Hum Problem Unlike Any I have Read About Others Having

Fieldly41

In the interest of not wasting anyone's time, I searched the internet to the best of my ability to answer my own question but unfortunately I was unsuccessful.

I am going from my Axe FX Standard to a JC-120 and I am getting this horrible hum.

The oddest part is that I get the hum when the Axe FX isn't even turned on (it also hums when it is powered on) and nothing is plugged in to any of the inputs.

When I unplug the power cable the hum instantly goes away. When I unplug the signal cable from the from the back of the Axe FX (that is connected to the JC-120 the hum instantly goes away (meaning that I have isolated that the hum is definitely coming from the Axe FX). I have the JC-120 and a Dual Rectifier and neither of these amps have any issue when plugged into the same outlets.

I have tried multiple outlets. I have tried moving the ground switch on the Axe FX. I have tried another power cables. I have tried using a power strip. I have tried going directly into the outlet.

If anybody has any idea as to what is going on here that would be great.

It may be that the power in my house is bad (however that wouldn't explain why the other two amps are not humming) because at my band's space this is never an issue.

Thank you in advance.

can still be a ground loop issue, can you try a di box with ground loop switch, try different cables, try different outlets from another room.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried all of those things and I'm still having an issue.

If anybody has any other ideas, I am all ears.

Thanks again.

Sounds like a ground loop. The ground-lift switch on the DI box won't do any good if you're running unbalanced. Humbuster cables won't help you, because Humbuster doesn't exist on the Standard.

Older JC-120s have a three-position power switch. If yours has that, try the other "On" position.

Otherwise, you'll have to get an isolation box.

From your description and as others have stated, it sounds like a grounding issue

Check if all power cables are going through the same path, this would eliminate the cause of most common grounding problems

If you still have a problem, something is broke, and you'll need a qualified sparky to take a look at your set up

Hi,

I agree it sounds like a ground loop but you have done most of what would fix that. One thing you haven't mentioned is the location of the axe in relation to the amp. Have you tried moving it away from the amp?

Pauly

In the interest of not wasting anyone's time, I searched the internet to the best of my ability to answer my own question but unfortunately I was unsuccessful.

I am going from my Axe FX Standard to a JC-120 and I am getting this horrible hum.

The oddest part is that I get the hum when the Axe FX isn't even turned on (it also hums when it is powered on) and nothing is plugged in to any of the inputs.

When I unplug the power cable the hum instantly goes away. When I unplug the signal cable from the from the back of the Axe FX (that is connected to the JC-120 the hum instantly goes away (meaning that I have isolated that the hum is definitely coming from the Axe FX). I have the JC-120 and a Dual Rectifier and neither of these amps have any issue when plugged into the same outlets.

I have tried multiple outlets. I have tried moving the ground switch on the Axe FX. I have tried another power cables. I have tried using a power strip. I have tried going directly into the outlet.

If anybody has any idea as to what is going on here that would be great.

It may be that the power in my house is bad (however that wouldn't explain why the other two amps are not humming) because at my band's space this is never an issue.

Thank you in advance.

I have tried multiple outlets.

From my understanding you have to get all the grounds going through the same circuit (each circuit has its own ground), though in his thoroughness, this was probably done early in the game

I personally think there is a problem in either the axe, or something else

You always have to be careful with grounding, if the house isn't grounded properly, and there is something wrong with your live equipment, it can kill you faster than an STD at a Justin Bieber concert

Simplify: Put your Axe and JC on a non-conducting surface (if the axe is in a rack, take it out). I use my bed. Plug them both into the SAME outlet (i.e. a two-plug standard wall outlet). Plug a cable from the Axe to the JC only - no guitar, no other cords. Turn them on medium volume. If, under those conditions, you have hum, and you turn the Axe off and it goes away, this should be a problem with the Axe internally. You could try a ground lifter on the Axe power cord just to see, you could also try a DI, but really, a cable out from the Axe to the JC, with no racks, and both powered up, should not normally cause this issue.

Back
Top Bottom