How to use Pro Tools sessions created at 44.1

Jerry K.

Experienced
Is there a way to go back to Pro Tools sessions created at 44.1 and let the Axe 2 be the interface. Since the Axe is at 48k, when I try and open an older session, it says current interface is not compatible. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

These days, software is better at resampling than hardware (and external clocks, etc). Most DAWs have pretty competent SRCs implemented already.

Resampling aside, in audio situations 44.1 is highly prevalent.

Hardware limited to 48k is much more common in video gear, but how often will you be using an Axe II digitally into a video system?

Having audio hardware limited to 48k is highly unusual. I know older audio gear is sometime limited to 44.1 but newer stuff usually has the capability to choose between 44.1k and 48k (and higher) sample rates.

It's not a show stopper, but I do find it kind of odd.

New Session, Import Session Data. Depends on version of PT, "kits" owned, etc.

Import Session Data and Import Audio allow conversion.

As far as the 44.1k/48k debate...
Some have found 48k will *generally* be a decent compromise when considering (ultra) expensive converters versus pro/con-sumer grade converters + 24bit 88.2k/96k. Since (generally speaking) most audio will be converted during session work (input, plug-in use, summing, etc), and many/most processes are not simple "halving" operations (LCD, GCD, etc), plus with 24/48k (or 24/96k in some cases) being ready for higher resolution end product usages, I prefer to opt for 48k/96k. I would rather *degrade* going to 44.1k than do so to upsample. With an arguable *optimum* sample rate being somewhere in the 64k area (eg, as per Lavry papers and various debates/opinions), the slight edge 48k affords.. Personally, I applaud the choice of 48k over 44.1k.

Back
Top Bottom