displays over each switch, I'd much rather get that than any other.

If only the MFC had pages and displays over each switch, I'd much rather get that than any other.

Well that's essentially what the Mastermind GT pedals are (with button hold functions and more to boot!). But you definitely pay for those features. I've always thought that Fractal would come out with a pedal like that for the Axe FX 3 (the MFC101 has, from all indications,been dead from a further development/feature standpoint for quite a while), but it might be so expensive that it wouldn't be worth their while.
-
Austin

I've got no idea where you heard that but it's wrong. The MFC is the only foot controller that plays nice with the Fractal out of the box. It's made by Fractal and is literally plug and play. It's built like a tank and is very customisable. I'd highly recommend it.
this. yup. fully agreed. I've tried the Midi Mate, the Midi mouse, fcb1010 and MFC, and LOVE the MFC.

Been with Liquid Foot stuff for quite a while now, before I had a ground control pro back in triaxis days (mesa abacus before that). Then on to the Axess Fx1 and expander, LF Jr, LF Pro, now a LF12+, does anything I need and more I'll never use. Support is sometime sketchy as he's a busy dude with lots of irons in the fire. Rock solid as well.

It depends on what you want and need from your own personal rig.
I use a One Control Crocodile Tail Looper, its perfect for my needs. I also like to keep and play through real amps and cabs from time to time, and this works seamlessly for both rigs (for what I want to do). It also allows me to switch real pedals into the chain before the Axe FX with true bypass separate loops. This also allows me to keep my best sounding vintage pedals and can free up valuable Axe CPU.
It's Midi too, with one push of a button I can switch presets, change scenes, switch real pedals in/out, and can have it act as a slave midi for my other equipment (currently JMP-1 rack unit , Line 6 wireless, Eventide reverb unit)
I loaned an MFC from a friend once, and whilst it works perfectly with the AXE, and gives you access to all unit functions, it didnt leave me feeling the need to purchase one. It's quite big in size, and since I wasn't prepared to swap my current set up, I wasn't going to carry both rigs around with me, so I decided to keep the croc with real effects pedals, since it works effortlessly with real amps and cabs too.

Just my two pence worth... Who knows though, one day I may feel the need to purchase the MFC too

Small Rig.JPG

Attachments

• PedalBoard.JPG
    PedalBoard.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 18
I would like to see a cooperation/partnership with RJM on a dedicated connection between the AxeFx and MMGT they are already very intune. As to the cost I have pointed out it's prohibitive, however, this is all top of the line gear! We can't complain, both companies are small and independant, they run great risk of financial troubles no matter what they do and they too need to make a living. Yes even a good living!

RJM music technology, be prepared to drool and then curse at them about why they can't get the prices down!
$1.3K ($130 per button) and it won't mix my drinks or cook dinner. Tough sale indeed. I read the sight promo but missed what is alleged superior to its competitors. What clinched it for you?

$1.3K ($130 per button) and it won't mix my drinks or cook dinner. Tough sale indeed. I read the sight promo but missed what is alleged superior to its competitors. What clinched it for you?
I agree the price is excessive, however, it works perfectly. Interfaces with the Axefx like Cliff made it and it does everything you need it to do for every other piece of midi gear you have while looking so neat and high tech because it is. However, if you can't afford to throw money around the MFC 101 is the better buy for AxeFx. Both FAS and RJM are small independent companies competing against the big boys, I think we can allow them the higher profit margin and cost, Buy American!

Liquid foot has been developing a new amazing controller for what, three years now. If it ever gets out (I doubt it), it will be awesome. Same price as MFC.

Oh, the MFC leds can be changed to different colors, g66.eu used to offer that when you buy from them. The XLR connection between MFC and Axe is a huge plus!

I use a bj devices tb12 myself, affordable and rugged unit that does enough tricks for me.

BTW thanks for this thread, I deceided and ordered a MFC101 :)
The only one that would have been better is the liquid with little screens, but it's overkill :D
On the other hand, I think I bought MFC-Edit for nothing, meh

I really love the MFC101, but there is a con if you are color blind like me. The footswitch led's have 2 colors, red and green I guess? Red can show that there is an effect present in the preset / patch...and in the bypassed position. Click it and the effect is now active and the color goes to green. When you have presets that have different effects it is good to have a reference to it on the controller...the red led being lit...or nothing lit.

I think there is an option to turn the two color scheme off so that its just one. But I haven't done that since it wouldn't be giving you a reference that a preset "has an effect available or not". I pretty much can only use it to change entire presets or scenes. I don't use it to turn on individual effects again because of the two toned led. Can't see the difference.

Definitely correct me if I am wrong, but I am just throwing that out there if you are colorblind.

This can be fixed by exchanging the LED's.
I know it is time consuming and a pain, but I did it for a friend and it works like a charm. Red and blue is a much better combination for colourblind.
This LED is the one to get. http://www.pur-led.de/LED-Einzel-Hi...NUSPOL.html?listtype=search&searchparam=20031

This can be fixed by exchanging the LED's.
I know it is time consuming and a pain, but I did it for a friend and it works like a charm. Red and blue is a much better combination for colourblind.
This LED is the one to get. http://www.pur-led.de/LED-Einzel-Hi...NUSPOL.html?listtype=search&searchparam=20031

Oh Thanks for the info Ole, how accessible are the LED's in there? Are they soldered? Maybe I will take a look at doing that. I am proficient at soldering. I make my cables, and assembled a handful of effect pedal kits.

First choice: MFC of course, it's plug and play. And offers advanced features if you need those, check the wiki for those.

If your needs go beyond that: RJM.
I've got the GT/22, and it's one of the main reasons why I don't upgrade to the AX8 for gigs, because it's so f* fantastic.

I have always been a MIDI controller freak (owned a lot including Gordius) and the RJM is the only device that fulfills all my needs, including world-class support.
It's being used by famous artists around the world.

But: more work to configure than the MFC. And yes, it's very expensive, and even more when you add the phantom power box, additional switches etc.

I made a video to demonstrate the RJM working with the Axe-Fx II. I should make an updated one, but I hate making videos.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom