How to set up 2 recording mics on the axe?

huh?

The Axe-Fx is not a recording device. It also hasn't got mic preamps.
You can however use it as an effects device during or after recording.

First buy a Presonus audiobox, plug it into your computer then plug mics into the audiobox and record. :)

huh?

The Axe-Fx is not a recording device. It also hasn't got mic preamps.
You can however use it as an effects device during or after recording.

Actually it is a recording device (w/ USB and a DAW program), it just doesn't have mic preamps.

It records line and guitar level signals quite well. It even has 2 inputs from the USB that record the signal w/o going through the Axe-fx effects grid.

All the axe-fx need to record a stereo pair of mics is a stereo mic preamp into input 1 and 2 and the inputs set to stereo.

Actually it is a recording device (w/ USB and a DAW program), it just doesn't have mic preamps.

It records line and guitar level signals quite well. It even has 2 inputs from the USB that record the signal w/o going through the Axe-fx effects grid.

All the axe-fx need to record a stereo pair of mics is a stereo mic preamp into input 1 and 2 and the inputs set to stereo.

Where are the wav files stored within the Axe when using it as a recording device? Now I think you know what Yek meant.

Where are the wav files stored within the Axe when using it as a recording device? Now I think you know what Yek meant.

I don't think that is what the original poster meant. I think the OP meant how do I set up the Axe-fx so it can be used as a recording interface. The original poster never said "recording device". He said how can I set up the Axe-fx to record piano. Answer... You can use the Axe-fx as a recording interface with a computer.

Now I think you know what the Original Poster meant. :)

But... it can be stored in the loop block ;).... Until you turn off the Axe-fx

I don't think that is what the original poster meant. I think the OP meant how do I set up the Axe-fx so it can be used as a recording interface. The original poster never said "recording device". He said how can I set up the Axe-fx to record piano. Answer... You can use the Axe-fx as a recording interface with a computer.

This is what I meant. I have an acoustic piano that I want to record a few pieces so the axe will be the interface. I want to connect two microphones>axe fx>computer>protools.

Can the microphone to axe happen with xlr to 1/4" cables?

This is what I meant. I have an acoustic piano that I want to record a few pieces so the axe will be the interface. I want to connect two microphones>axe fx>computer>protools.

You really need a mic preamp before the Axe-fx input. so 2 mics - 2 mic pres or stereo mic pre - Axe-fx input 1 l and r- computer- protools

I use it just like that. 0,1 from usb with the process from the axe and the dry signal from 2,3 usb either through a plug in or straight in to a channel. I use a tube pre for mic's. Sounds/records great.

Technically yes, but you won't get very good sound quality. The inputs on the Axe II are high impedance (1 MegaOhm or 1,000,000 Ohms) Most microphones have an output impedance of around 300 ohms (guitar pickups range from about 5,000 to 15,000 ohms by comparison). While you won't get any frequency loss plugging straight into the Axe II, the signal level from the microphone will be very low. As a result you'd have to turn the input level up very high on the axe to make up the difference and that will boost the noise level up very high as well. There also may not be enough input gain available on the AXE to make the wimpy mic signal loud enough to get a decent recording. You can use a low-Z to hi-Z adapter like this ( Audio-Technica CP8201 - Low to High Impedance Transformer CP8201 ) to help boost the input signal going into the Axe, but depending on the mic level and how loud a sound you are recording, you still may not have the right level. A mixer or mic-preamp will give you the adjustable gain to get the proper signal strength going into the Axe. They also have inputs that are specifically designed for microphones and will give you a much cleaner signal with less noise too.

No, but the common recommendation is to use one with the Axe-Fx.
So if gets one, he might as well get one with USB...

Any advice on the matter and how to set up the axe to record the piano?

I believe in using the right tools for the job. You are wanting to record the full range of notes on an acoustic piano with only 2 mics, you may find that your coverage will be inadequate. What type of mics are you using? Do they require fantom power? If so, the AxeFX does not provide this. It can be used as an interface under certain circumstances however, I recommend buying a dedicated interface that can not only accommodate 4 or more inputs, but provides phantom power, and the proper input levels your DAW needs. You may consider using the effects from your DAW rather than those of an external piece of gear (your AxeFX). In addition, a multichannel interface will give you the flexibility to split the mics up on separate tracks to be processed individually. (just a thought) Let the AxeFX do what it was designed to do…Be the best damn piece of guitar gear ever made!

No, but the common recommendation is to use one with the Axe-Fx.
So if gets one, he might as well get one with USB...

Ones with out USB are far more common and you can borrow from a friend (especially if you can borrow a nice one). You also also have the ability to add effects from the axe-fx during recording. Maybe you don't want to install yet another USB driver. I could think of a number of reasons. Maybe he just wants to experiment.

Would I do it that way? no.

Can it be done and done reasonably well? Yes.

Reactions: yek

That can work.

The problem is going to be your microphone choices.

Typically a piano is mic'ed with condenser microphones that require phantom power. In that case you need either a stand alone phantom power supply or mic preamps that have phantom power.

What mic's were you thinking of using? If it's a very bright piano, you might could get by with two Sennheiser MD421's and forgoe the phantom power and preamps. You will loose some of the high transients with a dynamic mic though. If you want that airy smooth top end I'm afraid ribbons or condenser microphones might be best.

Back
Top Bottom