Humbucker to single coil and vice versa EQ

gnegne

Hello, somebody has a good starting point GEQ block or PEQ block to obtain sound like Humbucker -> Single Coil and Single Coil - > Humbucker or in general LesPaul to Fender and vice versa?
I would love to use only 1 guitar in small venues instead of 2 different guitars.
Thanks for any tip!

EQ is just one of the differences between single-coils and humbuckers. If you want both sounds in one guitar, split your coils.

Here is my SC -> HB EQ. I typically run this first in the chain. I'm not trying to sound like an HB pickup but more just getting a good fat SC tone.

Attachments

• SC to HB V2_20161008_163718.blk
    233 bytes · Views: 21
EQ is just one of the differences between single-coils and humbuckers. If you want both sounds in one guitar, split your coils.

I ended up with Humbuckers that are setup for parallel instead of splitting and they work great. Ran into a lot of noise when splitting them for some reason. It eliminated the need for EQ at that point but a pain in the neck to rewire if you are not used to the work.

Splitting a humbucker kills the hum cancellation and gives you a single coil pickup, so you end up with typical single coil hum. Wiring the coils in parallel keeps both coils active so you still get noise cancellation between the reverse wound and reverse polarity coils like with positions 2 and 4 on a modern Strat.

mr_fender, which setup do you like better? If I use a strat, I like the true single coil sound setup. If it is anything else that is a humbucker, I like the parallel setup.

Splitting a humbucker kills the hum cancellation and gives you a single coil pickup, so you end up with typical single coil hum. Wiring the coils in parallel keeps both coils active so you still get noise cancellation between the reverse wound and reverse polarity coils like with positions 2 and 4 on a modern Strat.
Cool. So I imagine (for some reason) that the tone of coils in parallel are brighter - would that be the case?

Personally, I find it's easier to make a strat sound somewhat like a bucker guitar rather than the other way around. It's easier to roll off high end, bump the low mids, especially if distortion is involved. I can get a pretty convincing edge breakup Carlton thing going with a strat neck PU. Every bucker guitar I've owned with coil splitters has sounded very unconvincing in split mode.

These are just some of the reasons that I now play strats exclusively. I can get a strat to do anything I need it to. Plus there's a handful of sounds only strats can get.

Every bucker guitar I've owned with coil splitters has sounded very unconvincing in split mode.
That's because you're still stuck with that 500K volume pot. Switch a 500K resistor across it, and your split coils will sweeten right up.

Back
Top Bottom