How to reduce buzzy crunch tones

caballero59

Inspired
Really can't say enough good about this device but I've noticed that my crunch and metal tones are amazing though the Sony HD25-1 II phones but seem buzzy though the JBL 305P's studio monitors as well as the RCF 310a FRFR speakers. Where should I start looking? I already have the high cut on the cabs backed off to 7k or so and that doesn't seem to address the problem at all.

Really can't say enough good about this device but I've noticed that my crunch and metal tones are amazing though the Sony HD25-1 II phones but seem buzzy though the JBL 305P's studio monitors as well as the RCF 310a FRFR speakers. Where should I start looking? I already have the high cut on the cabs backed off to 7k or so and that doesn't seem to address the problem at all.

Put a real time analyzer block before your output block and see if you can identify the offending frequencies. Can use an EQ block before that to tame them.

What Amp model? Some of them have some fuzzyness/crackle, depending on the settings, just like the real amps that they model.

Using the Atomica and 5150. I don't think these are known for being buzzy. They sound fantastic through my headphones but not so much the monitors. Is there a specific frequency range known to be associated with the bees in a can sound that I can trim with a parametric?

Stock presets? Poweramp, and Cab modeling turned on?

Try lowering the 'High Cut' till you hear what you are looking for. Use your ears, not your eyes. Values down below 4500 Hz aren't unheard of. It will depend on the Amp settings, and the IR.

Input Trim too high can do it.
Wrong IR can do it. Get as close to the tone as you can using Manage Cabs before you tweak amp EQ
Get the tone you'd like with the bright switch off. Or mess with the bright cap values.

A couple of amp settings may also tame it. Under ideal try adjusting the bright cap value, if used of course. Under preamp try lowering the triode 2 plate freq. I would start with EQ though. Either an eq block or the output eq in the amp block. It may also be that the tweeters in your monitors are a bit brittle sounding for you or your rooms acoustics.

Someone suggest providing the preset I use for metal and I think that's a great idea. I'm pretty humble about this so all suggestions will be considered. Thank you.

Attachments

• FM3-Metal.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 5
What amp? What IR?

never mind I see you mentioned the atomica. Check out Leon Todd’s videos on YouTube he uses the atomica a lot.

Last edited:
Make sure you utilize the high cut when using full range speakers. Guitar speakers typically reproduce around 70Hz to 6kHz. I find I like low cuts near a 100hz and sometimes on some presets I take the high cut down to 3500-4000hz

Make sure you utilize the high cut when using full range speakers. Guitar speakers typically reproduce around 70Hz to 6kHz. I find I like low cuts near a 100hz and sometimes on some presets I take the high cut down to 3500-4000hz
I get the full-range frequency response compared to a guitar speaker but doesn't the IR take care of that?

I get the full-range frequency response compared to a guitar speaker but doesn't the IR take care of that?
The mics are picking up the effects of the room as well , sounds that the cab makes, there are reflections bouncing off of stuff and etc is my guess. Another thing is probably what the mic hears is not what is actually being reproduced from the guitar amp , but just what that mic is able to represent.

Stock presets? Poweramp, and Cab modeling turned on?

Try lowering the 'High Cut' till you hear what you are looking for. Use your ears, not your eyes. Values down below 4500 Hz aren't unheard of. It will depend on the Amp settings, and the IR.
I was experimenting with this too. I was hearing some high end staticy fuzzy sound on the plexi amp in my headphones. Probably would never hear it in real speakers. I tested with the CAB block high cut at around 10000 Hz and it went away without affecting tone too much. I ended up deleting the high cut though because I wanted to hear it through FRFR to see if it persisted

Some high gain stuff just has some extra nastiness in the high end, but it’s even there on professional recordings that were done with real amps. Go check out some of John Petrucci’s isolated tracks, I was listening to them a couple weeks ago and noticed the exact same frequencies popping out that I generally try to kill with a PEQ.

Pre-Cygnus, I used to put a PEQ after every cab block to tame 3K-4K, that’s always where I’d hear the offending frequencies. It’s tricky to not spread it too far and drop too much out, but there’s some sweet spots. I’ve gotten rid of almost all of them post-Cygnus, but I still keep it on some. There’s also the multi-band compressor that can help tame things without cutting too much out, you get a little more control with the MBC. Leon’s got a video for that, too!

Also to consider, while it might be annoying to play by yourself and hear those, in a mix, they’re sometimes the one thing really making the guitar pop out on it’s own.

Back
Top Bottom