Howzat By Sherbet

I always loved that sound.
I remember it caught my attention way back when it was a hit.

The solo, starting at 2:00, is double tracked. At least two completely different parts. Maybe they liked two different versions of the solo and kept both. For the rest it's mostly a pretty trebly amp. Lots of reverb, no delay or other effects to speak of. Try a Plexi1, dime the treble and the presence, cut back on the sag, depth and warmth. 4x12 20W cabs E609 mic. 3 second LG Plate reverb with the mix at 35%. Have at it with a strat bridge pickup. My guitar is pretty warm, you may need less treble. I started out with the Just.Pure.Plexi preset I believe of Axechange.
The parts of the solo are so much different. At the beginning they harmonize a third, then they go unison, then harmonize two notes, then it delays and it ends in a harmony again.
You can't copy it, maybe trick it with a harmonizer and a delay and a foot pedal set to morph between them in the middle.

The single notes preceding the solo and the ending sound like an envelope filter/touchwah.

The verse parts have a leslie/phaser type sound over a pretty warm clean amp. Maybe a Brownface. The 'rotary' in the Axe-FX gets pretty close on default settings. I wonder how he got those sounds live. They're worlds apart.

Fun, this.
I like that song.

Thanks for that I'll try it out .....and yeah not a bad song at all

Dutch said:
It's double tracked. At least two completely different parts. Maybe they liked two different versions of the solo and kept both. For the rest it's mostly a pretty trebly amp. Lots of reverb, no delay. Try a Plexi1, dime the treble and the presence, cut back on the sag, depth and warmth. 4x12 20W cabs. 3 second LG Plate reverb with the mix at 35%. Have at it with a strat bridge pickup.
The parts are so much different. At the beginning they harmonize a third, then they go unison, then harmonize two notes, then it delays and it ends in a harmony again.
You can't copy it, maybe trick it with a harmonizer and a delay and a foot pedal set to morph between them in the middle.

The single notes preceding the solo and the ending sound like an envelope filter/touchwah.

The verse parts have a leslie/phaser type sound. The 'rotary' in the Axe-FX gets pretty close on default settings.

Fun, this.
I like that song.

You're fast! I edited my post some. I often do that. Perfectionism and insecurity, not a good mix.

And............
Harvey James played with very light strings & a very, very light touch.
That's his old Strat through a Marshall & an Echo-Plex.
He also sometimes used a Univibe.

Back
Top Bottom