How to make lower gain Plexi pre set sound full?

If I was going that route I would take a real head and board which I will still do at most gigs
The goal here is to dial in a pre set that sounds killer in the FOH and my in ears. The majority of the audience only hears what comes out of the PA anyways
I get what your aiming for but comparing a guitar cabinet sound mixed with the PA is always going to sound more forward than just FOH in my experience. I run the PA for our band.

You could also try a Friedman tone stack in a Plexi amp model, see if that works for what you are going for.

Also, for the IR, if there is a real world can you like you could make an IR of it, or find one from someone like York Audio that is close to it.

Last edited:
The context is live use and what is coming out of the pa and my in ears whether I'm using a real rig or the Fractal -not bedroom playing.
Understood. You hadn't mentioned the in-ears, so I assumed that you were monitoring the real cab.

If you still have and Axe-Fx III, you could shoot an IR of your cab and mic. Then live tone match the mic'd up Amp/Cab.

I've had a shot at it* for you too. The alignment was a little out in your cab block and the levels were bordering on dangerous. I've created another cab channel with DC's and used the EV12L as one of the two cabs. It smooths things out and adds a nice midrange as well as having the extra headroom so you can slam it. The Bassman Bright you had in there for cleans is gone too, replaced with a good old JTM45 (the two are pretty similar). I've swapped out the Bosom Boost for an 808 also. Anyway, it kept me amused for 30 minutes or so. Good luck with your quest!

*Edit: Requires FW 23.03 b1 or later to run.

Attachments

• PlexiLive - BK Edit.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Plexi's get thinner as you lower the 'Gain' parameter by design. Try running the 'Gain' higher, and lower the 'Input Trim' parameter to reduce gain without affecting the tone.

And as already mentioned, turn off the 'Bright Switch' when using single-coils, and compensate with 'Treble' and/or 'Presence' as needed. Also play around with the 'Output EQ' in the Amp block to add or subtract post EQ as needed.
Your post got me thinking: what if I went beyond just going to "low input" at .5 and dimed out the gain and used the input gain instead? Initial result is I am digging it. It takes the notes sound direct instead of indirect, if that makes sense. It's like there is a thicker core with less fuzziness around it.

I took several ideas from the suggestions -thank you all! Lets keep the sample tweak and share going!
Here is what I landed on tonight. *Gig volume Turbosound IP3000 PA and QSC monitors

Dyna cabs dialed, Jumped added with less treble gain and more normal and a few other tweaks

Attachments

• T Icon.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 10
@cragginshred - I auditioned your preset this morning and I agree it sounds thin, especially when rolling back the guitar volume. How does the Lincoln Brewster patch and IR I sent you a few weeks ago compare?

If you switch your cab block to that Lincoln Brewster IR, try adding the PEQ block with these settings in place of your GEQ block. If you keep the LT TV Mix 7 IR (great sounding IR btw), you will need to further adjust the curve.

When I applied these changed, I was getting a thicker tone without sacrificing clarity in the mids and highs.

View attachment 130605
Where did you post this Lincoln Brewster preset ? 😬

Your post got me thinking: what if I went beyond just going to "low input" at .5 and dimed out the gain and used the input gain instead? Initial result is I am digging it. It takes the notes sound direct instead of indirect, if that makes sense. It's like there is a thicker core with less fuzziness around it.
Update: Coming back to it, I realized I wasn't really liking it that much. It seemed like it dulled the guitar. I actually ended up going the opposite direction and going to input trim 1 and am pretty happy with it on initial test (who knows if that'll change again later lol). Seems more open and alive.

Back
Top Bottom