How to send simple patch changes via FC-300 patch mode?

LanceZ

Inspired
I'd appreciate some words of wisdom from anyone who is using the Roland FC-300 with the Axe-Fx, and using "patch mode" to successfully send patch changes to the Axe-Fx. I've had zero success.

Simple: I want to select Axe-Fx patch 212 by pressing FC-300 "patch mode" patch P.001 with my foot. I want to select some other Axe-Fx patch by pressing FC-300 patch P.002, etc.

Here's what I tried:
* I edited a "MIDI stream" in patch mode
* where message 01 was CC#0 (Bank Select Course) value #001 (Bank B)
* and message 02 was CC#32 (Bank Select Fine) value #044 (patch 212)
* Then I followed the instructions on FC-300 manual page 44 for saving this to a patch (P.001).
* After this, when I select away from then back to P.001 on the FC-300, nothing happens on the Axe-Fx.
* When I switch the FC-300 back to Standard Mode, it changes patches 1-128 no problem.

I'm really frustrated. :evil: Any help is super greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lance

I don't have a Roland FC-300 to test with, but if you're a Windows user, you might try MIDI-OX. You could use MIDI-OX to simulate the FC-300, and construct a MIDI message that does exactly what you want to do. At a minimum, you'll probably want to send a command to change the active bank from 00 to 01 (Patch "212" is in Bank "B" on the Axe-Fx), then a command to change patch to 84 (212 minus 128).

LanceZ said:
I'd appreciate some words of wisdom from anyone who is using the Roland FC-300 with the Axe-Fx, and using "patch mode" to successfully send patch changes to the Axe-Fx. I've had zero success.

Simple: I want to select Axe-Fx patch 212 by pressing FC-300 "patch mode" patch P.001 with my foot. I want to select some other Axe-Fx patch by pressing FC-300 patch P.002, etc.

Here's what I tried:
* I edited a "MIDI stream" in patch mode
* where message 01 was CC#0 (Bank Select Course) value #001 (Bank B)
* and message 02 was CC#32 (Bank Select Fine) value #044 (patch 212)
* Then I followed the instructions on FC-300 manual page 44 for saving this to a patch (P.001).
* After this, when I select away from then back to P.001 on the FC-300, nothing happens on the Axe-Fx.
* When I switch the FC-300 back to Standard Mode, it changes patches 1-128 no problem.

I'm really frustrated. :evil: Any help is super greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lance

The bank select part looks right but the next message you need to send is a program change message not a control change.

javajunkie said:
The bank select part looks right but the next message you need to send is a program change message not a control change.

JavaJunkie -- Thanks for responding. Turns out that last night -- after my head hit the pillow and I wasn't thinking about this any longer -- it hit me: send the PC change after the bank selection. That second CC message I sending was nonsense to the Axe-Fx. My tired brain was over-complicating things.

So, it looks like this (as you know):
Msg 01 CC# 00 Value# 001 (i.e., Bank B)
Msg 02 PC# Value# 084 (i.e., 84th patch of bank B, which is really 212 in the Axe-Fx)
Store in P.001
Works like magic.

BTW, I'm a Java person too. Doing Spring/Hibernate voodoo right now, and was doing deep GWT before that.

Lance

xrist04 said:
I don't have a Roland FC-300 to test with, but if you're a Windows user, you might try MIDI-OX. You could use MIDI-OX to simulate the FC-300, and construct a MIDI message that does exactly what you want to do. At a minimum, you'll probably want to send a command to change the active bank from 00 to 01 (Patch "212" is in Bank "B" on the Axe-Fx), then a command to change patch to 84 (212 minus 128).

xrist04 -- Thanks man, I really appreciate your reply. Yeah, I had it figured out as soon as my head hit the pillow last night, when it was no longer on my mind. I verified this morning, but I didn't have time to post an "I figured it out" on here because I had to get out the door.

Lance

LanceZ said:
javajunkie said:

JavaJunkie -- Thanks for responding. Turns out that last night -- after my head hit the pillow and I wasn't thinking about this any longer -- it hit me: send the PC change after the bank selection. That second CC message I sending was nonsense to the Axe-Fx. My tired brain was over-complicating things.

So, it looks like this (as you know):
Msg 01 CC# 00 Value# 001 (i.e., Bank B)
Msg 02 PC# Value# 084 (i.e., 84th patch of bank B, which is really 212 in the Axe-Fx)
Store in P.001
Works like magic.

BTW, I'm a Java person too. Doing Spring/Hibernate voodoo right now, and was doing deep GWT before that.

Lance

Glad you figured it out. I'm the other kind of Java Junkie. My programming skills are limited to admin scripts :)

Back
Top Bottom