How to properly start and shut down the Axe-Fx 3?

The III has the “soft” boot-up so there are no “pops” when it powers up.

I used to turn my monitors and/or CLR’s on last, first off, when cutting the power to the II, or else I’d get that “pop” sound, but with the III, it loads up and there isn’t any “pop” etc from the monitors.

I actually just tend to leave them on all the time now. Nice improvement over the II
True... It was actually a more general recommendation.

Wish List:

Add Standby and Power switches to the amp block, controllable w/ footswitch, so we don't have to walk over to the AFX III.

.....just kidding.... :p

I was thinking I should plug mine into a z-wave outlet and setup automations to turn it off and on depending on if I'm home or not, and then certain hours of the day when I should be working and sleeping ;)

It’s funny you mention this as it’s pretty much exactly how I power mine on! Have my studio/office room door rigged with a open/close peq sensor that turns just the lights in the room on when it’s opened & I’m not home, and the lights & a z-wave outlet when I am home and the door opens. The outlet turns on a Furman powering both the axe-fx III & a pair of CLR monitors.

It’s funny you mention this as it’s pretty much exactly how I power mine on! Have my studio/office room door rigged with a open/close peq sensor that turns just the lights in the room on when it’s opened & I’m not home, and the lights & a z-wave outlet when I am home and the door opens. The outlet turns on a Furman powering both the axe-fx III & a pair of CLR monitors.

Sweet! I’m really digging the home automation stuff. So much you can do. The house starts running itself after a while.

I just turn mine on via the switch on the front. Though I do wait a few moments for the tubes to warm up before I play.

The III has the “soft” boot-up so there are no “pops” when it powers up.

I used to turn my monitors and/or CLR’s on last, first off, when cutting the power to the II, or else I’d get that “pop” sound, but with the III, it loads up and there isn’t any “pop” etc from the monitors.

I actually just tend to leave them on all the time now. Nice improvement over the II

Just to verify - does this mean that I can leave the Axe and monitor switches on and power it all up with one flick of the Furman power switch? This would clean up some of the cord chaos!

Just to verify - does this mean that I can leave the Axe and monitor switches on and power it all up with one flick of the Furman power switch? This would clean up some of the cord chaos!
the Axe can handle this. check with your monitor manufacturer to see if they allow it. from experience, i know some powered speakers do not like being shut off by power switch, and develop a pop or other bad noise over time due to it.

i personally don't understand keeping speakers on 24/7. a computer, sure.

one day i tried the "leave the speakers on all the time" thing. i left the house for work, and later got a call from the land lord that a crazy loud sound was coming from my room. i rushed home and by chance that day, one of the speaker power amps went bad and the loudest possible sound that could come from the speakers had been happening for almost an hour. it was probably 110 dB at least. i felt so embarrassed.

i sent the speaker in for repair and they said the power amp failed and had to be replaced.

so anything that can make sound on its own, i turn off. i mean, it has power switches :) i also turn off my Fractal gear because it makes no sense for them to be on and not used for 23 hours, and used only for an hour or whatever i can do that day. all that just so i don't have to wait 10 seconds when i want to play to turn things on? again, that's just not for me and my situation. picking up the guitar and plugging in the cable takes that 10 seconds and it's all ready to go by then.

i personally don't understand keeping speakers on 24/7. a computer, sure.

I think you may have misunderstood my intention.

I'd love to be able to turn on/off everything (Axe/Monitors/etc) with one flick of my Furman switch. As it is now, I turn on everything but the monitors with the Furman this way, but I have the monitors on a separate surge protector that I turn on after everything boots up.

I think you may have misunderstood my intention.

I'd love to be able to turn on/off everything (Axe/Monitors/etc) with one flick of my Furman switch. As it is now, I turn on everything but the monitors with the Furman this way, but I have the monitors on a separate surge protector that I turn on after everything boots up.
i guess i was commenting on other topics in this thread.

as i said, check with the manufacturer of the speakers to see if they can be turned off like that.

if you're already doing it with a separate surge protector, i don't see a reason why it can't all go on the furman.

My on routine:

Furman
Axe
CLRs

My off routine is the exact opposite.

At home I simplified my life by plugging the CLRs into this:

Amazon product ASIN B07W53C4FQ

Now I don’t have to reach around the back of them or squeeze into the corner

Yeah there's no difference whatsoever. The power switch on the Axe III literally just disconnects the power supply from the power socket on the back panel. It is exactly the same as unplugging the unit or turning off the power strip that feeds it.

Last edited:
I walk out to the garage and flip the breaker panel...

That's not the best idea. Circuit breakers are not meant to be turned on and off like a switch. Circuit breakers are much more complex devices than a regular switch, even more so, if they are arc-fault breakers.

If used as a switch, circuit breakers will wear out prematurely and may not open when they are supposed to in the event of short circuit. They will wear out even sooner, if the devices downstream from the circuit breaker are all on and all drawing current the instant you flip the breaker on.

Hi there, i know is a silly question but what the heck, how to properly turn on and off the Axe FX3? coming from the amp world where you have to first turn on the standby switch and so on, or also this being kind of a computer, don't know if it has to follow some procedure or if its as simple as just turn on and off? i have it plug into a Furman power conditioner, thank you.View attachment 50662
Just switch off your power amp, then switch the Axe off. That avoids any possibility of pops through the speakers. Start it up Axe first, power amp last.

BTW, are you related to Tony Vaz from NJ?

Anyone notice a pop with headphones when turning it off? Not ear damaging level but even with them off my head I hear the pop coming from the phones.

I always unplug my headphones before powering off out of habit from the II. With my lower impedance ATH-M50's, I've only had to make the mistake of leaving them plugged in and on my head when powering off once or twice. Ouch!

Thanks for confirmation. Maybe it could be an easy FW fix to mute like the normal outs.

Thanks for confirmation. Maybe it could be an easy FW fix to mute like the normal outs.
I do not think so... How can you predict switching the switch that physically cuts off the power? The pop is most probably discharge of condensers, nothing dangerous... I always shut down amp/monitors or teake the headphones off my head first before shut down axe rig - habit from the past... Anyway, there is no tubes here, so no special care needed

Finally, golden rule for audio - alway shut down firstly the last device , and shut down last the first device...

Back
Top Bottom