How to wire mig rig...

shotgunn

Fractal Fanatic
Normally I think of all this stuff on my own. However, my brain has been quite fried lately. I have drawn up four possible wiring schemes for my rig. See below...

I have 3 pieces of gear to interconnect in my rack. These must also interface with two other pieces of gear outside of my rack... FOH and my Atomic cabinets.

1. Axe FX II

2. Rane SM-28 (allows for independent stage volume adjustment from Out 1 Unbalanced) This is an 8 channel rack mounted line mixer with stereo inputs and a stereo FX send on each channel.

3. ART HeadAmp 6 (mainly for studio use, but I don't want to have to rewire stuff from stage to studio) Balanced XLR and TRS main inputs with balanced XLR and TRS thru outputs (i.e. paralled inputs). Also each channel has an Aux In for 'More Me'. Which in my live scenario would be 'More Them' since it would be accepting an Aux Mix from FOH.

RigLayout4.jpg

RigLayout3.jpg

RigLayout2.jpg

RigLayout1.jpg

Here is what I want...

For live use I want to be able to send my II's XLR out 1 to FOH. While my II's unblalanced out 1 goes into my SM-28 Input 8. That is the constant between all 4 rig drawings. This allows FOH to have a set volume form my II. Then the Master Volume on the SM-28 becomes my stage volume.

Here is where my options/needs are getting hazy... Do I take the Aux feed from FOH into my SM-28 Input 7? From there I could use the FX send and run that into the HeadAmp 6 Aux In for my channel? I guess since the inputs are paralleled to the outputs I shouldn't do it this way since I want the Aux feed to come out of my Atomics. BTW, I may also use headphones or IEM's in the future depending on the stage needs. If I use my Atomics I want the Aux mix coming through them. However, I can still take the Aux mix into Input 7 of the SM-28 and from there send the SM-28's main outputs into my Atomics. This will allow for my guitar sound and the Aux feed to play through my Atomics. I guess the HeadAmp 6 only comes into play if I want to use headphones or IEM's on stage and in the studio.

I may have answered my own question here. Any thoughts are welcome.

I can see the images. Are there supposed to be other links?

Are you using the FX loop? If not, you can use the Output 2 unbalanced 1/4" as well. One benefit of that is that you'd have another set of outputs with independent volume control.

I plan to use the FXL for my EHX Micro Synth. This is why I use the SM-28 in addition to being able to mix in other signals.

Hi thats my setup:

AxeFX Ultra Output 1 (XLR) -> FoH-Mixer -> FoH-Cab (and Stage-Aux for the other Bandmembers)
Output 2 (unbalanced 1/4) -> LD Systems ZM6 19" RackMixer (XLR)-> FoH-Mixer -> Back to Stage (only for my own Stage-Aux / Output2 Level I can set for myself)

That´s it :)

On very small Gig we use no Stage-Monitoring.
There I use a Crown Poweramp and LD Systems STINGER Series - 12" PA Speaker.

Any one of the 4 looks like it will work.. but.. seems to me the only real difference between them is how you feed FOH, where that AUX feed comes back in and where the Atomics get feed from. OK that's a lot LOL!

If it were me (as an FOH sound guy too) I'd go with # 3 as you want Axe feed going STRAIGHT to FOH via XLR's and have the AUX feed coming back into the Rane. Think that gives you more flexibility in giving you more you when needed!
It also takes the ART out of the equation for live use as you are also feeding the Atomics from the Rane. Don't even need to power up the ART :)

MY rule of thumb with audio signal chain(s) is to minimize the number of devices between start and end. The more you run it thru, the greater chance for inherent noise induction, ground loops, etc. and you want as low a noise floor as possible.
So I'd go with #3.

Last edited:
Thanx for your input!!! Great minds think alike. That is what I ended up doing last night. Now chew on this... I am looking for a better monitoring solution in the studio.

I run PT 9.0.6 and intend to use my II as my main interface if I can ever work out the bugs. I'd like to somehow use the HeadAmp 6 main inputs and the Aux In as a balance between the main mix and 'More Me'. The trouble is I hear myself direct from the II (I keep the armed track muted to avoid latency delay). I am having a hard time balancing my guitar sound with the mix and the click. If I turn my Amp block level down (if my guitar is too loud in the cans) this affects my recording level. I wish Cliff could implement a dedicated USB output level to disk control. Ideally this would be independent of level adjustments in the regular signal chain.

Any one of the 4 looks like it will work.. but.. seems to me the only real difference between them is how you feed FOH, where that AUX feed comes back in and where the Atomics get feed from. OK that's a lot LOL!

If it were me (as an FOH sound guy too) I'd go with # 3 as you want Axe feed going STRAIGHT to FOH via XLR's and have the AUX feed coming back into the Rane. Think that gives you more flexibility in giving you more you when needed!
It also takes the ART out of the equation for live use as you are also feeding the Atomics from the Rane. Don't even need to power up the ART :)

MY rule of thumb with audio signal chain(s) is to minimize the number of devices between start and end. The more you run it thru, the greater chance for inherent noise induction, ground loops, etc. and you want as low a noise floor as possible.
So I'd go with #3.

This kind of sux!!! I just solved some monitoring issues in Pro Tools. Now I think I don't even need the HeadAmp 6. Oh well, I might need it if I ever have a situation where I cannot use my Atomics. Should I keep it?

This kind of sux!!! I just solved some monitoring issues in Pro Tools. Now I think I don't even need the HeadAmp 6. Oh well, I might need it if I ever have a situation where I cannot use my Atomics. Should I keep it?
I have always had a headphone amp in my rig.. just not the one I generally use live. :)
Keep it... never know when you'll need it.

Back
Top Bottom