How to rip off the nasal honkyness from the bridge puppyes

GuttaLaser

Power User
don't misunderstand me... not a issue with the Axe! At all!
just a more "mature" and advanced approach to THE BEAST carving out the tone i want!

And... don't go with the easy way (PEQ and EQ block or General EQ) 'coz in my philosophy... I tend to use equalization to correct the monitoring system... not the "source sound".

I'm talking about that mid-hype honkyness that come from the bridge pickups (no matter if hi-output, low-output, humbuckers o single coil) that i can hear with many monitoring systems (KRK V8 studio monitors or a PA etc...).

I'm talking about "fattening" the sound of the bridge pickups and I'm thinking about some amps and or cabs deep parametres... if exist!

TNX

ok... ok... not so easy!
I ear that honkyness with very very gooooood sounding guitars and puppyes!
Fender Stratocaster with SD SSL5 single coil in the bridge
Charvel Bumblebee with a custom SD "Model '78" humbucker
Ibanez Jem 777 with humbucker Di Marzio
Epiphone Les Paul Custom with SD Seth Lover

very differnt guitars an pups!

not a guitar prob... not a pup prob...

so what?

New pickups.

Change the resistance of the circuit to shift the resonant peak around.

Use the EQ provided to shape the voicing at will.

Difficulty varies on a case by case basis.

I like lowering not raising the resonance peak in strat pups... ala Suhr VLP's.

OP, you hear identical honky midrange in your studio and from a live PA wedge system?

How about putting an eq before and after the amp block, reducing lows or lower mids before tue amp and adding them again after it?
Another interesting way to tune the lows is to add a graphic eq and pulling down one slider and pushing up the next slider in the lows...that's good when the wrong frequencies are boomy.

Yep Barhrecords... different systems ... and again: the prob aren't the puppyes (4 very different pups in very different guitars!)

and... for those who are writing "change your ears" I want to say that those pups sounds great with my HIWATT SA212 Custom 50 combo!

So... maybe... i really need to EQ the Machine!

Yep Barhrecords... different systems ... and again: the prob aren't the puppyes (4 very different pups in very different guitars!)

and... for those who are writing "change your ears" I want to say that those pups sounds great with my HIWATT SA212 Custom 50 combo!

If you trust your guitars, cabling and your monitor / playback systems... I'm guessing it's something in the programming of all your AxeFx II presets? (or a global setting gone tits up... this happens from time to time on firmware upgrades)

I want to say that those pups sounds great with my HIWATT SA212 Custom 50 combo!
I kinda wonder what the frequency response of your combo is. It could well be that the combo just reproduces less of the frequency you find obnoxious. Have you thought about trying to Tone Match the combo or even shoot an IR of the speaker/Power Amp section?
Sure. If a PEQ is the tool that gets you the sound you want, I wouldn't resist it.

ok... ok... not so easy!
I ear that honkyness with very very gooooood sounding guitars and puppyes!
Fender Stratocaster with SD SSL5 single coil in the bridge
Charvel Bumblebee with a custom SD "Model '78" humbucker
Ibanez Jem 777 with humbucker Di Marzio
Epiphone Les Paul Custom with SD Seth Lover

very differnt guitars an pups!

not a guitar prob... not a pup prob...

so what?

None of those pickups you list are really considered to be low or vintage output.

The SSL-5 is an overwound Strat pickup for people who find a vintage output Strat pickup too thin.

The SD Model 78 is described as a low output humbucker but that's only in relation to a high output humbucker, not a vintage output humbucker.

The Dimarzio in the JEM is probabnly also a hi-output humbucker designed for hi-gain playing.

The Seth Lover is the closest you've got to a vintage output pickup.
But even it, the bridge version, is slightly over-wound and hotter than the neck version of the same pickup.

These days, companies like Dimarzio and Duncan just assume that all the hot shot young guitar players want a bridge pickup that overdrives more smoothly than a vintage output pickup so they recommend sets of pickups with over-wound bridge pickups in them.

Try an SSL-1 instead of the SSL-5.
Try an SH-1 (neck version) instead of the Model 78.
Try anything else in the JEM.
Try a Seth Lover neck pickup in the bridge instead of the hotter Seth Lover bridge pickup.
If any of the suggested humbuckers still sound too fat and mid-rangey to you then try a Duncan Jazz humbucker.
It's one of the thinnest sounding they make.

You might also check to the value of your pots.
E.g. 250k (or 300k like Gibson sometimes uses with their humbuckers) pots with humbuckers will make the humbuckers sound muddy.

Get the Ownhammer ir's. I've found a lot of others to be too mid-heavy, even though that can sound better in a mix usually.

Back
Top Bottom