How to route cab?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Trying running to PA for 1st time. I know to place an effects loop then cabinet....but....which cab setting do I put it on? Mono Hires, Mono Lores, or Stereo? I run my poweramp in stereo and will be running it on stage still and running xlr's out of back to PA versus micing in stereo now.

Tremonti said:
Trying running to PA for 1st time. I know to place an effects loop then cabinet....but....which cab setting do I put it on? Mono Hires, Mono Lores, or Stereo? I run my poweramp in stereo and will be running it on stage still and running xlr's out of back to PA versus micing in stereo now.

If you want a stereo out, use the stereo cab or split the signal to 2 mono cabs (panned l and r).

Ok....routed output 1 with effects loop then cab.....off the effects loop I made a line diagonal to output 2.

Normally I used output 1 as the feed to my power amp/cab....now I use output 2.

I turned the global cabinet on. Poweramp sims were always on.

Should I not copy output 1 to 2 in the I/O menu?

Basically I want to know what to do to have output 2 have the same sound it did before when running to my amp/cab from output 1......am I missing something or am I cool?

Tremonti said:
Ok....routed output 1 with effects loop then cab.....off the effects loop I made a line diagonal to output 2.

Normally I used output 1 as the feed to my power amp/cab....now I use output 2.

I turned the global cabinet on. Poweramp sims were always on.

Should I not copy output 1 to 2 in the I/O menu?

Basically I want to know what to do to have output 2 have the same sound it did before when running to my amp/cab from output 1......am I missing something or am I cool?

copy 1 to 2 doesn't work when using the fx loop. If it did it would include the cab blocks which you don't want. As long as all your effect are before the fx loop (other than the cabs), it sound like you a doing it correctly.

Then why are some patches lower in volume now? Not all...just some....I have the input and output knobs on front the same. Please help fast as I have practice tonight!!!

I think you have to turn Out 2 up by 6 dB (using FXL's first page controls or Out 2's global EQ gain) to get the same level you previously had with Out 1. Check the output mixer in the layout menu too. If the row or main level was set differently in some presets you'll have level differences at Out 2 because those settings no longer have an effect.

Bakerman said:
I think you have to turn Out 2 up by 6 dB (using FXL's first page controls or Out 2's global EQ gain) to get the same level you previously had with Out 1. Check the output mixer in the layout menu too. If the row or main level was set differently in some presets you'll have level differences at Out 2 because those settings no longer have an effect.

But it's not every patch that is lower in volume...just some....and they sound different too???? I'm pissed.....had to revert every patch back to output 1 last night before practice after spending an hour setting it up to the other output. What can I do????

Well they are going to sound different if you run one to poweramp and cab and one to the house (if you are not using a full range neutral poweramp and cab). The cab block IR probably doesn't sound the same as your cab. You are also running poweramp sim into a real poweramp while the other signal does not get that.

Volume differences could be because of having the drive turned up on the cab blocks. I can't tell w/o seeing the patches.

If you are trying to run stereo effects and using a mono cab that could cause some issues as well.

javajunkie said:
Well they are going to sound different if you run one to poweramp and cab and one to the house (if you are not using a full range neutral poweramp and cab). The cab block IR probably doesn't sound the same as your cab. You are also running poweramp sim into a real poweramp while the other signal does not get that.

Volume differences could be because of having the drive turned up on the cab blocks. I can't tell w/o seeing the patches.

If you are trying to run stereo effects and using a mono cab that could cause some issues as well.

You don't understand...I haven't even plugged output 1 to PA yet .....I routed as explained and tried to use output 2 as I did with output 1 before with poweramp......nothing should have changed sound wise, but it has.

Tremonti said:
javajunkie said:

You don't understand...I haven't even plugged output 1 to PA yet .....I routed as explained and tried to use output 2 as I did with output 1 before with poweramp......nothing should have changed sound wise, but it has.

Post your patch that you are having a problem w/

Do you have output 2 set to stereo?

javajunkie said:
Tremonti said:
javajunkie said:

Post your patch that you are having a problem w/

Do you have output 2 set to stereo?

I don't have the AXE FX here at house.....yes I have output 2 set to stereo.

I am baffled as this is the only thing keeping me from using direct to PA and my poweramp/cabinet. So frustrated....any help guys would be appreciated.

Tremonti said:
But it's not every patch that is lower in volume...just some....and they sound different too

Did you check the output mixer settings? Last page of the layout menu, see if everything is zeroed for a couple presets that had a level difference through output 2. If one preset had a level boost there and you left FXL zeroed in each preset, the one that had a boost through output 1 will be quieter through output 2.

Bakerman said:
Tremonti said:
But it's not every patch that is lower in volume...just some....and they sound different too

Did you check the output mixer settings? Last page of the layout menu, see if everything is zeroed for a couple presets that had a level difference through output 2. If one preset had a level boost there and you left FXL zeroed in each preset, the one that had a boost through output 1 will be quieter through output 2.

I will look today when I go by studio....but I have never touched the output mixer EVER....so I would highly doubt that was it

It's not the output mixer in the layout. No one else has tried to do what I do and had issues arise?? I mean it should be the same thing, just using different outs???!!! :oops:

Maybe you haven't routed things correctly. I wondered about this:

Tremonti said:

What is "output 2" referring to? The FXL block itself is output 2; whatever you send to it comes out of output 2.

Also, forget the 6 dB boost I mentioned earlier for matching out 2's level to out 1. Cliff said something a few firmwares ago about 0 dB in the FXL really being like -6 (or maybe it was -3 or -10) but now I'm not sure what that referred to or if it's still true, because both outs clip at the same level with everything zeroed.

Bakerman said:
Maybe you haven't routed things correctly. I wondered about this:

Tremonti said:

What is "output 2" referring to? The FXL block itself is output 2; whatever you send to it comes out of output 2.

Also, forget the 6 dB boost I mentioned earlier for matching out 2's level to out 1. Cliff said something a few firmwares ago about 0 dB in the FXL really being like -6 (or maybe it was -3 or -10) but now I'm not sure what that referred to or if it's still true, because both outs clip at the same level with everything zeroed.

He elaborated a while back and stated both input 1 and input 2 are padded -6db. However (as you know), the XLR balanced outs will give you a 6db louder signal than the 1/4" unbalanced outs.

So once I put the FX block in before the cabinet I don't need to run a diagonal line off the FX block up and out the line above?

Tremonti said:
So once I put the FX block in before the cabinet I don't need to run a diagonal line off the FX block up and out the line above?

no, just something like ---drv--amp--delay-reverb-fx loop-cab--shunt to output.

Sorry when you said you routed the signal diagonally, I though you meant you split the signal diagonally to the fx loop block. I misunderstood you there.

Back
Top Bottom