I’d like to kill every tree in North America.

They should be kicking back some money from that oak. 7” diameter. That’s a lot of good hardwood lumber.
Actually I had my wood working in law come and gather up the good stuff. There was some good sections, but the reason that one went first was it had a large section of rot working it’s way up the center. I saved some money on the tree guy not having to remove everything. It was still a hell of a job for my in law.

One of the big boys is at least a 100 ft. Perfectly straight hickory. I was thinking about see what money I could get. However I do like that tree. Also have a couple really tall and straight poplars. Most of the crazy ones close to the house on our property were Oaks, Cherry and these ugly things they call Hackberry are gone now. Unfortunately the Cherry’s had a good bit of rot throughout.

!00% the best renewable resource on the planet are trees. As long as you use them responsibly, everything you buy that is made out of trees is a carbon sink.. and the fun fact is that a tree sucks up the most carbon in its first 15-20 years.. after that they do not really do much.. so I say chop them down and make things, plant new ones so we can make things out of them as well. ;)
Very good point and true. They peak out and then become susceptible to disease and rot and become a liability in many ways. We all have seen what improper forest management causes out west.

I forgot to add neighbors who don’t get the problem and won’t spend the money to hire a tree cutting crew and their trees on their property are more of a threat to my house then theirs. And there’s nothing you can do about it. If I trim the limbs growing over my property and kill their tree I’m liable. Yet, if their tree falls on my house they have no liability. That’s what insurance is for I’m told.
It’s usually those same neighbors that won’t even do their leaves and just let them lay hoping they blow into the peoples yard who do.

Thank god I live in a country and a society where I can work an hour or 2 overtime doing very little to pay for burly capable men to climb ladders I won’t climb and deal with voltages I’m not going anywhere near. ‘Murica!

Seriously thinking of going in on my day off just to get someone here to do the gutters. It would be easier.
Dude, you just described one of the many beauties of being in business for yourself. I've done exactly what you said many times. Then again, I've taken off early, brought a grunt or 2 home with me, and worked on my lovely grass yard! :laughing:

When did life EVER conform to our wishes?

We are not special---except to our own self-aggrandizing and indulgent views of
our own importance.

Luckily no one was hurt. :)

We all have seen what improper forest management causes out west.

What about things like historic drought conditions, areas naturally
prone to wildfires, some of the fires being the result of human causes,
and massive homes and developments being built in areas that are very
arid to begin with?

Not defending the management side of things (especially things like prescribed
burns that get out of control---that's awful!)---just that it seems a stretch to name
forestry management as the sole, or primary, cause of forest fires.

Many of the largest fires to ever happen predated modern forestry management,
and have happened in places not called "The United States of America."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wildfires

My 5 acres are hammocked in large oaks. I love my trees. I can put up with trimming costs and leaf pick up. They make the yard many degrees cooler in summer, and keep the frost off in winter. here in Florida, in some cities you have to get approval from the town or county to trim and or remove trees, if removed without permission they will fine you.

Some people don't get hyperbole.
Too much of what seems like it should be hyperbole isn't these days. There must be a law for hyperbole that is similar to the recently-deceased "Godwyn's Law" and has suffered a similar fate due to the decline in the quality and content of public debate....

Tree's give us oxygen, houses, guitars, shade, food, heat, medicine and a source for much life. They protect from erosion, hold moisture and actually can be a wind break.

They do all the same for animals (even guitars):

R.jpg

What about things like historic drought conditions, areas naturally
prone to wildfires, some of the fires being the result of human causes,
and massive homes and developments being built in areas that are very
arid to begin with?

Not defending the management side of things (especially things like prescribed
burns that get out of control---that's awful!)---just that it seems a stretch to name
forestry management as the sole, or primary, cause of forest fires.

Many of the largest fires to ever happen predated modern forestry management,
and have happened in places not called "The United States of America."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wildfires
Usually you get thing accurate, but you’re way off on this one. Please don’t use Wikipedia to prove an accurate point. Natural wildfire in areas and history that haven’t been artificially mismanaged are/were a good thing. California has made a complete mess with not letting nature take its course naturally especially when houses are built in these areas. There is so much dried ground buildup that when a fire starts it become a raging inferno. Oh and Southern California was and is a desert. The only reason there is drought conditions is because the evil leaders are using water as a weapon along with all modern utilities. The only thing that kept S. California alive was the import of water from far, far away. The lowering of reservoirs is purposeful. California better start investing is desalination and forget about obsessing on electric cars.

Bottomline, humans have large brains that are or were capable of being smart about how to manage (be good Stewards) nature so it can can thrive, cultivated, enjoyed, protect, etc..

My 5 acres are hammocked in large oaks. I love my trees. I can put up with trimming costs and leaf pick up. They make the yard many degrees cooler in summer, and keep the frost off in winter. here in Florida, in some cities you have to get approval from the town or county to trim and or remove trees, if removed without permission they will fine you.
Here in the north getting 5 acres is a huge luxury. Everything I have been talking about are 100’s of homes all on 1 acre plots and everyone wants there home in the woods. It just doesn’t work after 30 or 40 years. I have family in Florida and been there many times. Florida is a completely different beast. I like the shade too, but like everything a balance must be struct.

As much as possible, I avoid...
  • buying a house where the power lines aren't buried
  • buying a house that isn't surrounded by trees
  • living in places where the buildings aren't surrounded by trees
  • living in places where my sightlines to the horizon aren't mostly blocked by green living things

I visited California once. It wasn't green enough. The "golden hills" may have had gold in them, once; but they aren't golden in color; they're just brown from lack of water. The trees seem to have one branch per every 20 feet, each of which has five leaves per branch. Muir Woods -- a reputed "cloud forest" -- was tan with hints of green. Compared to Appalachia, it seemed like a halfhearted effort.

The problem with skyscrapers is that there aren't trees tall enough to block them from ruining my view.

The problem with newer housing developments is that they scrape the trees off the land before building the houses, which is offensive, because then I have to look at the houses, instead of looking at the trees.

Given the option, I'd live on the side of one of the mountains in North Carolina, Virginia, or Tennessee.

I get it: Your mileage may vary.

But I am describing what is "home" for me. I identify with (not as one of; that would be silly; just with) Tolkien's elves. The best, most beautiful light in which to live and walk and take deep breaths is the silvery shimmering light that filters down to one's eyes through a canopy of wind-rustled leaves.

A dear friend of mine was raised in Arizona, then moved to Chapel Hill, North Carolina. He said that living outside Arizona made him feel vaguely claustrophobic, because he was unable to see to the horizon in every direction. I love the guy; and in the abstract, I "get" that the "painted desert" can be lovely in a certain way.

But just as the twilight under the leaves isn't "home" for him, the lack thereof just isn't "home" for me.

Back
Top Bottom