How to use an H9 in the loop - but retain volume control?

Dealmaker

Inspired
Guys - so the way I currently have my AX8 set up - is that I send the Out 1 to FOH (and I can adjust the level of that using the Out 1 "Main" knob) - and I use Out 2 - to my own personal monitor - an RCF - on stage - so I can quickly adjust my on stage volume using Out 2 (FX send) .

I occasionally hit some CPU issues with certain patches I'd like to use/expand - so it would be good to use a spare H9 I have - and put that in the loop - to use as Reverb/shimmer - and some other effects - that I can maybe trigger with the Midi out??

However - I am struggling to see how I can put the H9 in the loop and maintain my independent control of on stage volume - as surely if I "turn up" my Out 2 - it will also increase the volume in the mix of everything in the loop will it not??

So how can I get the H9 into the loop and yet still maintain independent stage volume control?

Any ideas??!! Thanks!!!

@Dealmaker do you run stereo to FOH or your monitors?

@barhrecords - no (local sound guys would pass out if I suggested that!) - its Mono to FOH and mono to Monitor....

....however ....when we are running IEM's (which we do occasionally - we have our own IEM mixer rack -) then I do run stereo - but then I won't have an issue as I don't use the Out 2 when we are running IEM's......

@barhrecords - no (local sound guys would pass out if I suggested that!) - its Mono to FOH and mono to Monitor....

....however ....when we are running IEM's (which we do occasionally - we have our own IEM mixer rack -) then I do run stereo - but then I won't have an issue as I don't use the Out 2 when we are running IEM's......

You could use a mini mixer or just an attenuator on half of output 1.

With an attenuator, the idea is to back the attenuator down to half or so, then set your monitor volume. This gives you both "up" and "down" volume capability using only a cut (attenuation).

This one has great audio quality

http://www.adesignsaudio.com/atty-stereo-attenuator.htm

I would be curious as well... Also have an H9 but have yet to use it with the AX8 and also hope to get some advice...

Is it safe to assume you are not using the expression jack on the H9 for volume control?
I do that on my backup rig using the output of my FlyRig 5 into the H9 and then out in stereo. (have to learn the H9 on something..)

In case you haven't tried that, be aware that the expression volume control only works when the H9 is active. Don't know why. Also disables all expression settings if set globally. You can see that as a message on the expression strip when viewed on the iPad app.

Another feature on the H9 I would like to implement when connected to the AX8 would be the 4CM where each preset of the H9 can be set as "pre" or "post" depending where it is sent on the blocks. How would that be mapped? Say I want a effect block before the amp but on one preset, I would prefer to have the H9 effect sent after? Would it affect output to FOH?

Don't know if I should set up a separate thread for it but discussion on H9 on AX8 looks like a good place to start. Have had the AX8 over a year now but the H9 for a month so still a newbie. Just looks to be a great merger of outstanding pedal connected in line with another. I see artists like Zappa using 2 H9s but figure in end state, the AX8 and H9 will more than suffice. Just gotta find that magic setup and modify my presets to work it.

Another feature on the H9 I would like to implement when connected to the AX8 would be the 4CM where each preset of the H9 can be set as "pre" or "post" depending where it is sent on the blocks. How would that be mapped? Say I want a effect block before the amp but on one preset, I would prefer to have the H9 effect sent after? Would it affect output to FOH?

In that situation put the H9 in the AX8 fx loop and put the FX loop block wherever you want it in the grid in each preset. No need for pre/post

Back
Top Bottom