How to use Tonex software in FM3 loop?

Oh man. I can feel the latency from here, trying to use a software amp model in the loop of a digital modeler :D

I actually did this with my Quad Cortex when I had it briefly at launch, before I saw the light and bought the FM3 instead. It sounded okay, but the latency and gain staging didn't work for me; the latency made it feel a little disconnected (as modelers already have around 2-4ms of latency) and then gain staging meant I was never quite sure if my signal was too hot (or hot enough) at any given point on the path.

I bought the Tonex pedal. It should arrive today. I am not sure why I bought it really as I love the FM3 so much. My main thought was I have enjoyed Tonex software a lot and I will record those tones I like to add variety to tracks I record with the FM3. My second reason was I have an HX stomp and may make a pedal board with the Tonex in the HX stomp effects loop. As much as I love my FM3 I do not gig with it as it is in my studio and way too precious to me. So, I think the Tonex will come in handy, once I get it i will record with it and keep you guys posted.

I bought the Tonex pedal. It should arrive today. I am not sure why I bought it really as I love the FM3 so much. My main thought was I have enjoyed Tonex software a lot and I will record those tones I like to add variety to tracks I record with the FM3. My second reason was I have an HX stomp and may make a pedal board with the Tonex in the HX stomp effects loop. As much as I love my FM3 I do not gig with it as it is in my studio and way too precious to me. So, I think the Tonex will come in handy, once I get it i will record with it and keep you guys posted.
I got one a few days ago. I only used it for a few minutes and then DL'd the Tonex software to check out how the capturing process is.
I did a bunch of captures of my AF3. It does it very well. I had a Kemper several years ago (got replaced with the AF3) and so far, I think it does a more accurate job than the kemper. The kemper always had this added compression and some frequencies that were not right. I wouldn't say the Tonex is 100% accurate though. To me, I would say the kemper was about 85% accurate and the tonex is about 98% accurate. The difference I hear in the tonex captures is that it makes the sound just a tiny bit cleaner. By cleaner I mean background noise. You could say that is a good thing.
I could see guys with FM3s or even AF3s utilizing the Tonex pedal in their rigs.

Oh man. I can feel the latency from here, trying to use a software amp model in the loop of a digital modeler :D

I actually did this with my Quad Cortex when I had it briefly at launch, before I saw the light and bought the FM3 instead. It sounded okay, but the latency and gain staging didn't work for me; the latency made it feel a little disconnected (as modelers already have around 2-4ms of latency) and then gain staging meant I was never quite sure if my signal was too hot (or hot enough) at any given point on the path.

I will measure the FM3 later today but with a loaded axe 3 preset and tonex pedal in the loop, I saw 5-6ms TOTAL which is pretty damn good actually. Still less than a loaded QC preset.

I will measure the FM3 later today but with a loaded axe 3 preset and tonex pedal in the loop, I saw 5-6ms TOTAL which is pretty damn good actually. Still less than a loaded QC preset.
That's about what I'd expect. Each digital modeler has between 2 to 4... I misunderstood. I thought the post meant using the ToneX software (on a PC or Mac) in the loop. I'm sure the pedal is fine :) Disregard my comment above.

That's about what I'd expect. Each digital modeler has between 2 to 4... I misunderstood. I thought the post meant using the ToneX software (on a PC or Mac) in the loop. I'm sure the pedal is fine :) Disregard my comment above.

You right - pretty sure I misread. Also, what is that beauty in your profile picture

You right - pretty sure I misread. Also, what is that beauty in your profile picture
That, my friend, is my dream bass. It's the Yamaha RBX6JM John Myung signature bass in ruby red. It's what he used to play prior to signing with EBMM. I finally got my hands on one from a dude on Reverb about 6 months ago. Not only does it look great, it plays like a dream and sounds fucking massive! I love it to death. It's hard to see in the images, but it's got a very nice flame maple top (actually, I think it's a veneer, but I'm not sure).

Only problem is that it weighs a hundred pounds, but I can deal with that :)

(Disregard the old chair)

bass.jpg

That, my friend, is my dream bass. It's the Yamaha RBX6JM John Myung signature bass in ruby red. It's what he used to play prior to signing with EBMM. I finally got my hands on one from a dude on Reverb about 6 months ago. Not only does it look great, it plays like a dream and sounds fucking massive! I love it to death. It's hard to see in the images, but it's got a very nice flame maple top (actually, I think it's a veneer, but I'm not sure).

View attachment 116710

That looks amazing! And the inlay is just perfect there. I haven't seen one like that before! Plus I'm a sucker for gold

View attachment 116710
Yes, this caught my eye the minute I saw you changed your avatar. Really nice and unique instrument. I don’t think I paid attention to what Myung played before EBMM. Agree the inlay is very cool. Nice find.👍

Yes, this caught my eye the minute I saw you changed your avatar. Really nice and unique instrument. I don’t think I paid attention to what Myung played before EBMM. Agree the inlay is very cool. Nice find.👍
I have one of Petrucci's Picasso Ibanez guitars, too (JPM200; I have the green camo one), half a dozen of his newer ones (two signed), and 2 Korg Kronoses, the keyboard Jordan Rudess uses - I've been obsessed with Dream Theater for 25 years :D

Also, what's a LITTLE frustrating, is that the center of the infinity symbol is actually on the 13th fret! Like, what? There are still neck dots in the right place, and it really doesn't affect anything other than my OCD, but I found that interesting lol.

EDIT: I don't feel too bad about accidentally hjiacking this thread since there really wasn't much else that could be said; but OP, if you're still getting notifications about this, please let us know what you end up doing, how it all works together, and your thoughts on the tone and latency.

Based on the standard FM3 4CM setup my FM3 patch would look like this (this is across 2 lines)

In1 --> <whatever fx you want hitting the front of the amp> --> Out2
In2 --> <whatever fx you want hitting the loop of the amp --> Out1

Out2 hits the input of the ToneX Pedal, Output of ToneX pedal goes to In2 on the FM3

For my usage I would prefer the ToneX model not have a cab baked in so that I can start adding FX post Amp on line2 like delay / reverb and then finish it off with a cab block to simulate a traditional signal flow (Also the Cab block is insanely powerful and I like a bunch of features there so I'd prefer to use that where possible). But I think realistically even if the cab is baked into the ToneX model you'll probably be fine chucking reverb and delay in there anyway.

If you're all digital then Out1 will also feed the output to SPDIF which is awesome for a studio setup. Otherwise you just take OUT1 to the next step in your analog rig whether thats a powered FRFR/PA or a Poweramp thats going to go into a cab.

As a side note I run high gain stuff and having gates on In1 and In2 is 'mandatory' :D
Very exciting I’ll be able to incorporate tonex with my fractal devices ..thanks fir this info

Here is a Marshall DSL20HR into a Bogner 212 w/65 creambacks mic'd with a E609.
Gain on 4 and BMT & P around noon, give or take.
This was done on the "Fast" training mode.

Attachments

• DSL20HR Tonex Preset.zip
    14.3 KB · Views: 12
Based on the standard FM3 4CM setup my FM3 patch would look like this (this is across 2 lines)

In1 --> <whatever fx you want hitting the front of the amp> --> Out2
In2 --> <whatever fx you want hitting the loop of the amp --> Out1

Out2 hits the input of the ToneX Pedal, Output of ToneX pedal goes to In2 on the FM3

For my usage I would prefer the ToneX model not have a cab baked in so that I can start adding FX post Amp on line2 like delay / reverb and then finish it off with a cab block to simulate a traditional signal flow (Also the Cab block is insanely powerful and I like a bunch of features there so I'd prefer to use that where possible). But I think realistically even if the cab is baked into the ToneX model you'll probably be fine chucking reverb and delay in there anyway.

If you're all digital then Out1 will also feed the output to SPDIF which is awesome for a studio setup. Otherwise you just take OUT1 to the next step in your analog rig whether thats a powered FRFR/PA or a Poweramp thats going to go into a cab.

As a side note I run high gain stuff and having gates on In1 and In2 is 'mandatory' :D
Just ordered the pedal thanks for your input extremely helpful

I ended up cancelling my order as I A/Bd the FM3 and plugin more and felt it was unnecessary - but - BUT - in the words of Yngwie Malmsteen:

"More is more."
Oh to each his own (even though I might find something a bit silly), I think some of us read this stuff and sort of shake our heads. I personally found the title of this thread amusing, but that's just me.

And in the words of Steve Earle: "I ain't ever satisifed!" :D

Back
Top Bottom