I am going Axe-Fx II - what do I need?

Gas Hed

I'm a newbie, and I've been researching going digital for some time now. I have decided on Axe-Fx II and have no doubt I will be happy with the choice. What I am looking for here is recommendations on how to set it up at home and live.

At home - I will go the power amp FRFR speaker path. There isn't much talk about amps or speakers, so is it safe to assume that anyone will do the job? Or are there prefered options?

Playing live - do I go into a PA or do I go into a speaker cabinet and have it miced? What about playing a jam with friends (no PA)?

Thanks much for the tips Fractal friends!

Direct to FOH/monitor mix, or PA to traditional or FRFR cab are the typical configurations (or a combination thereof).
Mic traditional cabs if you're not using FRFR and need to run through a house system. That said, running direct is the easier and more consistent option.
Atomic, Matrix, and XiTone are amongst the best reviewed companies for PA & FRFR solutions.

At home I use the Atomic CLR powered speakers.

Live I use the same powered speaker(s) + run an XLR to the stage box for FOH.

For stage and jamming, try to find an atomic CLR. (Along with direct to FOH)

For home, I like to use this setup:

tylergrund_axefx_monitorsetup.jpg

That's good insight Gamedojo. I had no idea you could run it through a stereo rig. I've got a Sony ES with B&W tower speakers - I'm assuming that would work. Just such a paradigm shift for me.

That's good insight Gamedojo. I had no idea you could run it through a stereo rig. I've got a Sony ES with B&W tower speakers - I'm assuming that would work. Just such a paradigm shift for me.

Have you heard some of his clips that he has posted up? He build the presets on that stereo system and they sound really good!

Jammin through a home theater system is just great... super addicting. as for shows? try running a power amp to the cab you're used to and see how it strikes you. Are your speakers for you or the audience? It really depends on what you play and what you're used to. Some dudes like a lot of air moving on stage, so they want a cab and mic, other folks are just concerned about personal monitoring so a decent wedge and the cab sims works great. Usually there is more consistency to the "personal monitoring" approach since you're hearing exactly what FOH hears, but you'll need some faith in your sound guys and the PA's at the venue's you'll be playing at.

Just got a pair of Martin Logan Theos electrostat speakers that I want to test the axe through to see how it sounds.

The bugzappers!!! I haven't heard the theos, just their entry level electrostatic speakers, but man there is something special about that top end... I'm jealous!

Last edited:
Thats why I made that graphic. Most don't realize this is an option.. and IMHO, a great option since its the system we listen to full music to, so why not guitar tones?

Also..IMHO, FRFR systems are not good for home use. Those systems are built for volume, dispersion, and stage use. Overkill for home.

Hey Ron - to control volume on powered cabinets, do you have to do it on the cabinet itself or is there a remote option?

You mean like a remote control? I've never seen one with that kind of remote. Most have a volume knob (kind of a master) on the unit, then you can control your volume from the Axe (or whatever).

when you use fractal devices they make any speaker amp set up sound good! even a gorilla amp sounds good with an axe in front of it! you could play it trough grammas hearing aid if you wanted to. good luck and welcome!

MFC-101 would be a nice addition to the new rig as well. Especially if you'll be gigging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, they're a lot better sounding than their smaller versions. And the top end is why I got them, no actual tweeter. They just sound awesome. I still haven't set this pair up yet waiting on cables and whatnot lol. But after hearing gamedojo's sounds I really want to try the ace through them.

Back
Top Bottom