How to reduce pick attack noise in 5.0?

L

luke

While I like 5.0 a lot, I find that I have far more pick attack noise coming through now than previously. Any ideas on how to tame it?

Pick lighter..? Or sometimes using the compressor with the look ahead set higher will negate some the pick noise.

You could Q out the appropriate portion of the Hi Freq ResohWAIT, you can't do that 5.0!

Look at us. We're the only two people complaining about 5.0. I haven't even updated yet! I love pick attack though. Although sometimes its not always best depending on the musical context.

You could try a comp before the amp with the attack set very fast.

Look at us. We're the only two people complaining about 5.0. I haven't even updated yet! I love pick attack though. Although sometimes its not always best depending on the musical context.

You could try a comp before the amp with the attack set very fast.

:lol Yeah, I know.

THIS IS DYNAMICS - IT IS GOOD - HANG IN THERE WITH IT

Pick attack is not an artifact. It is a part of how you are playing. The answer lies in your hands, not the AXE-FX II. Good tube amps are the same way. The better the amp is, this less it will hide and the better your technique will need to become.. As these amps get more perfect, so will their ability to reproduce. MUUDROCK has the right answer. If you q- it out, the q'ing will take favorable frequencies along with it. There is not "knob" for your hand dynamics.
You just need to fine tune how you are attacking, making contact and your dynamics. This will make you a better player. Honestly, dynamics are the most important part of your playing. (unless you are using gear that doesn't respond dynamically). IMHO

Try using a thick pick (if you haven't already). A long time ago I switched from Fender medium and heavy to a Dunlop 208. All the attack artifacts I was historically unhappy with instantly disappeared. My tone/texture/shape instantly expanded/organic'd.

Also, the more flexion a pick has the more precise control we lose over the dynamics and nuances of our expressions. All sorts of weird neurological compensations get built in to our playing to compensate for the bend and slap of a wiggly pick. I'm not trying to expound some "right way". Just food for thought/trial/experiment.

While I understand it may not be desirable in all situations, the "kah" sound a pick can make is one of the things that has been missing for me with the Axe.

His problem is that there's more picking noise with this firmware, and you're telling the guy to change his picking technique?

There's a lot of high end produced from the clipping on distorted sounds...so like Radley says, try to find a way to reduce the high end before it gets saturated. I don't have an Axe-Fx yet, so I don't know what kind of parameters you can modify, or what might have changed in this firmware.

Tube amps can be quite different in this regard, and I don't fancy too much of that trebly attack myself either. Woody attack for me!

The better the amp, the more revealing it is about your playing. Use it to help you learn to become a better player. Try to remove it later.

This is of course unless you're talking about something else entirely -- i updated but havent had time to sit down with it yet. Tonight!!

Back
Top Bottom