Humbuster cables

The "Humbuster" effect works the same, no matter what the length is. The wires connected to the ring and sleeve of the TRS connector will always have identical length.

You're correct: all cables—balanced or not—should be as short as possible, for several reasons. But with line-level signals and well-shielded cable, there will be no audible difference between a half-meter and 20 meters, unless you're in a wickedly noisy environment.

I was thinking about the loss of high frequencies with longer guitar cables, where there's an audible difference between a 9m and a 3m cable.
But when the signal is line-level through unbalanced cables, it doesn't matter that much?

Last edited:
I was thinking about the loss of high frequencies with longer guitar cables, where there's an audible difference between a 9m and a 3m cable.
But when the signal is line-level through unbalanced cables, it doesn't matter that much?
You're right. Line-level signals won't suffer from high-frequency loss unless the cable is ridiculously capacitive or ridiculously long. This is mainly because line-level signal sources and loads have much lower impedence than guitar-level stuff. Because of that, the effects of cable capacitance are reduced, usually below audibility.

You're right. Line-level signals won't suffer from high-frequency loss unless the cable is ridiculously capacitive or ridiculously long. This is mainly because line-level signal sources and loads have much lower impedence than guitar-level stuff. Because of that, the effects of cable capacitance are reduced, usually below audibility.

Awesome. Thanks! You learn something new every day ;)

Last edited:
The easiest way of building your own humbuster cable is to buy a stereo cable (double TRS). Open one plug, solder ground and ring together. Mark that plug to be the amp side. Finished!

Do you know where i can get a diagram of how to do this correctly with just one double trs cable?

With a small amount of practice you can make your own cables with the same type of quality for a fraction of the cost of "boutique" cable makers. Not so sure I agree with their contention that G&H plugs and CGI cable are the "best". You can buy an awful lot of Belden & Neutrik cable components for what they're charging.

But you can't buy time :)

Lol @ no time for making cables.

It takes all of 5 minutes tops to make a cable. 2 snips, 2 strips, 2 solders and bam.

I hear the "I'm rich and don't care." That's totally cool. Makes sense....but if it takes you 2 hours to make 20 cables....you've got serious issues.

Lol @ no time for making cables.

It takes all of 5 minutes tops to make a cable. 2 snips, 2 strips, 2 solders and bam.

I hear the "I'm rich and don't care." That's totally cool. Makes sense....but if it takes you 2 hours to make 20 cables....you've got serious issues.

So make us some cheap then ;)

I didn't need 20 cables. I needed 2 30 footers. If I order the materials from Redco it'd run me about 18-19 bucks a piece in materials plus shipping. Fractal charges $29 for the ready made cable and they had a negligible impact on shipping when I ordered my FX8. It wasn't a tough decision. FWIW, I did make my own humbuster cables for my Axe-FX2 and while it wasn't too difficult it took me more like 15 minutes a piece so I guess I've got serious issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom