Huge improvement with 2 FRFR cabs instead of one?

romanianreaper

Power User
I'm a bedroom player and currently have a Friedman ASM-12 FRFR cab. I really enjoy sitting in front of it and playing but wonder if I'm missing an even better tone if I had two cabs. Have you guys noticed a big advantage having two cabs instead of one for stereo separation, etc. or is it a minor difference? Thanks for the input!

I've used a stereo rig since I started using rack gear back around 1989. I have two Friedman's and two CLR'S and have only heard them with one speaker when I shut one off to make sure they sounded the same and were balanced. Didn't sound good at all but my rig is not set to mono so that probably makes a difference.

I know some guys that favor stereo would run two sets of Cabs in a mono/mono configuration but that's usually in a live setting, which u said you don't do. Try both see what works in your setting. You may be surprised. If u do go true stereo with duel Cabs please post your results .

I play with two Yamaha DXR10s and the difference between stereo and mono (I started with one and soon bought another) is absolutely staggering. I too had the Friedman and have found that the Yamaha's in stereo has been the single biggest upgrade I've done for my sound.

Son of a.... Well, I guess I'll probably get another cab down the road. :) As heavy as the Friedman ASM-12 is, I love it so much I'll suffer the consequences and plan on getting another.

I tried running output 2 to an external power amp, and then into my Marshall 4x12 cabinet - in addition to my two powered studio monitors. The side-wash from the 4x12 created an amazing, immersive sound. I highly recommend it, but wait until the wife goes out shopping first.

It seems like everyone in this thread loves this mostly because of the stereo effects. Would you still notice THAT big of a difference if you did not use any effects at all?

It seems like everyone in this thread loves this mostly because of the stereo effects. Would you still notice THAT big of a difference if you did not use any effects at all?

that big of a difference or THAT big of a difference, or maybe TTTHHHAAATTT big of a difference :)? If you have two speakers and the ability to run stereo, could you make it sound almost the same as mono with one speaker? Possibly, but why would you? Why not try the Friedman BE with greenbacks hard panned left and v30s hard panned right. Does that sound better than mixing them both in the middle. I think so. Plus, with stereo you already bringing a backup speaker for your rig so you're instantly more professional! More is more! Go stereo!

Yes. Most of my presets are nothing fancy and not in stereo. Two FRFR cabinets still make it sound big and full regardless. So obviously, adding another speaker will add to a wider sound and fattens it up a bit.

I just had an interesting (to me at least) thought. I also play in stereo, and always have. 10-15 years ago I ran dual Marshals or Carvin V3's in stereo. Now I normally run dual CLR's, and a stereo IEM setup.

That said... on stage it doesn't work as well as I'd like, and lately I have run mono more and more often I just need the focus and clarity of a single cutting tone so I can hear what I'm doing above the band. (We have 7 members, and a lot happening, and it's pretty loud. We play decent clubs with tons of subs and bass rumble and all of that, and hearing clearly is always a challenge for me.) I've been stacking my CLR's like a backline amp and running everything down the center for maximum cut and punch to get through all of the voices, keys, bass, percussion and all of the noise on stage.

I also have to take care to make my sound kind of "half stereo". I pan some differences in, and do some delay work, but you have be be careful that people on one side or the other of the room can still hear what you are playing, so you can't go all out with the stereo effects live in a big club. (You can in a smaller club, that is somewhat narrow or deep where you bring your own PA and can control it better, but in wide places the sound just doesn't work out that well)

At home practicing, (being a bedroom player) stereo is SO much more enjoyable. I actually prefer headphones above all else in that environment. There is nothing like jamming to tracks or recording or learning songs in quality cans for me. I can hear details that I would never otherwise hear. Oh how I wish I could ever get that on stage...

Back
Top Bottom