Humbuster question

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
I did some reading on this and it makes perfect sense to me how it works, but I'm wondering if I could connect this using a balanced destination. Basically can I go TRS from the II to XLR to the destination?

I did some reading on this and it makes perfect sense to me how it works, but I'm wondering if I could connect this using a balanced destination. Basically can I go TRS from the II to XLR to the destination?

The humbuster is to reduce ground noise on single ended inputs, so going to a balanced load makes it moot.

Why wouldn't you just use the XLR outs for that?

Danny W.

They're already going to another device. Basically I've got it rack mounted and feeding an audio interface for recording and desktop monitoring and I want to be able to plug into a set of floor monitors without swapping cables so I can compare patches or just want to get loud and obnoxious.

They're already going to another device. Basically I've got it rack mounted and feeding an audio interface for recording and desktop monitoring and I want to be able to plug into a set of floor monitors without swapping cables so I can compare patches or just want to get loud and obnoxious.

Outs 1 & 2 are both unbalanced, so you might have noise, but it should work.

Edit: Seems to me that if you wire the XLR side in humbuster style it should work as expected, since you'll be grounding one side of the unbalanced input (sleeve) and the sensor wire (ring) together at the same point.

Danny W.

Last edited:
I'm curious about what the level differences between the two are. If I'm understanding this properly the humbuster thing is to provide noise rejection to unbalanced connections which usually run at a lower signal level than balanced.

I just have a hard time using unbalanced for anything. I go out of my way to not buy it in the first place, I think that my house is actually the sole source of all 60Hz hum on the planet. My deepest apologies to everyone who's ever had a hum issue; it's from my house.

I'm curious about what the level differences between the two are. If I'm understanding this properly the humbuster thing is to provide noise rejection to unbalanced connections which usually run at a lower signal level than balanced.

I just have a hard time using unbalanced for anything. I go out of my way to not buy it in the first place, I think that my house is actually the sole source of all 60Hz hum on the planet. My deepest apologies to everyone who's ever had a hum issue; it's from my house.

The humbuster setup worked well for me in getting rid of a whistle and buzz running into unbalanced inputs, so you might well try it. You can easily modify a non-molded TRS cable in about a minute to test it--I took a single strand from a zip cord end about an inch long and twisted it around the ring & sleeve connections. Once I found that it worked, I made up permanent cables.

If you have 1/4" unbalanced inputs on the monitors, you might as well use those with the humbusters; you won't be gaining anything running unbalanced into the balanced inputs.

Danny W.

Thats the other part of the problem; I've got all XLR stuff right now. I've got some regulat 1/4" TS connectors, but can't find any TRS laying around even though I know I have a stash of them laying around here somewhere. That's what happens when you organize the utility room; you can't find anything.

The humbuster setup worked well for me in getting rid of a whistle and buzz running into unbalanced inputs, so you might well try it. You can easily modify a non-molded TRS cable in about a minute to test it--I took a single strand from a zip cord end about an inch long and twisted it around the ring & sleeve connections. Once I found that it worked, I made up permanent cables.

If you have 1/4" unbalanced inputs on the monitors, you might as well use those with the humbusters; you won't be gaining anything running unbalanced into the balanced inputs.

Danny W.

Refresh my memory... Is the hum buster feature on the XLR only or also the output 1 unbal? I use the unbal out 1 to feed my line mixer. I have TS cables wired. If I can improve my SNR I'm all for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom